Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Digital Audio

Old Dec 4, 2005, 07:57 PM   #1
Joeytpg
macrumors 6502

M-box 2 or something else? (HELP!)

Hi guys, first of all, thanks in advanced for any responses...

...i'm about to start a Master Course in Audio Production (2006) and i'm starting to build a little recording gear-software package. I'm a musician (Guitarist Vocalist) and my plan is to start learning the programs that i'll be using in my classes (Proo Tools, Logic, etc) and of course the best way is to jump in and start practicing BEFORE the classes start.

i've been thinking about getting an mbox 2 to hook it up with a Rev E Powerbook (1.5 gb ram) External HD. What i like about the mbox is that it's portable, i've heard some really good thing about it and it comes with Pro Tools LE for free. Now, i've read around here that it's got some latency issues, and i really don't want that. I'll be recording a lot of Vocals (with a Shure SM 57 Mic) and some Guitar, bass, etc. (same Mic) so now i don't know what to get......do you recommend the mbox 2 of maybe an M-Audio Firewire 410? it's only 399,

What do i need? a few channels to record vocals and and extra instrument at the same time (the more the better, but that's the main thing) i need good value for my money......i don't want to spend more tan $550 total.....what should i get?!?!?

any ideas? please i'd appreciate any comments, since i'm a total newbie with this Audio Production thing
Joeytpg is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2005, 05:28 AM   #2
WinterMute
Moderator emeritus

Send a message via AIM to WinterMute Send a message via MSN to WinterMute
See my comments here http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=165318.

The options are many, I like the M-audio offerings but mainly because I use Protools LE, if I was Logic based I'd go with the Focusrite Saffire.

Can't recommend the M-box because of the constant whine.
WinterMute is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2005, 08:12 AM   #3
Joeytpg
macrumors 6502

Thanks again WinterMute, i guess the 410 it is.

I'll be using Logic because i've heard it's better for Midi stuff, but i want/need to learn Pro Tools like i know Mac OS X, because it's the industry standard, and i've heard good things about it. I'll be learning some other softwares too of course.
Joeytpg is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Digital Audio