Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X

Old Dec 4, 2005, 06:25 PM   #1
generik
Banned

Where is the "Master password" of OSX stored?

I have been trying to get mine reset, but I can't seem to do that.

Is the password stored in a file or something? At least then I can probably just delete it and get OSX to accept a new password.
generik is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2005, 06:41 PM   #2
zen.state
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by generik

Is the password stored in a file or something? At least then I can probably just delete it and get OSX to accept a new password.
I could tell you but then I would have to kill you..

Seriously though.. it must be somewhere in keychains data files. not sure exactly where though.
zen.state is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2005, 06:46 PM   #3
rendezvouscp
macrumors 68000

Send a message via AIM to rendezvouscp
Pop in a Mac OS X Install disc or the disc that came with your computer, and look under the menu options. You'll be able to reset the password there.
-Chase
Old Dec 4, 2005, 06:48 PM   #4
Gokhan
macrumors 6502a

k

start up from a install cd and look in the menu's above it will list reset password as one of them and you are the legal owner of ur mac right !!

i had to pay 80 for a system reinstall to learn that info
Old Dec 4, 2005, 06:48 PM   #5
Mitthrawnuruodo

Quote:
Originally Posted by generik

You could just have searched the forums... this has been answered LOTS of times...

Mac OS X: Changing or resetting an account password
Old Jul 31, 2010, 11:17 AM   #6
Schmye Bubbula
macrumors newbie

Nobody answered the second part of the original poster's question: is the password stored in a text file somewhere? No doubt it's encrypted therein, but would deleting it prompt for a new password? (Never mind about the permissions & ownership of such a file for now.) Or maybe doing so would put one up the creek without a paddle?
Schmye Bubbula is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2010, 11:29 AM   #7
dolphindolphin
macrumors regular

holy crap that was one of the biggest revivals i've seen on this site.
Old Jul 31, 2010, 11:34 AM   #8
Caleb531
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmye Bubbula View Post
Nobody answered the second part of the original poster's question: is the password stored in a text file somewhere? No doubt it's encrypted therein, but would deleting it prompt for a new password? (Never mind about the permissions & ownership of such a file for now.) Or maybe doing so would put one up the creek without a paddle?
It would have to be stored somewhere (otherwise OS X couldn't know the right password), but I'm sure it is well hidden in one of those folders only your Mac can access. :P
Caleb531 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2010, 11:34 AM   #9
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Quote:
They're not answering because the thread is 5 years old and the OP was banned from this site 3 1/2 years ago. Please check dates of the last post in a thread. And Mitthrawnuruodo answered the OP with the only information needed to resolve the problem.
GGJstudios is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2010, 11:34 AM   #10
Consultant
macrumors G5

Quote:
Keychain =/= text

Deleting keychain is a bad idea. "Forgetting" your master password that you have to use every time you install software? Unlikely.

Holy thread resurrection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGJstudios View Post
They're not answering because the thread is 5 years old and the OP was banned from this site 3 1/2 years ago. Please check dates of the last post in a thread.
It's the new search. =p We need to make a song, the thread search song!

If you want to post a thread please search
If you found a old thread please check last post date

Now sing with me!
Consultant is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2010, 11:43 AM   #11
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Consultant View Post
It's the new search. =p We need to make a song, the thread search song!

If you want to post a thread please search
If you found a old thread please check last post date

Now sing with me!
I hate to criticize your songwriting skills, but you gotta rhyme!
Before you post, use your head
Search to find what others said
If you find a related thread
Check to see that it ain't dead.
Old Jul 31, 2010, 11:45 AM   #12
Consultant
macrumors G5

Quote:
Nice. Need to make a Macrumors song!
Consultant is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2010, 11:50 AM   #13
dolphindolphin
macrumors regular

Quote:
I was singing it as "if you're happy and you know it clap your hands". Is that right?
Old Jul 31, 2010, 11:55 AM   #14
Schmye Bubbula
macrumors newbie

From the on-point, helpful, useful, generous replies thus far today, I've been able to glean the following (do I have this straight, that it would give someone the opportunity to enter a new login password if, e.g., one has lost the install disc or the optical drive is inoperative?):

boot in single-user mode (Cmd-S)
mount -uaw
rm /private/var/db/.AppleSetupDone
reboot
Schmye Bubbula is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2010, 11:55 AM   #15
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Quote:
Originally Posted by dolphindolphin View Post
I was singing it as "if you're happy and you know it clap your hands". Is that right?
I couldn't come up with a tune right now because my wife is playing "More Bounce To The Ounce" by Zapp.

Quote:
to enter a new login password if, e.g., one has lost the install disc or the optical drive is inoperative?):
Ever hear of Google?

http://www.google.com/search?q=mac+o...A&ved=0CAgQpwU
How to reset your Mac OS X password without an installer disc ...

Last edited by GGJstudios; Jul 31, 2010 at 12:18 PM.
Old Jul 31, 2010, 12:34 PM   #16
Ganesha
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb531 View Post
It would have to be stored somewhere (otherwise OS X couldn't know the right password), but I'm sure it is well hidden in one of those folders only your Mac can access. :P
No, it doesn't. A properly implement password system never stores password, but instead stores the password hash.
Ganesha is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2010, 03:25 PM   #17
Lokrado
macrumors regular

So have I got this right?
I can just pop in the install disc and gain access to any OS X system?!
What if it is filevault protected?
Lokrado is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2010, 03:26 PM   #18
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lokrado View Post
So have I got this right?
I can just pop in the install disc and gain access to any OS X system?!
What if it is filevault protected?
Install discs are specific to the model they shipped with. A MacBook install disc won't work on a MBP, for example.
Old Jul 31, 2010, 03:30 PM   #19
Sun Baked
macrumors G5

If you have the computer, all you have to do is boot up into single user mode and delete the "AppleSetupDone" file.

This tells the computer to redo the first startup sequence asking for the setup and administrator password.

Schmye Bubbula tells you how to do this, really easy way to kill off the administrator password and gain entry to a machine.
Old Jul 31, 2010, 03:52 PM   #20
Lokrado
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Baked View Post
If you have the computer, all you have to do is boot up into single user mode and delete the "AppleSetupDone" file.

This tells the computer to redo the first startup sequence asking for the setup and administrator password.

Schmye Bubbula tells you how to do this, really easy way to kill off the administrator password and gain entry to a machine.
Right, but this wouldn't leave my homefolder exposed if it is encrypted with filevault?
What about keychains?
Old Jul 31, 2010, 05:46 PM   #21
iVoid
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Right, but this wouldn't leave my homefolder exposed if it is encrypted with filevault?
What about keychains?
As far as I know, there's no way to reset the master password for filevault if you forget the original. All the people above are talking about resetting admin passwords or creating a new admin user (neither of which will give access to a filevault protected user directory).

Not sure where the master filevault password stored on a global scale, but it (or more likely a hash of it) is saved as part of the encryption keys on the encrypted volumes of Filevault protected users.

I'm pretty sure it's not in one of the keychains and it's possible they only save the master filevault password in each encrypted user sparsebundle file.

Basically, you can only mount a user's encrypted volume with their password or the master filevault password

But in the end, if you're hoping to open a filevault encrypted file, you need the user's password or the master filevault password. If there's some backdoor or way to reset the master filevault password without the master filevault password (which I hope they aren't stupid enough to have done), then Apple's got a HUGE security problem.
iVoid is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2010, 06:08 PM   #22
Lokrado
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by iVoid View Post
I'm pretty sure it's not in one of the keychains and it's possible they only save the master filevault password in each encrypted user sparsebundle file.
Right, but say I have an .sparsebundle outside the home folder and have the password in my keychain, could the password get exposed that way?

So basically I'm asking the same thing again, if someone makes a new admin password, does that open up my keychain to them?

Quote:
Basically, you can only mount a user's encrypted volume with their password or the master filevault password
good to hear, I just got parts of my sanity back....

Quote:
But in the end, if you're hoping to open a filevault encrypted file, you need the user's password or the master filevault password. If there's some backdoor or way to reset the master filevault password without the master filevault password (which I hope they aren't stupid enough to have done), then Apple's got a HUGE security problem.
Annother security concern I spotted: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=981859

Last edited by Lokrado; Jul 31, 2010 at 06:15 PM.
Old Jul 31, 2010, 06:34 PM   #23
iVoid
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Right, but say I have an .sparsebundle outside the home folder and have the password in my keychain, could the password get exposed that way?

So basically I'm asking the same thing again, if someone makes a new admin password, does that open up my keychain to them?
Not if it's in your 'login' keychain, since that keychain is stored in your home directory which is protected by filevault.

Of course, even if you have a keychain saved elsewhere, you still need the user's password to access it. I don't think admins have access to keychains without the user's password. I remember having to delete a lot of login keychains when the user forgot their password or changed it and it didn't change their keychain password for some reason.

But if it's in your filevault disk image, you're pretty safe.

Personally, I don't save the passwords for my sensitive encrypted spareimage files in my keychain just to be extra safe.
iVoid is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X