Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sam Spade

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 30, 2007
I purchased 2 8GB sticks of Crucial RAM to upgrade my new late-2013 iMac. However, both sticks appear to have flattened the soft plastic tab in the RAM slots and (obviously) won't seat properly. The notch in the Crucial RAM appears to have been slightly smaller than was needed to clear the tab and instead of sliding over the tab, the RAM module literally just flattened the tabs. I am absolutely shocked at how soft the plastic is on the tabs.

So, I've got a brand new iMac just a few days old and two damaged RAM slots. What should my course of action be?

Djay

macrumors member
Nov 21, 2009
Have you attempted to replace the original memory sticks? Will they fit and function?

I just added 4x4 Gb sticks of Crucial with no fitment or function issues but it was for a late 2009 iMac i5.

I have heard other reports that OWC sticks have fit the slots better in some isolated reports.

Best of luck getting this issue fixed. :(

Sam Spade

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 30, 2007
Sure you didn't try to insert them flipped the wrong way?
No, I inserted them the correct way.

Not sure if Apple or Crucial is to blame here. I know for certain that the plastic tab in the RAM slot is way too soft and flattened out with much too little pressure.

Should I just return the machine? Pursue Crucial? Apple?

old-wiz

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2008
West Suburban Boston Ma

Not sure if Apple or Crucial is to blame here. I know for certain that the plastic tab in the RAM slot is way too soft and flattened out with much too little pressure.

if you damaged the slots replacing ram Apple won't accept a return.

Sam Spade

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 30, 2007
Ok, I went to my office this morning and took some OWC sticks out of our late 2012 iMac. These sticks fit fine in the 2 remaining undamaged slots in the 2013 machine.

There are 2 problems here:
1. The Crucial memory is off a little bit in terms of physcial specs.
2. The plastic tabs in the RAM slots of the 2013 machines are much too soft.

Be careful replacing memory in these machines.

omeletpants

macrumors 6502
Oct 21, 2005

Why should Apple fix your mistake? You gambled and lost. Own up to it

Erphern

macrumors 6502
Mar 6, 2013
UK
Still waiting to see a picture of the damage. Would you please post something so we can see exactly what you're talking about? Thanks.

Sam2lucky13

macrumors 6502
May 26, 2011
Ok, I went to my office this morning and took some OWC sticks out of our late 2012 iMac. These sticks fit fine in the 2 remaining undamaged slots in the 2013 machine.

There are 2 problems here:
1. The Crucial memory is off a little bit in terms of physcial specs.
2. The plastic tabs in the RAM slots of the 2013 machines are much too soft.

Be careful replacing memory in these machines.

there are others on amazon complaining about crucial ram being "too thick" and not fitting properly in the new iMacs. You know getting any help from crucial on your new machine wont happen though. Sorry to hear.

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
It sounds like you bought the wrong RAM and then tried to force it in. Your solution is to pay for a logic board replacement.

Sam Spade

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 30, 2007
there are others on amazon complaining about crucial ram being "too thick" and not fitting properly in the new iMacs. You know getting any help from crucial on your new machine wont happen though. Sorry to hear.
Unfortunately, I was unaware of this issue. I've used Crucial RAM in the past with no problems. But, I can confirm that the two Crucial sticks that I have are indeed too thick for the current machine. The previous RAM I purchased was OWC and in hindsight should have went with it again, but I ended up buying Crucial because it was less expensive.

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
RAM specifications are highly standardized. I really doubt Crucial is noncompliant. Also, thickness would not cause the DIMM to flatten the plastic tab. Where are the pics we've been asking for?

OllyW

Staff member
Oct 11, 2005
The Black Country, England
Unfortunately, I was unaware of this issue. I've used Crucial RAM in the past with no problems. But, I can confirm that the two Crucial sticks that I have are indeed too thick for the current machine. The previous RAM I purchased was OWC and in hindsight should have went with it again, but I ended up buying Crucial because it was less expensive.

Crucial guarrantee their memory is Apple compatible.

Mac systems can run even better with a memory upgrade from Crucial. Our Apple memory is certified, OEM-quality, and guaranteed compatible. It's also surprisingly affordable.

Get in touch with them and ask them to fix it if it is their memory at fault.

Sam2lucky13

macrumors 6502
May 26, 2011

I actually had to refuse delivery myself on the crucial ram..some people had no problems other complained it was too thick... they were lucky to get it in and it was a serious pain.

I went ahead and ordered owc ram yesterday to play it safe but yeah more expensive....feel for you man especially on a brand new computer.

Sam Spade

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 30, 2007
RAM specifications are highly standardized. I really doubt Crucial is noncompliant. Also, thickness would not cause the DIMM to flatten the plastic tab. Where are the pics we've been asking for?
I'm not sure if "too thick" is the correct description or not, but there is definitely a problem with the fitment. The modules that came in the machine from Apple fit perfectly, as does the OWC, but the Crucial does not.

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
I assume you are talking about the thin piece of plastic running through the middle not the little flexible plastic ribbon used to pop the RAM out. If that is the case you can position the iMac so you have the best possible visibility of the RAM slot. Then use a small precision screwdriver (like those for glasses) and bend the slot back into shape.

Sam Spade

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 30, 2007
according to this review http://www.macworld.co.uk/mac/masterclass/?articleid=3418897 Crucial Memory are fine with the new iMac, and I've got similiar kit from Crucial 2x4GB (CT2C4G3S160BMCEU). My iMac will be delivered Tomorrow, so what's your advise, should I try to insert this modules or not.

Thanks
No. Too many people here in this forum in recent days reporting similar problems with Crucial RAM (search this iMac forum). I wouldn't attempt to install Crucial modules again in the iMac as the plastic tabs in the RAM slots are so soft they will easily damage before you know it.

My suggestion, based on my own experience and other reports from forum members, is to purchase the OWC memory. There appears to be little or no problems with it fitting properly in the iMac.

Stageshoot

macrumors regular
Oct 2, 2013
Central UK
Have to stand up for Crucial

Its always been spot on in every machine I have used it in,

Fitted 2x 8Gb sticks in my 2013 iMac a couple of days ago, went straight in no problem as always work 100% as always.

I feel for those having a problem, with all products there is always a bad apple somwhere, but I dont see the point in dissing the entire range and saying no one should use it, thats just crazy.

Its a very good product at a reasonable price, and it sounds like there have been a couple of bad ones recently, which you get with anything!

comatory

macrumors 6502a
Apr 10, 2012
If Crucial states that RAM is Apple compatible then its their fault honestly. RAM is user replacable on 27" iMacs so you didnt void any warranty. This almost sounds as a reason to sue them id theyre not willing to acknowledge manufacturing or design fault.

I would try to carefully bend the tab back. If its still squashed then maybe try putting a little bit of scotch tape or sth so it leans nicely.

Feel sorry for you I hope you will sort it out. Try to find other people who have same troubles and send a collective complaint to Crucial,demand damages.

buster84

macrumors 6502
Oct 7, 2013
No. Too many people here in this forum in recent days reporting similar problems with Crucial RAM (search this iMac forum). I wouldn't attempt to install Crucial modules again in the iMac as the plastic tabs in the RAM slots are so soft they will easily damage before you know it.

My suggestion, based on my own experience and other reports from forum members, is to purchase the OWC memory. There appears to be little or no problems with it fitting properly in the iMac.

I see the issue, but as for the ram slots being soft. I cant say from personal experience but when i slipped my cruscial ram in it slipped right in without any hickups. You have to make sure you lift tab all the way up, then slide the ram in place then push down on it till its seated in the slot then, repeat for the rest of the ram and close it back up.

If you just slid the ram inside the slot without pushing down to make sure its 100% seated in the slot and you then you try and shut the ram slow you would break the ram slots since the ram wasn't actually seated.

My guess is that its not Crucial's ram issue, but a user issue. Most people are used to the standard slots, this one pulls out and pushing back in. It's also possible that the ram is a little big, but without being their its hard to say what really happened to the thread starters computer.

Have to stand up for Crucial

Its always been spot on in every machine I have used it in,

Fitted 2x 8Gb sticks in my 2013 iMac a couple of days ago, went straight in no problem as always work 100% as always.

I feel for those having a problem, with all products there is always a bad apple somwhere, but I dont see the point in dissing the entire range and saying no one should use it, thats just crazy.

Its a very good product at a reasonable price, and it sounds like there have been a couple of bad ones recently, which you get with anything!

I bought mine directly from the crucial site and it was made in china. It's been running great, no high temps or anything. The ram slipped right in and fit like a glove.

Sam Spade

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 30, 2007
There are enough problems with Crucial being discussed in this forum, including my own experience, that is seems "crazy" to me to take the chance with Crucial, especially when there are other brands out there, namely OWC, that are presenting NO fitment problems.

----------

I bought mine directly from the crucial site and it was made in china. It's been running great, no high temps or anything. The ram slipped right in and fit like a glove.
I have no doubt that some are not having any issues with the Crucial product, but others are. In my case, I can say with certainty that my problem had nothing to do with not knowing how to use the folding RAM slots correctly. The DIMM's just simply do not fit properly. I can compare, side by side, the fitment of the Crucial RAM to the factory Apple RAM and the OWC. Both the Apple and OWC fit perfectly with no issues.

Chipster21

macrumors newbie
Oct 3, 2013

Could you please tell me if your Crucial ram is made in China or USA, as of this thread https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1650257/, it's seems to be a problem with those modules made in USA.

Thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.