Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DisplacedMic

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 1, 2009
So today I remembered that I had bought SC 2 a few years ago when it came out. I thought hey - i should try it out on my Air. Downloaded the game, fired it up and was playing. Then I heard a weird noise during one of the cutscenes...i muted it. couldn't figure out what it was - went to see if i had a youtube video or something running. but then i realized it was the fans. This was literally the first time i'd noticed them running.

Ha, just thought i'd share:D

Numberless

macrumors newbie
Jul 28, 2012
The MBA has come a long way since the original revisions. The fans on the 2009 model I had would turn up and spin at 6000rpm just using Safari for a few minutes. To make matters worse, there are times that it got so hot that the kernel had to throttle the CPU to the point where you'd barely be able to scroll around or move the cursor.

The current generation one, when using desktop apps or watching videos, is silent by comparison and is hardly warm to the touch. Most of the time the CPU is barely using more than 2 watts of power!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.