Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Several threads on the Apple Support Communities forum are reporting random reboots on the iPhone 5s while using Apple's iWork apps, with the issue being signaled by the brief appearance of an all-blue screen naturally being compared to the famous Windows "Blue Screen of Death" (BSOD). The issue was reported by iPhone in Canada last month but has been gaining significantly more attention today after being picked up by The Verge.

As shown in videos posted by users, the issue may appear when a user simply opens a document in Pages or another iWork app and then closes the app by pressing the home button on their device. Double-pressing the home button to enter multitasking mode can also trigger the issue. Users in the threads are also reporting random reboots during regular device use, which also may be caused by a number of reasons specific to the device.

Users have reported that the error can be temporarily fixed by turning off iCloud syncing for Apple's Pages, Keynote and Numbers apps, but that fix does not appear to address the other random reboots on the device. Apple released iOS 7.0.2 last month with a fix for a lock screen passcode bypass issue, and was said to be seeding iOS 7.0.3 internally as of last week, but it is unknown if it will contain a fix, or whether Apple will deploy updates to its iWork suite of applications to remedy the problem.

Earlier today, a study showed that apps running on the iPhone 5s are crashing twice as frequently as on the iPhone 5c and iPhone 5, with the new 64-bit A7 chip and M7 motion coprocessor presumably adding wrinkles that may be causing some apps difficulties.

Article Link: iPhone 5s Users Reporting 'Blue Screen of Death' Error with iWork Apps

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
It could be iOS 7. Many people have been getting random reboots (without blue screen) on various devices other than the 5S.

musika

macrumors 65816
Sep 2, 2010
New York
It's not even with iWork for me. iTunes Radio causes it, as well as crashes all over the phone. Getting it replaced tonight.

longofest

Editor emeritus
Jul 10, 2003
Falls Church, VA
PANIC!!!!

No really... kernel panic.

From the other thread this morning, it would appear Apple has some work to do to iron out its 64 bit ARM drivers.

JBaker122586

macrumors 65816
Jun 21, 2007
Thank you.
I've been plagued by this issue since the day the 5S came out.
Can't believe it hasn't been fixed yet, or gotten any coverage up until now.

goobot

macrumors 603
Jun 26, 2009
long island NY
I personally haven't experienced any crashing on my 5S since the day it came out. Maybe I just haven't done anything to provoke it yet?

musika

macrumors 65816
Sep 2, 2010
New York
Some guy on another thread said all 4 replacements had the random reboots! I'm getting mine replaced next week so I really hope I'm not as unlucky as him.

I think 'some guy' is me! :eek:

Yeah, not really though. My first phone had reboots, second didn't but the home button was defective (gerr), third does. I get my forth (and please please final) one tonight.

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
I think 'some guy' is me! :eek:

Yeah, not really though. My first phone had reboots, second didn't but the home button was defective (gerr), third does. I get my forth (and please please final) one tonight.

Oh my bad then. Good luck and hopefully this one will be fine.

kristian123ish

macrumors newbie
Feb 3, 2013
It's doesn't have a blue screen for me

I've tried what the guy in the video did with the space grey 32 Gb iPhone 5s with pages but it doesn't happen with me

Last edited:

bacaramac

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2007
I get this with numbers on 5S. I noticed when I exit numbers if you wait a few seconds before doing anything else it won't do it. If you try to open another app right away it bsod.

vivescaramouche

macrumors newbie
Mar 17, 2010
I have had this and rang Apple support. They simply said that they were working on it.

The workaround is to come out of the doc you are in back to the Documents page showing all your files, then close the app. Never had a blue screen of death closing it done that way (cannot say that without an Eddie Izzard voice...'Cake or blue screen of deeeath'...'Cake or death').

mytakeontech

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2010
This is all expected due to new OS (at least a lot of new code which can be buggy), 64bit architecture.

That means opportunities for jailbreak too.

Won't be surprised if JB that comes out is as easy as Jailbreakme.com.

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
This is all expected due to new OS (at least a lot of new code which can be buggy), 64bit architecture.

That means opportunities for jailbreak too.

Won't be surprised if JB that comes out is as easy as Jailbreakme.com.

Who would want to be on an unstable version of iOS just to be jailbroken? I would LOVE to have my 5S jailbroken but not at the expense of constant reboots.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.