Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues

Old Oct 10, 2013, 05:36 AM   #1
iMikeT
macrumors 68020

Police kill man with Down syndrome

Back in January, Robert “Ethan” Saylor, a 26 year old man with Down syndrome was killed by police officers over a movie ticket. Today, he's dead while the officers are still on the job.

Alternet - Killed by Cops Over a Movie Ticket: How Police Hurt the Disabled

----

So it's come to this? The police state and the mentality of "shoot first, ask questions later" has gotten so bad that those with mental disabilities are killed an nothing is done about it?

I realize this may not be anything new but how can those wearing a badge be trusted to protect the public when their first thought is to "shoot first"?
iMikeT is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2013, 07:41 AM   #2
MyMac1976
Banned

That's just a sad story in general
MyMac1976 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2013, 08:23 AM   #3
Tomorrow
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by iMikeT View Post
So it's come to this? The police state and the mentality of "shoot first, ask questions later" has gotten so bad that those with mental disabilities are killed an nothing is done about it?

I realize this may not be anything new but how can those wearing a badge be trusted to protect the public when their first thought is to "shoot first"?
Did they shoot the guy?
Old Oct 10, 2013, 08:53 AM   #4
VulchR
macrumors 68000

Very sad news to read, for all concerned. I think it should be kept in mind that some people with Down's are prone to violent outbursts and are not weak. Still, it would be foolish for police to expect the same level of comprehension and compliance from somebody who has Down's as that from a neurotypical person.
Old Oct 10, 2013, 08:53 AM   #5
rdowns
macrumors Penryn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomorrow View Post
Did they shoot the guy?
Nope, he died of asphyxiation. While this is tragic, they chose to use other than guns in their application of force. Sadly, similar results.
Old Oct 10, 2013, 09:41 AM   #6
MyMac1976
Banned

He had in IQ of 40, I have a feeling he just didn't understand rapid fire cop speak.
MyMac1976 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2013, 09:43 AM   #7
Tomorrow
macrumors 603

From Huffington Post:

Quote:
Saylor, 20, died Jan. 12 after the deputies, moonlighting as Westview Promenade mall security officers, tried to remove him from a Regal Cinemas Westview Stadium 16 auditorium at the management's request....Saylor ended up handcuffed on the floor after he became "verbally and physically resistant" to the deputies.

...none of the deputies hit or kicked Saylor, or used any force to his neck or head. The only police equipment used was three sets of handcuffs, linked together to accommodate Saylor's girth, Smith said.

He said Saylor was on his stomach for one to two minutes. When he showed signs of medical distress, the deputies immediately removed the handcuffs, called for an ambulance and began cardiopulmonary resuscitation, Smith said.
Which part of this story indicates "shoot first, ask questions later?"
Old Oct 10, 2013, 09:51 AM   #8
LIVEFRMNYC
macrumors 68040

Just like the article mentioned and also judging from the picture ....... It's impossible not to know this person had down syndrome, and the police not treating the situation as such is just 100% abuse.

Last edited by LIVEFRMNYC; Oct 10, 2013 at 10:28 AM. Reason: Because nobody has the sense to recognize a typo.
LIVEFRMNYC is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2013, 09:56 AM   #9
ucfgrad93
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIVEFRMNYC View Post
It's possible not to know this person had down syndrome, and the police not treating the situation as such is just 100% abuse.
Maybe it is just early in the morning, but your post makes no sense.
Old Oct 10, 2013, 10:04 AM   #10
SLC Flyfishing
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucfgrad93 View Post
As per the norm.
SLC Flyfishing is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2013, 10:10 AM   #11
LIVEFRMNYC
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Correction .. It's NOT possible.
Old Oct 10, 2013, 10:16 AM   #12
MonkeySee....
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Just like the article mentioned and also judging from the picture ....... It's possible not to know this person had down syndrome, and the police not treating the situation as such is just 100% abuse.
You looked at the guys picture and thought its possible not to know they had down syndrome??

I think it pretty obvious.

Always keep the rhythm in your feet and a little party in your shoulders. - Phil Dunphy
MonkeySee.... is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2013, 10:20 AM   #13
rhett7660
macrumors G3

Quote:
From Huffington Post:

Which part of this story indicates "shoot first, ask questions later?"
Easy this might not play into the loaded thread title, and the shoot first content of the first post.
Old Oct 10, 2013, 10:27 AM   #14
LIVEFRMNYC
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeySee.... View Post
You looked at the guys picture and thought its possible not to know they had down syndrome??

I think it pretty obvious.
IT'S A FREAKING TYPO!!!! You couldn't figure that out?
Old Oct 10, 2013, 10:35 AM   #15
TheAppleFairy
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Relax, now we know.
TheAppleFairy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2013, 10:35 AM   #16
ucfgrad93
macrumors G5

Quote:
Just checking to make sure what you really meant. No need to get your shorts all up in a bunch.
Old Oct 10, 2013, 10:44 AM   #17
LIVEFRMNYC
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Just checking to make sure what you really meant. No need to get your shorts all up in a bunch.
I wasn't replying to you.
Old Oct 10, 2013, 11:32 AM   #18
MonkeySee....
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Not quite a simply typo. One means one thing the other means something different.

Always keep the rhythm in your feet and a little party in your shoulders. - Phil Dunphy
MonkeySee.... is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2013, 11:57 AM   #19
LIVEFRMNYC
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeySee.... View Post
Not quite a simply typo. One means one thing the other means something different.
So you really thought I stated it's 100% abuse cause it's "possible" not to tell down syndrome? Really?
LIVEFRMNYC is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2013, 12:15 PM   #20
Carlanga
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by iMikeT View Post
Back in January, Robert “Ethan” Saylor, a 26 year old man with Down syndrome was killed by police officers over a movie ticket. Today, he's dead while the officers are still on the job.

Alternet - Killed by Cops Over a Movie Ticket: How Police Hurt the Disabled

----

Didi you even read the actual news about how he died

For anyone that actually read the news, I don't blame the cops since no signs of abuse was done and they tried to help when he was in distress.

----------

Quote:
Did they shoot the guy?
no
Old Oct 10, 2013, 12:35 PM   #21
LIVEFRMNYC
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlanga View Post
Didi you even read the actual news about how he died

For anyone that actually read the news, I don't blame the cops since no signs of abuse was done and they tried to help when he was in distress.

http://www.alternet.org/killed-cops-...age=1#bookmark

Quote:
Saylor, 26, passed away earlier this year after his larynx was crushed during a confrontation that ended with three off-duty sheriff’s officers attempting to subdue the man. Saylor was attending a screening of the film “Zero Dark Thirty” and reportedly refused to leave at the conclusion of the movie. When the deputies attempted to move him, Saylor’s caregiver warned that touching the man would make things worse. But according to witnesses, he was thrown to the ground and struggled under the weight of the three officers before he died.
Sounds like abuse to me. The caregiver even warned the cops. From the pic, he didn't seem like a small person. I can only imagine the amount of force used.
Old Oct 10, 2013, 12:41 PM   #22
rhett7660
macrumors G3

Quote:

Sounds like abuse to me. The caregiver even warned the cops. From the pic, he didn't seem like a small person. I can only imagine the amount of force used.
How does taking someone down to the ground sound like abuse? They did not beat him, in fact they used several sets of hand cuffs to ensure he was not in a position that was too constricting and harmful to his upper body.
Old Oct 10, 2013, 12:54 PM   #23
Carlanga
macrumors 603

Quote:

They had to subdue him and prob performed it by the book/ how they were taught to do so. It's a shame he died, but you can't blame them if they were following taught procedures.
Old Oct 10, 2013, 01:25 PM   #24
LIVEFRMNYC
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhett7660 View Post
How does taking someone down to the ground sound like abuse? They did not beat him, in fact they used several sets of hand cuffs to ensure he was not in a position that was too constricting and harmful to his upper body.
Then explain how he died of asphyxiation with damage to his larynx?

I bet one of the cops had his knee or elbow on the guy's neck using way to much force.

Funny how in sitituations where a taser would work best, they don't use it.
Old Oct 10, 2013, 02:12 PM   #25
rdowns
macrumors Penryn

Quote:
Then explain how he died of asphyxiation with damage to his larynx?

I bet one of the cops had his knee or elbow on the guy's neck using way to much force.

Funny how in sitituations where a taser would work best, they don't use it.

It sure is an interesting juxtaposition to see your attitude in the motorcycle thread compared to it in this thread.

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues