Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
I disliked the default settings with all that white, and the light KB, so I swirched to invert colours...Fine...EXCEPT it gives you negative inverse pictures of all your photo's. Apple: Please fix this, your own default wallpapers work both way's, so it's not that hard a tweak. I'm forced to go back to the white screen and KB because of this.

If the next update includes a fix for the photo's I'll be a lot happier with 7.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
It's not about fixing the invert colors option, given that what it does is exactly what it is supposed to do. If anything at all it might be about Apple providing a dark(er) color theme that could be selected by those who might want it.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jul 29, 2011
It's not about fixing the invert colors option, given that what it does is exactly what it is supposed to do. If anything at all it might be about Apple providing a dark(er) color theme that could be selected by those who might want it.

Given that the built in wallpapers work, it would not be difficult to change them in the photo folder, and in Youtube. It's just lazy coding IMO.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Given that the built in wallpapers work, it would not be difficult to change them in the photo folder, and in Youtube. It's just lazy coding IMO.
It wouldn't be the proper accessibility implementation of it, given the primary accessibility purpose of that feature.

Not to mention that the colors of built in or otherwise wallpapers also get inverted just like everything else when that feature is used, at least they certainly do on all the iOS devices I've tried it on.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jul 29, 2011
It wouldn't be the proper accessibility implementation of it, given the primary accessibility purpose of that feature.

Not to mention that the colors of built in or otherwise wallpapers also get inverted just like everything else when that feature is used, at least they certainly do on all the iOS devices I've tried it on.

It works perfectly, gives a dark background and KB, and makes folders and icons far easier to read...It's just photo's and videos that appear in negative format....If you invert a photo in Aperture or PS and use it it then works fine..I predict an update for this next time around.

vexorg

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2009
It works perfectly, gives a dark background and KB, and makes folders and icons far easier to read...It's just photo's and videos that appear in negative format....If you invert a photo in Aperture or PS and use it it then works fine..I predict an update for this next time around.

It's silly and lazy, invert should only invert the text and keyboard, or outline the text for higher contrast. Icons, apps, images, etc, should not be inverted. I dont see how inverted colour images help the visually impaired.

squeakr

macrumors 68000
Apr 22, 2010
Funny you should mention inverting colors and I just noticed (typing here at night in the mostly dark room) that the colors automatically seemed to invert/ change for the browser. The colors at night for the URL bar at the top and the navigation bar at the bottom of the Safari browser must be related to the light sensor. I so now want these changes engaged all the time now as it is such a nice contrast to the usual white and blue I have been used to seeing.

costabunny

macrumors 68020
May 15, 2008
Weymouth, UK
I just wish there was a keyboard option to have light or dark. I love the dark one used for example in the spotlight search page.

Sigh

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
Thank you OP. I actually like this invert color option. Much easier than the original theme.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Funny you should mention inverting colors and I just noticed (typing here at night in the mostly dark room) that the colors automatically seemed to invert/ change for the browser. The colors at night for the URL bar at the top and the navigation bar at the bottom of the Safari browser must be related to the light sensor. I so now want these changes engaged all the time now as it is such a nice contrast to the usual white and blue I have been used to seeing.
You are probably just talking about using Safari in regular mode which the white UI vs. using it in private mode with a darker UI to differentiate it. As I recall only the stock Maps app will actually change its background color based on lighting conditions/time of day.

----------

It's silly and lazy, invert should only invert the text and keyboard, or outline the text for higher contrast. Icons, apps, images, etc, should not be inverted. I dont see how inverted colour images help the visually impaired.
That's all it should do when used for accessibility? Is there information out there somewhere that supports that?

----------

Nothing to update. It worked like this for years and a number if iOS versions, so why would something that works as designed for a long time now need to be changed to work differently from what it was designed for?

squeakr

macrumors 68000
Apr 22, 2010
Well I'll be, you are right and somehow private browsing did get turned on. I must have hit it by accident as I never purposely selected it when opening a new tab. Nice catch though and that is what it was. Funny that it made all my pages private and didn't prompt me the way that it just did when checking it out changing that setting.

vexorg

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2009
That's all it should do when used for accessibility? Is there information out there somewhere that supports that?

Other devices, even windows has a high contrast mode that does similar, only to the text or frames! why do you think inverted colour (negative) images on icons or photos help the visually impaired? Some icons just look like mush when negative.

Other than blind stupidity to think photos look when negative, no there is nothing to support that.

white4s

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2011
New Jersey
I disliked the default settings with all that white, and the light KB, so I swirched to invert colours...Fine...EXCEPT it gives you negative inverse pictures of all your photo's. Apple: Please fix this, your own default wallpapers work both way's, so it's not that hard a tweak. I'm forced to go back to the white screen and KB because of this.

that's what it's suppose to do, invert the colors. wouldn't make sense if pictures stayed normal

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Other devices, even windows has a high contrast mode that does similar, only to the text or frames! why do you think inverted colour (negative) images on icons or photos help the visually impaired? Some icons just look like mush when negative.

Other than blind stupidity to think photos look when negative, no there is nothing to support that.
So other devices have a faerie that works differently and is actually therefore named differently. That seems logical, right?

So, again, doesn't seem like there's anything that has been bright up that provides support to the idea that invert colors doesn't work the way it's supposed to work for accessibility reasons.

ElectronGuru

macrumors 68000
Sep 5, 2013
Oregon, USA
When you're in a pitch black room, low is never enough. I've always used invert colors as a way to get darker that the lowest brightness setting. Over the years, Ive learned to expect crapy results for photos and tend to specialize in text uses (reading) when doing so.

Would I rather have a true low low that saves power and preserves color, hell yeah. But I presume there is a technical or user limitation (like people would call that their screen won't turn on cause they can't see it in a bright room). So I deal. Btw, 7 moved the accessibility menu higher, so that at least saves a step in my twice a day inverting ritual.

XboxMySocks

macrumors 68020
Oct 25, 2009

You predict wrong. The inverted colour options are for people with visual disabilities, not a theme for people who don't like white.

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles

Invert colors isn't a "theme" switcher. It's for visually impaired users.

nikicampos

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2011

It's not a dark theme option, it's an accessibility option, it's been there in previous iOS versions, it's been there in OS X also.

Please stop been being so stubborn, this option is not broken, it doesn't need a fix, it works the way it's supposed to work, it will not change in the next updates.

koa

macrumors 6502
Jan 8, 2005
Hawaii
I have the home button set to invert colors by triple clicking which makes it easy to toggle back and forth for viewing pictures or reading at night.

Altis

macrumors 68040
Sep 10, 2013
I have the home button set to invert colors by triple clicking which makes it easy to toggle back and forth for viewing pictures or reading at night.

As do I. It's so much easier on the eyes than white at night. Useful for email, messages, safari, notes, etc..

Sadly, music has gone all white lit too... so that needs to be inverted, which inverts the colors of the album art.

Most people I've shown this have adopted it and flip back and forth at night.

A dark theme would be so nice. But alas, Apple doesn't give people what they want.

youknome

macrumors 6502a
Nov 22, 2010

SNAP! I do the exact same thing. Believe me, lying in bed looking at your phone in the dark is like staring into the sun.

They definitely need a dark option, especially with all this white.

palmerc2

macrumors 68000
Feb 29, 2008
Los Angeles
A black / dark theme would be much welcomed!!

At least make it an option

Because I must say, the theme looks brilliant when the colors are inverted. Just sucks about the pictures also inverting.

bflowers

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2006
.I predict an update for this next time around.

well, it didn't get fixed for 7.0.3 I guess I will have to go into Aperture and invert them myself so that iOS Seven Hells! can revert them to normal.

Oh, and it inverts everything, including graphics in Mail. How did anyone at Apple think this is what people wanted in Accessibility. Black background White text is all most people that work with visually impaired people would want.

I guess I really don't want to invert all colors, just a dark theme with light text. Less eye strain that way.

powerstrokin

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2013
If iOS had a dark theme like you people want... then someone else will just complain that iOS looks like Android.

FFS, you people are never happy. It's a phone. Get over it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.