Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TH55

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011
I am so damn sick of this, it's happening everywhere!!

First Facebook, then Google, and now Twitter!!

I downloaded the latest version of Twitter and you can no longer view photos in full screen without the caption and tweet info. You used to be able to simply tap the screen and everything would disappear leaving just the photo. Has anyone noticed this?? It's so frustrating to me really.

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
I am so damn sick of this, it's happening everywhere!!

First Facebook, then Google, and now Twitter!!

I downloaded the latest version of Twitter and you can no longer view photos in full screen without the caption and tweet info. You used to be able to simply tap the screen and everything would disappear leaving just the photo. Has anyone noticed this?? It's so frustrating to me really.

I just updated twitter for iOS and I am able to remove the tweet info by swiping down on the info no longer using the tap method you mentioned above. I am then left with just the photo.

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
What does that mean

Tautology (rhetoric), a self-reinforcing pretense of significant truth
Tautology (grammar), the use of redundant words
Tautology (logic), a universal truth in formal logic
Tautology (rule of inference), a rule of replacement for logical expressions
Tautonym, a species name where both parts are identical

TH55

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011
I just updated twitter for iOS and I am able to remove the tweet info by swiping down on the info no longer using the tap method you mentioned above. I am then left with just the photo.

Oh, you're right thank you. While I'm glad you are still able to do this, I much preferred the tap method, way easier and more efficient when scrolling through pics if you want to quickly display/remove info/comments about pic. Don't you think?

ElectronGuru

macrumors 68000
Sep 5, 2013
Oregon, USA
My favorite examples of this are in chain restaurants. There's a department at HQ filled with people who's only job is making up new flavors and combinations. If they stop they don't get paid, so what you get is a constant stream of new items that more often than not, replaces what you already love.

In tech, I call it an UnFeature. Something that was was already working gets improved for improvements sake. It's usually wise to hold out on installing feature releases to see if the coast is clear.

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Oh, you're right thank you. While I'm glad you are still able to do this, I much preferred the tap method, way easier and more efficient when scrolling through pics if you want to quickly display/remove info/comments about pic. Don't you think?

Not really, I am so used to swiping now, it is natural for me.

leftywamumonkey

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2010
California
Well, not software, but I hate the direction that YouTube has been going.
I can't access my inbox to check on comments directly anymore, you have to have a google account associated with it, turning on and off annotations requires an additional step now, and the homepage layouts keep getting worse.

decafjava

macrumors 603
Feb 7, 2011
Geneva
Well, not software, but I hate the direction that YouTube has been going.
I can't access my inbox to check on comments directly anymore, you have to have a google account associated with it, turning on and off annotations requires an additional step now, and the homepage layouts keep getting worse.

Ugh THIS 1000 times. Gets really confusing. Plus my provider has been throttling me I think. :mad:

Kissaragi

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2006
Worse for you.

Until you've conducted a survey of all users, please don't speak for them.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
Google makes everything worse. :rolleyes:

Their homepage - Having to click twice to get to the news.

Google Play - Multiple issues since they tried to consolidate it.

Wallet - They're killing it slowly.

TH55

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011
Worse for you.

No, there are certain things that are objectively inferior and less efficient than before. Just because people are oblivious to them or easily pleased doesn't mean they don't exist.

ravenvii

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
Melenkurion Skyweir
No, there are certain things that are objectively inferior and less efficient than before. Just because people are oblivious to them or easily pleased doesn't mean they don't exist.

I thought this is true of the updated myAT&T app. I posted about it.

And some people posted saying they liked it.

I couldn't believe it.

MacCruiskeen

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2011
Worse for you.

It's true; I'm sure Microsoft would like to believe there are users who actually liked Vista.

At least with desktop apps you have some option to just not upgrade, at least for a little while. Eventually, you'll need something that will break your system. I've got OS X 10.6.8 on my iMac, it works, it's stable and pretty bug-free, and there's nothing in the newer systems that I really need. I have no intention of upgrading my copy of Adobe Creative Suite any further (no CC for me). But I won't be able to maintain it forever (likely there will be a hardware failure before then).

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
It's true; I'm sure Microsoft would like to believe there are users who actually liked Vista.

I don't think you'll find many people who will say that Vista was "good" at launch, but it was a necessity. It brought a GPU accelerated desktop to Windows, and re-wrote many subsystems which vastly improved driver stability (once they figured out how to write drivers). It's because of the groundwork laid out in Vista that Windows 7 was more like Windows 7 and less like Windows 98.

Of course there's Windows 8, and Microsoft removed Zune from Windows Phone 8, and a year later people are still complaining. But specifically about Vista, it wasn't bad, just not what you were expecting.

P.S. And lets not forget about every version of OS X between Snow Leopard and Mavericks where there is terrible support for multi-monitors.

Xerotech

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2011
All companies must make some sort of change. It can be good or bad, but change makes it more appealing to the general idiot-racy of the public. If it remains the same people quickly get 'bored' and a new hype takes over.

TH55

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011
All companies must make some sort of change. It can be good or bad, but change makes it more appealing to the general idiot-racy of the public. If it remains the same people quickly get 'bored' and a new hype takes over.
But why does the change have to remove things that worked well and that people liked??

Xerotech

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2011
But why does the change have to remove things that worked well and that people liked??

No idea, we'll have to ask the engineers. :p
They all assume it is easier and we'll adapt to it.
This is why I love competition. It continues to create new products/software and things that are more user-friendly. Other companies copy off each other and it's a win win for us consumers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.