Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jony Mac

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
Someone recommended I place this post here.

I've dug around and found no solution. Yesterday I setup my iPhone 5s, by doing a iCloud backup from my iPhone 4S.

I wanted to put some music on it afterwards and I noticed that after I synch it put music on the iPhone I didnt sync.

When I looked at the music that was on the iPhone via iTunes I see about 80 songs that are listed in grey w/ a dotted circle. I cannot remove these "songs" or ghost songs at all. I tried syncing w/ the manual option checked, filling up the phone with music and removing it.

See below. (Not my image, but saw a similar one on an Apple Support Page)

screenshot-greycircle.JPG

It seems like some metadata or something is hanging around. Has anyone else noticed this?

I dont know if its related, but now when I sync my iPad 4 w/ iTunes it gets stuck on "waiting for changes". Could this all be related to the latest iTunes update?

vespagirl

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2007
Connecticut
Someone recommended I place this post here.

I've dug around and found no solution. Yesterday I setup my iPhone 5s, by doing a iCloud backup from my iPhone 4S.

I wanted to put some music on it afterwards and I noticed that after I synch it put music on the iPhone I didnt sync.

When I looked at the music that was on the iPhone via iTunes I see about 80 songs that are listed in grey w/ a dotted circle. I cannot remove these "songs" or ghost songs at all. I tried syncing w/ the manual option checked, filling up the phone with music and removing it.

It seems like some metadata or something is hanging around. Has anyone else noticed this?

I dont know if its related, but now when I sync my iPad 4 w/ iTunes it gets stuck on "waiting for changes". Could this all be related to the latest iTunes update?

I had the same issue last night while transferring playlists to my phone. The only music available on my phone is the stuff I actually purchased on the phone or my iPad. Other stuff has that greyed out circle when showing my On This iPhone list. Music is still in my library, just not able to get it onto the phone. I have zero insight into this issue, but I will be following this thread.

LapsangSouchong

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2010
the burrows
Ditto (iphone5) since downloading itunes 11.1.1 MANY of my albums, and ALL of my audiobooks have the circle.

I can work around it with the audiobooks by using the audible app, but come on apple!

ETA: on the apple forums someone said they looked in sys logs and saw that iTunes wasn't finding something it needed.

Jony Mac

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
Yeah, I guess I could try wiping the device and setting up new, but that is such a hassle, and I think is something unacceptable for this issue.

LapsangSouchong

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2010
the burrows
Yeah, I guess I could try wiping the device and setting up new, but that is such a hassle, and I think is something unacceptable for this issue.
I'm not convinced ANY of my itunes would return. I tried Unsyncing the audiobooks and then resyncing them, which has worked in the past, and lost the few that were there from my phone.

But thanks for the suggestion. Hope Apple figures it out quickly.

Jony Mac

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
I happened to talk to a genius..they said to wipe device, do not do an iCloud restore. Instead delete the iCloud backup and start over again. Then make a new backup. What a pain...

There has to be an easier way

awintersdaybyth

macrumors member
Feb 22, 2013
I have been having the same problem since upgrading to ios7 on an iphone 4.

The only way I got it to work was to do a restore I'm afraid....

LapsangSouchong

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2010
the burrows
I think that is a little different than my issue. I can put music on the device w/ no problem. My issue is there seems to be songs still on the device that I can't get rid of.

Ahh yes, that may be. Mine shows the grey circle on itunes and won't let me put them ON my iphone. I did the restore, and that worked, with one caveat: no matter what I told itunes, it chose a backup from last year.

boats4chris

macrumors newbie
Aug 8, 2012
Authorize device?

When I plugged in my new 5s iTunes said that I needed to authorize the device. Could this fix your problem?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.