Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Zellio

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 7, 2012
I am ordering a 5.5 off of ebay for around $123 (New battery and new 80 gig hdd). How hard is it to open the 'enhanced ipod video'?

weckart

macrumors 603
Nov 7, 2004
I am ordering a 5.5 off of ebay for around $123 (New battery and new 80 gig hdd). How hard is it to open the 'enhanced ipod video'?

I upgraded the hard drive and battery in my iPod 5.0 Video a few months back. Structurally, I believe it is identical with yours with only minor differences in electronics or firmware. I found it surprisingly easy to crack open following the iFixit guide. Nothing broke en route and everything worked first time I powered it up afterwards and reliably since.

I only needed a spudger to prise a gap between the facia and the metal back after which a couple of guitar picks strategically placed gently separated the two.

Only bum note is that the battery I sourced, whilst nominally of a larger capacity than the one it replaced, does not seem to be giving anything like the battery life I expected and noticeably less than the one my iPod Classic can muster. It might pay to not skimp on that and check reviews before buying.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.