Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jonpeter

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 19, 2013
MI
So i'm a new investor and i just started with scottrade, opening up a general stock and roth IRA account.

I've bought some apple, tesla, amd, and unfortunately blackberry stock (lets see how the sale goes...) for my general stock.

Anyways, I came here to ask about mutual funds. I have the maximum amount I can invest in for the 2013-2014 year, $5500. But I am wondering which fund to start with?

I was personally thinking vanguards HealthCare fund. However, if any of you can suggest some other funds i should look into, I will!

Question: what (mutual) funds/stocks are you guys investing in?

ejb190

macrumors 65816
First off, most day-traders end up losing money."For the typical retail investor, day trading isn't investing, it's gambling. If you want to gamble, go to Las Vegas; the food is better."

Now for mutual funds, look for funds with long track records and steady investments. I would suggest finding an independent investment broker to help guide you through the choices. If you don't understand something, don't invest in it!!! You are looking for long term investments - a place to park your money and leave it for the long term, through ups and downs. Highly advertised or new funds - I'd stay away from. They probably have high fee rates.

I don't have time to become an expert on mutual funds. So I have a broker that helped me pick out the funds. Frankly, it was so long ago since I swapped any funds around that I don't remember the names! I found my broker through Dave Ramsey's ELP program. Your mileage may vary...

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
It's best if you diversify and get multiple mutual funds. I use Vanguard since their fees are low and they have plenty to chose from. When you buy a fund, it will give you the risk level of the fund (very aggressive -> very conservative). Pick your fund based on the risk, return, and dividends. I like to diversify the risk and pick funds with good dividend returns (I invest long).

I recommend having emergency money in your bank account to fall back on before investing.

Gandalf theGrey

macrumors newbie
Oct 4, 2013
If you are in for your personal gains, I suggest you getting loads of insiders information/acquaintances before you even start letting your hard-earn cash or daddy's-money-growing-trees flowing in the stocks market.

If you are in for a better economic outlook/futures for all of us, all hail to you as we are in desperate need of investors like you, you are our last hope. ┼

r i c h

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2008
California
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.