Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Qaanol

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 21, 2010
The behavior of Preview in a specific use-case has definitely changed on my Mac sometime in the last 3 years. Preview says it is version 5.0.1, last modified in 2009, and I am still running Snow Leopard, though 10.6.8 now rather than 10.6.5 or 10.6.6 that I would have been running in January 2011.

At that time I was doing a project with some png images, and one of the things I did was make an elliptical selection, delete it (so it because transparent) and the flashing oval selection was still present so I could move it around and delete more ovals of exactly the same size and shape.

When I try to do the same thing now, the selection ellipse disappears as soon as I hit delete or backspace or ⌘X, so it is functionally impossible to do something that was previously trivially simple: delete multiple regions of the same size and shape from a png image in Preview.

When did this change, what caused it to change, and is there a way to get the previous behavior back?

Does any more recent version of OS X or Preview restore this previous functionality which was somehow stripped from my copy?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.