Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sundapower

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 10, 2013
Norway
So, I'm using a Yamaha P-140 hooked up with my Macbook Pro using a Midi-USD cable. I'm mostly using it for Logic Pro X and Sibelius, and it works just fine. However when I use the sustain pedal, it's playing an E2 note and it's messing up all the sound adding a lot of reverb.

Now, this isn't a problem when I'm using the piano as it is. It's also not a problem with either Logic or Sibelius, cause when I'm testing it with the "Sound and MIDI Setup" app on Mac, the sustain pedal is recognized as one of the "hammers" on the keyboard.

I have no idea as how to fix this problem, and it's really annoying having to play super legato when I'm recording.

Thanks in advance.

Note: The keyboard have an "AUX Pedal" input and a "Sustain pedal" input.

USB MIDI Cable specs:
(As written on the package)
- Built-in driver
- USB powered and Class Complaint for true plug & play. Just connect to a computer USB socket for automatic installation of the driver.
- 1 in + 1 out MIDI interface; 16 MIDI input channels & 16 MIDI output channels
- LED's indicate power on, MIDI in signal and MIDI out signal.
- Supports Windows XP, Vista and Mac OS X operating systems

fastlanephil

macrumors 65816
Nov 17, 2007
I have a P-140 and have never had any problems like this. The P-140 sustain pedal also works with my Axion 49 keyboard controller on my iMac.

It might be a software issue with the MIDI to USB interface. Make sure you have the latest diver software from the manufacture and check to see if you need to uninstall the old driver before installing the new driver.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
I have a P-140 and have never had any problems like this. The P-140 sustain pedal also works with my Axion 49 keyboard controller on my iMac.

It might be a software issue with the MIDI to USB interface. Make sure you have the latest diver software from the manufacture and check to see if you need to uninstall the old driver before installing the new driver.

Drivers??? This isn't a 90's vintage Windows PC. The midi cable is class compliant and does not require that a driver be installed. Mac OS X directly support class compliant midi devices.

The sustain pedal is just a simple on/off switch, not much to go wrong. OK there are two kinds normally on and normally off.

One way to debug this is to look at the piano roll or better text based recording and read the MIDI events. What is the piano sending?

Some times the piano can be programmed to send different midi events for the pedal. it may be sending something really unexpected. First step is to read a recording

fastlanephil

macrumors 65816
Nov 17, 2007
Drivers??? This isn't a 90's vintage Windows PC. The midi cable is class compliant and does not require that a driver be installed. Mac OS X directly support class compliant midi devices.

Sure, modern midi interfaces but my MidiSport 2X2 still requires a driver(11/3/09- 3.0.4) for OSX 10.8. :D

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Sure, modern midi interfaces but my MidiSport 2X2 still requires a driver(11/3/09- 3.0.4) for OSX 10.8. :D

I think a 2x2 will need one. Class complient devices, I think are all just a single pair of cables.

For debugging a setup it is good to have an "uno" or the like cable that is known to work with the driver that is builtin to the OS.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
I just have a standard analogue sustain pedal attached to my Novation SL MK11 which works fine. I've also tested it with my Fiancee's Yamaha NPV 60 KB and it also works well. I'd get another pedal, as any standard product should work and should certainly NOT trigger notes.

Sundapower

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 10, 2013
Norway
I'll just add that I don't think this have anything to do with the pedal nor the piano, as this problem occur on every other piano I try.

Now, I've seen the event-recording in Logic for when I use the pedal, and it's picking up 4 signals. The first one is a "Controller" (as it say under "status") with the additional info "Sustain", the next 3 have the status "Note" each one triggering an E3.

I looked it up and the pedal is a Yamaha FC3 half damper sustain pedal. I'm not an expert when it come to pedals, but I believe a half damper is a pedal with multiple trigger points? Giving you different amounts of sustain depending on how much you're "pressing it".

And thank you all for your replies!

svetlik

macrumors newbie
Nov 12, 2013
Sundapower - have you found a solution to your "Sustain pedal not working with my MIDI setup"? I'm having the same exact problem - same exact set up. Appreciate yours or anyone elses reply.

Sundapower

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 10, 2013
Norway

Charlie Mac

macrumors newbie
Jan 8, 2015
if there is midi information recorded on the track from a previous take you will not be recording the sustain information on the new take. One way around this is to start with a blank slate and choose destructive record for the take. The only downfall to this is that if you need to punch in you're back to the same issue for the punch in section. If you need to punch in you'll have to delete all the Midi information in the punch in section first and the new sustain notes will have to match presicley. Id rather do whole takes in destructive record mode myself. I hope this helps. Now here is some unsolicited advice to leave you with.... If you're going to sing in public try to avoid chewing spinach with your front teeth!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.