Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues

Old Oct 11, 2013, 11:49 AM   #1
ElectronGuru
macrumors 65816

Would you vote for a third party?

http://www.politico.com/story/2013/1...oll-98170.html
Quote:
The numbers cap off a week of records in Gallup’s polling that show American frustration with the government shutdown. A poll Wednesday found approval of the Republican Party at a record low for either party, and another found that concern about government dysfunction skyrocketed this month to a 74-year high. On Thursday, a poll found Americans’ satisfaction with government was at a record low.

I know our electoral system makes them nearly impossible, but given the choice - how good would a third option even have to be to be an improvement?
Old Oct 11, 2013, 12:08 PM   #2
Mousse
macrumors 65816

I voted for H Ross Perot...twice no less. So yeah, I would throw my vote away rather than give them to either Democrats or Republicans.
Old Oct 11, 2013, 12:20 PM   #3
thekev
macrumors 603

It would initially be easier at the state and local level. It would provide the capacity for differentiation without "endless" funding. For a third party to show real viability at the national level, we would require restrictions on campaign finance, further restrictions on non-profits such as churches, and a revision of the electoral college system, possibly a combination of those. As it stands right now these guys remain in office in spite of dismal approval ratings.
Old Oct 11, 2013, 12:22 PM   #4
Happybunny
macrumors 68000

A vote for a third party is in my opinion a wasted vote until you change the system. For real multiparty democracy you need proportional representation.
Old Oct 11, 2013, 12:22 PM   #5
SLC Flyfishing
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mousse View Post
I voted for H Ross Perot...twice no less. So yeah, I would throw my vote away rather than give them to either Democrats or Republicans.
I voted for Gary Johnson in 2012, and didn't cast a ballot for president in 2008.

I'm conservative in some areas, more liberal in others. But I don't line up well with either D's or R's and think they've both lost sight of what is important in governing.
SLC Flyfishing is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2013, 12:45 PM   #6
CalWizrd
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLC Flyfishing View Post
... I'm conservative in some areas, more liberal in others. But I don't line up well with either D's or R's and think they've both lost sight of what is important in governing.
I'm 100% in agreement with this... it describes my situation exactly.
Old Oct 11, 2013, 01:17 PM   #7
SwiftLives
macrumors Demi-God

Send a message via AIM to SwiftLives
A third party only serves to split a faction of the voters...not to mention donations. I don't think there are currently enough corporate backers to fund a viable third party.
SwiftLives is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2013, 02:25 PM   #8
citizenzen
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happybunny View Post
A vote for a third party is in my opinion a wasted vote until you change the system. For real multiparty democracy you need proportional representation.
This. Change the system. Otherwise, I won't waste my vote.
citizenzen is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2013, 02:34 PM   #9
SLC Flyfishing
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenzen View Post
This. Change the system. Otherwise, I won't waste my vote.
You talk about wasting your vote, but what do you do when you're equally repulsed by both parties? Or if the lesser of two evils is still more than you feel comfortable endorsing?
SLC Flyfishing is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2013, 02:37 PM   #10
barkomatic
macrumors 68040

I think if voters are frustrated at the way government works (or doesn't work) then they should look in the mirror. Everyone in Congress and the President are elected -- this government is not imposed on us. The stubborn, no compromise attitude of many politicians directly corresponds with that exact attitude of the electorate.

To more directly answer the OP's questions, I'd vote for a third party if I agreed with the vision of the candidate but I don't think that a major third party would automatically mean things would work better.
barkomatic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2013, 02:45 PM   #11
citizenzen
macrumors 65816

Quote:
You talk about wasting your vote, but what do you do when you're equally repulsed by both parties? Or if the lesser of two evils is still more than you feel comfortable endorsing?
It's an easy choice.

Only one of the two major parties supports a woman's right to choose. Only one of the two major parties recognizes Climate Change is real and needs to be addressed. Only one of the two major parties seems committed to maintaining social safety nets. Only one of the two major parties thinks there's any need for stronger gun control. Only one of the two major parties embraces the role of government that reflects my values. Only one of the two major parties believes in regulating private industry. Only one of the two major parties believes that endangered species need to be protected ...

Shall I go on?
citizenzen is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2013, 02:53 PM   #12
CalWizrd
macrumors 6502

Quote:
It's an easy choice.

Only one of the two major parties supports a woman's right to choose. Only one of the two major parties recognizes Climate Change is real and needs to be addressed. Only one of the two major parties seems committed to maintaining social safety nets. Only one of the two major parties thinks there's any need for stronger gun control. Only one of the two major parties embraces the role of government that reflects my values. Only one of the two major parties believes in regulating private industry. Only one of the two major parties believes that endangered species need to be protected ...

Shall I go on?
You are correct. It is an easy choice. For you.
Old Oct 11, 2013, 03:04 PM   #13
iMikeT
macrumors 68020

I threw my vote away on a third party in the 2012 elections. There was no way I would have voted for Romney and in good conscience, I could not vote for Obama based on weak his first term was.
iMikeT is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2013, 03:27 PM   #14
splitpea
macrumors 6502a

There are virtually no truly competitie elections where I live, so I do often vote for third parties -- it won't change the election outcome but it helps keep them on the ballot and get them campaign finance funds. It's also possible in many elections to vote for a major party candidate on a third party ticket, which has the same effect.
splitpea is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2013, 03:53 PM   #15
SLC Flyfishing
macrumors 65816

Quote:
It's an easy choice.

Shall I go on?
I should have made my question more plain apparently.

What do you SUGGEST to someone like I described above?
SLC Flyfishing is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2013, 03:55 PM   #16
splitpea
macrumors 6502a

Quote:

Run for office yourself?

Start or join a grass roots organization focused on changing the system?
Old Oct 11, 2013, 03:57 PM   #17
TacticalDesire
macrumors 68020

Libertarian Party
Slate iPad Mini 16gb (iOS 8.1)
TacticalDesire is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2013, 04:02 PM   #18
Macky-Mac
macrumors 68020

Quote:
I suspect that Citizen isn't actually repulsed by both parties.....just by the republicans.

As for myself, I've voted for third party candidates several times and likely will again in the future. There's no surer way to prevent change than feeling compelled to pick between just two parties, both of which you don't find acceptable

Last edited by Macky-Mac; Oct 11, 2013 at 04:11 PM.
Macky-Mac is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2013, 04:10 PM   #19
citizenzen
macrumors 65816

Quote:

Weigh your alternatives.

Make an informed choice.
citizenzen is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2013, 04:33 PM   #20
Huntn
macrumors 604

I would and I have.
Huntn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2013, 05:30 PM   #21
jnpy!$4g3cwk
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectronGuru View Post
http://www.politico.com/story/2013/1...oll-98170.html

I know our electoral system makes them nearly impossible, but given the choice - how good would a third option even have to be to be an improvement?
I have voted for third-party candidates numerous times. It depends on the circumstances. I have also voted for Republicans at times. Recently, I have voted almost exclusively for Democrats, and, never for Republicans. Wherever fiscally conservative, socially liberal/libertarian, pro-welfare-state candidates are to be found.

Today's socially conservative Republicans are the antithesis of what I believe -- high-spending/low-tax/anti-welfare-state/pro-gun-lobby/socially-repressive/pro-racist-religious bigotry/pro-super-rich/pro-inequality/pro-ugly-ism Republicans.
jnpy!$4g3cwk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2013, 05:45 PM   #22
Eraserhead
macrumors G4

Small parties can have people who are pretty useless in them.
Eraserhead is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2013, 05:52 PM   #23
shinji
macrumors 6502a

Not a fan of the Libertarian or Green Party, so if those are my choices for third party, no.

Only if there were another party I really agreed with who had a reasonable shot at winning would I do that.
shinji is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2013, 06:01 PM   #24
robanga
macrumors 68000

I'd vote for a 3rd party - I vote for who i agree with based on my limited knowledge of the facts and the person. Whether than can win or not is not very much of a consideration.

----------

Quote:
Great reason to find someone else to vote for or to not vote at all.
Old Oct 11, 2013, 07:40 PM   #25
malman89
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwiftLives View Post
A third party only serves to split a faction of the voters...not to mention donations. I don't think there are currently enough corporate backers to fund a viable third party.
Billions of dollars were thrown around last election cycle. With a b. It's not that there's not enough money around, it's that currently it would be a poor investment - you're guaranteed more bang for buck funding one of the two major parties. Until there's a viable third party that has about even representation, it'll be money better spent elsewhere (in their minds).

---

I would and have voted for a third party candidate whose beliefs were more align with mine. I've also voted for Democrats and Republicans on a state/local level, depending on the candidate. I have never blindly voted all D or all R - now that is a wasted vote.
malman89 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues