Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Old Oct 11, 2013, 06:12 AM   #1
3dy.ro
macrumors newbie

Need a copy of the System Preferences app for 10.5.8

Hello,

My System Preferences app doesn't open. It's missing from my Applications folder, it isn't in my dock, and when I try to open it from the menu it doesn't open at all.

I have tried repairing permissions and everything on the 'net.

I do not have my Mac install discs with me, as I'm not at home and won't be for a long while.

I need a copy of someone's System Preferences.app (he must be running 10.5.8, I believe). Just .zipping it, uploading it on DropBox and giving me the download link would mean the world for me!

Thanks!
3dy.ro is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2013, 11:50 AM   #2
benwiggy
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3dy.ro View Post
I have tried repairing permissions and everything on the 'net.
Repair Permissions does not magically recreate deleted files!!! In fact, it does very little, and should not be considered useful for most purposes.

Secondly: If you don't have a backup, make one. You can expect to lose files (more importantly, your own documents) without one.

Thirdly, while someone here may oblige, it's not the wisest move to accept executables from strange men on the internet.
If you need to set a particular preference, it may be possible to do so with defaults write commands in the Terminal for the time being. What do you need to configure?
Old Oct 12, 2013, 01:15 AM   #3
3dy.ro
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by benwiggy View Post
Repair Permissions does not magically recreate deleted files!!! In fact, it does very little, and should not be considered useful for most purposes.

Secondly: If you don't have a backup, make one. You can expect to lose files (more importantly, your own documents) without one.

Thirdly, while someone here may oblige, it's not the wisest move to accept executables from strange men on the internet.
If you need to set a particular preference, it may be possible to do so with defaults write commands in the Terminal for the time being. What do you need to configure?
Hi, thanks for the answer.

1) Well, it appears that pretty much everyone is suggesting this on every thread related to this issue, so I just wanted to make sure people understand that I did try it.

2) I will make a back-up, sure.

3) Nope, I need the whole System Preferences app. Using the Terminal to accomplish some tasks is provisory at most, for me. I really hope someone will be kind enough to share his System Preferences.app file with me. Maybe. Please?
3dy.ro is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2013, 06:30 AM   #4
benwiggy
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3dy.ro View Post
3) Nope, I need the whole System Preferences app. Using the Terminal to accomplish some tasks is provisory at most, for me.
Yes, using the Terminal is a temporary stop-gap until you get back home to your disks. What do you want to alter?
Old Oct 12, 2013, 10:44 AM   #5
BrianBaughn
macrumors 68020

I'm not entirely sure but this might work: download the 10.5.8 Combo updater from Apple and, using the app "Pacifist", extract the System Preferences app. I think to make sure things work properly you should then run the 10.5.8 Combo update.
BrianBaughn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2013, 11:44 AM   #6
Knoodles
macrumors 6502

Here you go.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/y45mcye9fd...references.zip
Knoodles is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help