Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Old Oct 11, 2013, 12:41 PM   #1
Zmijutin
macrumors member

Mavericks and Bootcamp Windows 8.1

Just a quick one..

Did somebody installed Windows 8.1 via bootcamp and does it work as it should?

Thanks!
Zmijutin is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2013, 12:52 PM   #2
jhfenton
macrumors regular

It's not a completely unreasonable question, but I had to laugh.

Your question rephrased: "Has anybody tested Microsoft's prerelease software with Apple's prerelease software?"

In my case, the answer is no. My Parallels VM and external standalone partition are both still at Windows 8. I won't try to upgrade those until after the official Windows 8.1 release.
jhfenton is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2013, 02:42 PM   #3
Fimeg
macrumors regular

Fear not...

I've had 8.1 running since DP2. It's pro-noblem. It works just as well as any Microsoft product. Clarified though, Bootcamp works no problem... but EFI booting is still a mess on my rMBP.
Fimeg is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2013, 03:00 PM   #4
pickaxe
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhfenton View Post

Your question rephrased: "Has anybody tested Microsoft's prerelease software with Apple's prerelease software?"

In my case, the answer is no. My Parallels VM and external standalone partition are both still at Windows 8. I won't try to upgrade those until after the official Windows 8.1 release.
The RTM versions of both Mavericks and Windows 8.1 have been out for a while. And just because software is prerelease doesn't mean nobody's using it and VM developers aren't testing against it.

Anyway, I'll be testing 8.1 on Mavericks pretty soon. Not expecting any problems.
pickaxe is online now   2 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2013, 03:01 PM   #5
Michael Goff
macrumors 68040

Windows 8.1 RTM works quite well bootcamped under Mavericks GM.

That being said, it works better if you use rEFInd and just install it on a partition of its own.
Old Oct 13, 2013, 05:17 AM   #6
Zmijutin
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhfenton View Post

I know it's a bit as you say unreasonable question. But both OS's are RTM or GM. So pretty much consumer versions. But there are just not enough people that installed 8.1 on mavericks GM so I asked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fimeg View Post
I've had 8.1 running since DP2. It's pro-noblem. It works just as well as any Microsoft product. Clarified though, Bootcamp works no problem... but EFI booting is still a mess on my rMBP.
What do you mean?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickaxe View Post
The RTM versions of both Mavericks and Windows 8.1 have been out for a while. And just because software is prerelease doesn't mean nobody's using it and VM developers aren't testing against it.

Anyway, I'll be testing 8.1 on Mavericks pretty soon. Not expecting any problems.
Nice, thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Goff View Post
Windows 8.1 RTM works quite well bootcamped under Mavericks GM.

That being said, it works better if you use rEFInd and just install it on a partition of its own.
I'm about to install that. I'm so 2013 )
Zmijutin is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2013, 12:13 AM   #7
pastrychef
macrumors 68020

I upgraded to Windows 8.1 today and it all works as it should. I have Bootcamp on a separate drive in my Mac Pro and also use that same installation with Vmware Fusion.

As usual, I had to activate Windows again after the update. I called the toll free Microsoft phone number and everything worked as normal.
iPhone 5 + iPhone 4 S⃣
pastrychef is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2013, 05:22 AM   #8
Humex
macrumors 6502

Does Apple offer an update to support Precision Touchpad (There is no reason that is not compatible) and be able to use gestures on Windows 8.1 for comfort on Modern UI.

Demo Touchpad Precision (Video)

Touchpad interactions (Documents)
Humex is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2013, 06:29 AM   #9
Alveezy
macrumors regular

I'm trying to create a Windows Install Disk via a USB but there's no feature for bootcamp anymore. I'm using a 2011 MacBook Pro, I've tried editing the .plist but then bootcamp stops working when i apply the edited .plist!

I'm also on OS X Mavericks GM. I do have the .iso file on my desktop but everytime it ask me to install a windows disc. please if someone can link me to a youtube tutorial that actually works for making an install disk for macs with optical drives.
Alveezy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2013, 07:07 AM   #10
exonico
macrumors newbie

Hello,

You can check this : http://rdonovan.com/2013/08/11/misad...a-macbook-pro/
This should help you with your issues.
exonico is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2013, 11:02 AM   #11
Krazy Bill
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humex View Post
Does Apple offer an update to support Precision Touchpad (There is no reason that is not compatible) and be able to use gestures on Windows 8.1 for comfort on Modern UI.
The touchpad drivers in Bootcamp really suck for Apple trackpads. Jerky scrolling, no gesture support, etc.

Are you saying that Win 8.1 provides these now?
Krazy Bill is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2013, 01:29 PM   #12
Humex
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazy Bill View Post
The touchpad drivers in Bootcamp really suck for Apple trackpads. Jerky scrolling, no gesture support, etc.

Are you saying that Win 8.1 provides these now?
If Precision Touchpad is provided in the SDK, then just update the driver.
Moreover, I learned that some apps Modern UI will incorporate these gestures to interact better.
Humex is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > OS X Mavericks (10.9)