Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Italianblend

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 21, 2011
Fatima
Hi, I like the fact that you can customize vibratns for texts, etc.

I made a custom text vibration. It works if the text app is not currently up. The notification pops up and I get the custom vibrate. But if I'm in the conversation I still get the standard vibrate. Is there a way to change this? Probably I'm just missing something obvious. Thanks.

Last edited:

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Hi, I like the fact that you can customize vibratns for texts, etc.

I made a custom text vibration. It works if the text app is not currently up. The notification pops up and I get the custom vibrate. But if I'm in the conversation I still get the standard vibrate. Is there a way to change this? Probably I'm just missing something obvious. Thanks.

There's no way to change it - same way that when you're in the app you don't get your standard text sound.

Italianblend

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 21, 2011
Fatima
There's got to be a way. Why would they include custom vibrations if it doesn't work in the actual app that it functions for?

bransoj

macrumors 68000
Jul 31, 2013
There's got to be a way. Why would they include custom vibrations if it doesn't work in the actual app that it functions for?

If you are replying to a text and you get one from the same person you dont get the normal notification sound so no reason you would get whatever is set as the normal vibration either.

Italianblend

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 21, 2011
Fatima
This is just another example of apple and lack of customization. Great feature to create custom vibrations. Love it. Go to apply it and you can't even use it in the app it was assigned to.

Why allow a notification a custom vibration and not a normal text message?

bransoj

macrumors 68000
Jul 31, 2013
This is just another example of apple and lack of customization. Great feature to create custom vibrations. Love it. Go to apply it and you can't even use it in the app it was assigned to.

Why allow a notification a custom vibration and not a normal text message?

It does work for texts doesnt it...the only time you dont get it is if you happen to be in the same conversation as the one you receive it to in which case you get a different notification noise as well.

Not seeing a big issue here!!

Italianblend

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 21, 2011
Fatima
It's not a big issue. I just want a little customization, that's all. I'm saying that the functionality of changing vibrations is cool. I like it a lot. But then I can't even implement it on the aspect of the software I want it on.

Who at apple would actually say "Well, let's allow users to use a custom vibration! That would be cool. But, let's not allow them to assign it to text messages in the text app."

I'm just asking what in the world would be the harm in allowing users to actually use this cool feature to assign it to what they want it to work for.

It's not a big issue in the large scheme of things. I guess it is to me. All I really want is for apple to relinquish it's silly hold on customizations. Allow me to change text colors so I don't have to stare at the same color for the next two years, and allow me to actually use this vibration feature the way I would like to. There should be no harm in that.

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
It's not a big issue. I just want a little customization, that's all. I'm saying that the functionality of changing vibrations is cool. I like it a lot. But then I can't even implement it on the aspect of the software I want it on.

Who at apple would actually say "Well, let's allow users to use a custom vibration! That would be cool. But, let's not allow them to assign it to text messages in the text app."

I'm just asking what in the world would be the harm in allowing users to actually use this cool feature to assign it to what they want it to work for.

It's not a big issue in the large scheme of things. I guess it is to me. All I really want is for apple to relinquish it's silly hold on customizations. Allow me to change text colors so I don't have to stare at the same color for the next two years, and allow me to actually use this vibration feature the way I would like to. There should be no harm in that.

I have a few questions..

Why do you need a custom vibration in the text app? You already have it open, you see who's texting you. The point of a custom vibration (and custom text tone) is so that you know who is texting you when you're not looking at the phone. It seems pointless.

bransoj

macrumors 68000
Jul 31, 2013

Yes you can though....the only time it wont work is when you are in the text app actually replying to the same person the text has just been received from so you wont need it anyway as you are staring at the screen. Any other time you will get whatever sound and vibrate you have set up so you have your customisation!!

Italianblend

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 21, 2011
Fatima
This is not a question of "needing" a custom vibration. They aren't needed. Life goes on without it.

After reading what you guys said, I understand that the point of custom vibrations is to recognize who is contacting you without looking at your phone. That point is taken and I agree.

Now, all I want (not need), is to be able to control the type of vibration that occurs when you are texting. Is there a way to do this?

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
This is not a question of "needing" a custom vibration. They aren't needed. Life goes on without it.

After reading what you guys said, I understand that the point of custom vibrations is to recognize who is contacting you without looking at your phone. That point is taken and I agree.

Now, all I want (not need), is to be able to control the type of vibration that occurs when you are texting. Is there a way to do this?

As previously answered, no, there is no way to do this.

ncaissie

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2011
Because the vibrations give you notice when you are not looking and you can tell who just by feel. When you are looking at the app why get the vibration? You know who it is and you are just killing the battery for nothing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.