Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

psblake

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 31, 2010
Washington
Was at the Apple store here in town looking at the Gold 5S, played with it for a bit, messed with the fingerprint technology, and compared it side by side with my Black Iphone 5.

I liked the color and the home button looks good but I really had ZERO desire to upgrade my phone. Now I gotta tell ya this is the first time I have not upgraded ASAP since the 3g.

My 5 works great and I love the IOS7 release which makes me feel like I have a new phone anyway. The 5s was a bit faster and I am sure there will be a lot of apps hitting the store that will use the speed and the 64 bit. But for now I am just fine waiting for something with a bigger screen and a new look.

BTW not bashing the iphone 5s at all, it is a great phone, just did not give me the desire to upgrade, which is a new feeling for me! :)
Anyone else?

bunnicula

macrumors 68040
Jul 23, 2008
There are dozens of threads about people who chose to upgrade, so apparently there are people who like the 5s.

There are also threads about people who were fine waiting.

Employing logic, I will deduce that some people were not wowed enough by the 5s to upgrade.

So, to answer your question? Yes. Some people found the 5s less than inspiring.

Not me. I like upgrading. I find each new phone model to be interesting, in its own way.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I yawned at the 5c. iPhone 5, plastic case, remarketed as a 'new' iPhone.

I didn't really consider the 5s at all. Not really an upgrade over the 5 and the clincher for me - no black.

As has been said here a few times, the 5s is more of an upgrade for the 4/4s owners. I'm on the full version upgrade path so my next upgrade will be the iPhone 6.

From what I am starting to hear there's probably going to be more than a few 5s and 5c owners wanting to break their contracts. It will be interesting to hear just how great the 5c and 5s are then when the 6 comes out.

davidg4781

macrumors 68030
Oct 28, 2006
Alice, TX
I'm in the same boat, and I have a 4S.

I'm really very satisfied with it. And I've never felt that way about a phone. I have an itch to upgrade though, and I think it's mostly fueled because I'm planning to switch to AT&T from Sprint. If I wasn't, I think I would get the back/front glasses replaced (minor scratches, but it's inexpensive) and wait until the 6 comes out.

DcoalStrat

macrumors member
Aug 2, 2012
I wonder how is your battery life on your iPhone 5? Coz mine is horrible I did everything clean instal turn off notification, etc. Just to last me, the whole day without finding the nearest outlet. But now my Iphone 5s battery, last me the whole day without charging. With heavy use like watching video and slingbox in-between.

Silverbird0000

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2006
Fort Myers, FL
Like you, I have had every single iPhone model since the original in 2007. This is the first time I have not jumped on the new model the first day for pre-orders or in store. I feel the itch to upgrade, like I always do since it's the new model, but this is the first time I did not get it the first day. I'm still rocking my 64gb iPhone 5 in Slate and i'm seriously debating not upgrading. I don't feel the 5S is any faster, maybe it will be when 64bit apps hit the store. I do like the slo-mo camera feature, and the Touch ID, but its not compelling me like past updates. I wish it was.

davidg4781

macrumors 68030
Oct 28, 2006
Alice, TX
Like you, I have had every single iPhone model since the original in 2007. This is the first time I have not jumped on the new model the first day for pre-orders or in store. I feel the itch to upgrade, like I always do since it's the new model, but this is the first time I did not get it the first day. I'm still rocking my 64gb iPhone 5 in Slate and i'm seriously debating not upgrading. I don't feel the 5S is any faster, maybe it will be when 64bit apps hit the store. I do like the slo-mo camera feature, and the Touch ID, but its not compelling me like past updates. I wish it was.

I think the 4S actually got the iPhone to a usable speed. It was my first but I had friends with older ones. Yeah, they were fluid and plenty quick, especially with their original OSs, but they still felt like they could be faster.

Maybe this is why so many are reluctant to get the 5S. I've even toyed with the idea of getting a 5C to save $100 or more, depending on the discounts at that time. Even the 5 with its 4" screen wasn't that exciting to me as the 4S was to the 4.

vomhorizon

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2013
I did not get many things with the IP5s that i would have liked. A bigger screen would have been awesome, widgets would have been nice ;)...However I still feel that the 5S adds value and given that I have ordered it (not yet received)..I'll look to keep the 5S for 8-10 months and then sell it off and upgrade to the 6 when it comes out (Or some other phone, if the 6 does not meet my expectations)...From most reports a 300 odd dollar Early fees combined with a 300 dollar cost of the phone (32gb) really means around 200-300$ cost on me to upgrade provided I sell the 32GB 5S for around 400$ In July-August...Seems pretty reasonable :)

*~Kim~*

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2013
UK
I'm yawning because there is no stock of the 5s, and because my 4 is getting so slow now.

ToroidalZeus

macrumors 68020
Dec 8, 2009
I think the 4S actually got the iPhone to a usable speed. It was my first but I had friends with older ones. Yeah, they were fluid and plenty quick, especially with their original OSs, but they still felt like they could be faster.

Maybe this is why so many are reluctant to get the 5S. I've even toyed with the idea of getting a 5C to save $100 or more, depending on the discounts at that time. Even the 5 with its 4" screen wasn't that exciting to me as the 4S was to the 4.

Buy a used 5 and sell the 4s to recoup half the cost.

No offense but the 4s sucks compared to the 5. I've said it before and I'll say it again. LTE. SERIOUSLY THAT ALONE is reason to upgrade. 4s is also heavy like a brick and the small screen is dated.

5s for a 5 user is meh but 5s for a 4s user is a worthwhile upgrade imo. 1 more year without LTE is just too much.

davidg4781

macrumors 68030
Oct 28, 2006
Alice, TX

No offense but the 4s sucks compared to the 5. I've said it before and I'll say it again. LTE. SERIOUSLY THAT ALONE is reason to upgrade. 4s is also heavy like a brick and the small screen is dated.

5s for a 5 user is meh but 5s for a 4s user is a worthwhile upgrade imo. 1 more year without LTE is just too much.

If I'm paying full price for AT&T I'd rather use the upgrade than have it sit there for a year.

And I'm with Sprint. Data's terrible wherever I go, as is they're coverage. This is the main reason I'm switching to AT&T. I guess I don't understand the need for LTE. I'd love to at least get 1.5MBps download.

psblake

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 31, 2010
Washington
If I'm paying full price for AT&T I'd rather use the upgrade than have it sit there for a year.

And I'm with Sprint. Data's terrible wherever I go, as is they're coverage. This is the main reason I'm switching to AT&T. I guess I don't understand the need for LTE. I'd love to at least get 1.5MBps download.

LTE is the Bomb! You will get it once you upgrade to ATT and see the speeds. The 4s is a slow brick compared to the 5. The 5 feels right and is a huge upgrade over the 4s.

----------

I wonder how is your battery life on your iPhone 5? Coz mine is horrible I did everything clean instal turn off notification, etc. Just to last me, the whole day without finding the nearest outlet. But now my Iphone 5s battery, last me the whole day without charging. With heavy use like watching video and slingbox in-between.

My 5 battery life is really good after I did a cleanup on it. Had an APP that was on all the time was running GPS constantly.

----------

Totally agree!

----------

BTW guys I get the desire to upgrade and have had that itch every time no matter the phone. My issue is more with my feelings about it. Frankly I thought once I got my hands on one I would have to have it! Just didn't happen that way this time.

Bako-MacAddict

macrumors 68000
Jun 7, 2012
California
I did ... But as soon as I got my hands on a iphone 5s on launch day , it was like drinking a red bull . Love this thing ! So fast !

Last edited:

D35P3R4T0

macrumors member
Jul 17, 2008
Do I yawn? No. I just believe that we as consumers are becoming desencetized. The smart phone market has finally matured and Andriod is starting to make a descent operating system to give Apple a run for its money.

With that said, you need to look back and see what has been accomplished in the last few years since the first iPhone in 2007 to really appreciate where the industry is today. Macrumors linked to a very interesting article regarding the keynote for the first iPhone and the hurtles the Apple engineers had to overcome to present us with the first look at iPhone back in 2007.

I just recieved my iPhone 5s (after owning the iPhone 5) and I have continued to be blown away by the amount of power and technology that has been stuffed into such a tiny amount of space.

ToroidalZeus

macrumors 68020
Dec 8, 2009
Do I yawn? No. I just believe that we as consumers are becoming desencetized. The smart phone market has finally matured and Andriod is starting to make a descent operating system to give Apple a run for its money.

With that said, you need to look back and see what has been accomplished in the last few years since the first iPhone in 2007 to really appreciate where the industry is today. Macrumors linked to a very interesting article regarding the keynote for the first iPhone and the hurtles the Apple engineers had to overcome to present us with the first look at iPhone back in 2007.

I just recieved my iPhone 5s (after owning the iPhone 5) and I have continued to be blown away by the amount of power and technology that has been stuffed into such a tiny amount of space.

Apple's game plan is pretty obvious. Milk out upgrades for as long as you can. If Apple wanted to I am sure they could have put in a 4.2 or 4.5 or 4.7 in display in the 5s but it's clear they are saving that upgrade for next year. It has nothing to do with being desensitized, this upgrade is just meh.

KhunJay

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2013
Im pretty sure apple recommended ios7 for IP4 knowing fully well that it would slow down the phone noticeably and make it a drag to operate. Pushing people to upgrade. Evil...but smart...but evil.

D35P3R4T0

macrumors member
Jul 17, 2008
Apple's game plan is pretty obvious. Milk out upgrades for as long as you can. If Apple wanted to I am sure they could have put in a 4.2 or 4.5 or 4.7 in display in the 5s but it's clear they are saving that upgrade for next year. It has nothing to do with being desensitized, this upgrade is just meh.

They release their phone in a "tick tock" cycle. Major chance one year, minor upgrade the next, major chance the next year, minor upgrade the next. The 5s is a "tock".

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
Felt the same way as you did.

I put it down to ios7 making my 5 feel like a new phone.

Though I ended up getting the 5S, I have to admit that while the finger scanner might be gimicky, I am loving it, its the only thing in the upgrade that I am taking advantage of, the speed diff is small, I dont use phone camera's . 64bit.... meh, maybe when the iphone 6 is out , it will be taking off.

PaulOBrain

macrumors regular
Aug 23, 2013
UK
The 5s is a great phone but happy to keep my 5 for another year. My attention is going towards a new iPad :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.