Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > iPad Apps

Old Oct 11, 2013, 03:35 AM   #1
Davidkoh
macrumors 65816

Problems with Airplay in nPlayer?

Hey.

Since iOS 7 I noticed that when I airplay with nPlayer I get audio only and I am wondering if anyone else noticed this problem? I cannot remember I had this problem before the update when I first tested airplay.
Davidkoh is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2013, 04:42 AM   #2
Menneisyys2
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidkoh View Post
Hey.

Since iOS 7 I noticed that when I airplay with nPlayer I get audio only and I am wondering if anyone else noticed this problem? I cannot remember I had this problem before the update when I first tested airplay.
You must have switched to "Hardware" or "Software" decoding mode from the default "QuickTime". Then, if you don't enable mirroring (and, with AirPlay & video playback, you NEVER should), there will only be audio output.

I've written a mini-tutorial on switching between these decoding modes (also) in my latest nPlayer review here at MR: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1652736 (see the first three screenshots in Section 2).

All this assumes you're trying to play back native iOS videos - that is, mov / mp4 / m4v files.
Menneisyys2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2013, 04:56 AM   #3
Menneisyys2
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menneisyys2 View Post
You must have switched to "Hardware" or "Software" decoding mode from the default "QuickTime". Then, if you don't enable mirroring (and, with AirPlay & video playback, you NEVER should), there will only be audio output.

I've written a mini-tutorial on switching between these decoding modes (also) in my latest nPlayer review here at MR: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1652736 (see the first three screenshots in Section 2).

All this assumes you're trying to play back native iOS videos - that is, mov / mp4 / m4v files.
Posted a more thorough elaboration in the original thread - see http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost...36&postcount=2
Old Oct 11, 2013, 05:28 AM   #4
Davidkoh
macrumors 65816

Apparently I only have this problem when streaming it, if the files are on the iPad I do not.
Davidkoh is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2013, 08:09 AM   #5
Menneisyys2
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidkoh View Post
Apparently I only have this problem when streaming it, if the files are on the iPad I do not.
Streaming from what kind of source?

UPnP: HW playback works just great assuming
- QuickTime decoding (NOT HW or SW!)
- iOS-native file formats

SMB: with iOS-native file formats, no QuickTime playback possible (HW is, but it still can't be sent over AirPlay). That is, if you have SMB but your source also supports UPnP, switch to UPnP.

Please also note that

1, I've published several articles here at MR on SMB / UPnP streaming, including even AirPlay
2, I've just posted an updated version of the above-linked review of three apps

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > iPad Apps