Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues

Old Oct 12, 2013, 07:40 PM   #1
63dot
macrumors 601

Do you live in a town that doesn't card for alcohol?

I live in a small resort town of 1,600 people and even in good times the town is not happening, but it's really dead from September to May. It's hard to make it in those slow months so establishments that serve alcohol don't card. Alcoholic drinks are a good money maker and for such a small town nobody seems to cause too much trouble.

One part of me doesn't like this practice (though we thought it was too cool in high school) but the pragmatic side of me realizes that a town that has only three good months of profits has to survive. Even then a lot of eating and drinking establishments can't even make it in the summer. They don't just sell you a 12 pack at a national chain like 7-11 to just any random kid, but in any restaurant if you look old enough to have pubic hair, you get drinks with your meal if you order it, no questions asked...ever!

Markets and convenience stores pretty much don't let you drink it in the open but say nothing if a customer who paid for his/her drink downs it in the bathroom. Also whatever a person does in their car in the parking lot is perceived as not the business of the store. I have seen cops come by to go shopping or do their rounds and they totally ignore this. If somebody is weaving then they pursue but in this country town if a few good ol boys are drinking a few Buds after a high school game, it's ignored. If a joint is passed around, maybe the cop tells them to simply put it out.

We have a lot of issues, like any town, with drinking/drugs and driving. I don't get the feeling that a big city, like nearby San Jose or San Francisco lets this type of underage sell of alcohol happen as easily. Well into my 20s I was carded in the big cities in norcal but never in the small, usually slow business towns.

Thoughts? And is it like that in any small town under 50,000 people where you live?

Last edited by 63dot; Oct 12, 2013 at 08:06 PM.
63dot is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2013, 04:20 AM   #2
Eraserhead
macrumors G4

Condoning drink driving is pretty bad.
Eraserhead is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2013, 05:35 AM   #3
lostngone
macrumors 6502a

Here in Alaska...
In the largest city, Anchorage ~300k ID is mandatory at bars and liquor stores for all ages and smoking is almost completely banned(outside only).
In Fairbanks the second largest city ~33k carding is at the discretion of the server, anyone that looks under X age type law. But being a college town not to hard to find it if you are underage.

With that said let me climb up on my high horse...

People are going to find a way to drink carding or not. I have lived in dry(zero alcohol allowed) communities. No roads in or out for hundreds of miles and people still find ways to get boozes. We are talking $50 for a 12 pack of beer and as far as hard liquor(R&R, Smirnoff) a fifth can go anywhere from $100 to $300 depending on the time of year and the VPSO. Also fines and jail time for anyone caught transporting.

Last edited by lostngone; Oct 13, 2013 at 05:41 AM.
lostngone is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2013, 07:43 AM   #4
Gutwrench
macrumors 6502a

Here in Minnesota I can't buy a car from a dealership on Sunday because they're closed, can't buy a bottle of Jameson on Sunday either, but thank goodness I can walk out of a Gander Mountain or Cabela's with a firearm.
Gutwrench is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2013, 10:50 AM   #5
likemyorbs
Banned

Send a message via AIM to likemyorbs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gutwrench View Post
Here in Minnesota I can't buy a car from a dealership on Sunday because they're closed, can't buy a bottle of Jameson on Sunday either, but thank goodness I can walk out of a Gander Mountain or Cabela's with a firearm.
Here in NJ I can't buy a car from a dealership on Sunday, but it's perfectly legal to buy any type of alcohol on a Sunday. This is ridiculous because I think Sunday is a great day for car shopping.
likemyorbs is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2013, 10:53 AM   #6
MacNut
macrumors P6

Quote:
Originally Posted by likemyorbs View Post
Here in NJ I can't buy a car from a dealership on Sunday, but it's perfectly legal to buy any type of alcohol on a Sunday. This is ridiculous because I think Sunday is a great day for car shopping.
But the first thing you would do is go the the liquor store to celebrate a new car, hence the law.
Old Oct 13, 2013, 10:59 AM   #7
likemyorbs
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacNut View Post
But the first thing you would do is go the the liquor store to celebrate a new car, hence the law.
I don't think that's the reason behind the law, as I can buy a car and then go buy alcohol to celebrate on any other day of the week. Could have done it yesterday. What makes Sunday different?
likemyorbs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2013, 11:01 AM   #8
MacNut
macrumors P6

Quote:
I don't think that's the reason behind the law, as I can buy a car and then go buy alcohol to celebrate on any other day of the week. Could have done it yesterday. What makes Sunday different?
Is the sarcasm detector really not working around here anymore. Takes all the fun out of it when you have to explain the joke.
Old Oct 13, 2013, 11:03 AM   #9
likemyorbs
Banned

Quote:
Is the sarcasm detector really not working around here anymore. Takes all the fun out of it when you have to explain the joke.
My apologies. I'm a little baked.
likemyorbs is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2013, 11:42 AM   #10
Andeavor
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Sunday is supposed to be a day of rest.

In biblical terms you'd be stoned.
Andeavor is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2013, 11:52 AM   #11
MacNut
macrumors P6

Quote:
So that joke should have been hilarious to you.
Old Oct 13, 2013, 01:34 PM   #12
Gutwrench
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
But alcohol and cars are like apple pie. What mixes better with alcohol than automobiles, power tools, firearms and maybe electricity.
Gutwrench is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2013, 01:50 PM   #13
afireintonto
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to afireintonto
The only time i haven't been carded was on my 21st bday.
I was slightly sad about it.
Old Oct 13, 2013, 01:53 PM   #14
63dot
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eraserhead View Post
Drinking and driving is terrible.

I still don't know if a drinking age is a good thing or not. I have met plenty of Europeans who didn't have to deal with a 21 year old drinking age and it wasn't any worse with drinking and driving. To me it's common sense. Just like one doesn't operate electrical tools while in the pool, people shouldn't drink and drive. I am playing devil's advocate, but does there have to be a law?

If somebody, anybody at any age, lives in a society with no drinking age, and they drink and drive, then just penalize or incarcerate them. What is the harm if you are in a college town and a few 17 year old freshmen have a beer on a night out (as long as there is a designated driver)? This underage drinking happens all the time in America but its illegality hardly stops establishments from asking for ID. Of the tens of thousands of orders a small joint gets for alcohol, what are the odds that they get fined for underage sales? Does anybody think that a small target like a small restaurant in a small town think that it's worth it to lose sales in order to worry about the remote chance of getting fined?

In the neighboring town of 29,000 the ABC came to town and did a sting. They went to a few dozen places and clubs and oddly enough, they only fined the gay and lesbian club. The local paper was outraged and said the ABC purposely targeted the club. Of all the other clubs in this college and military town it was very suspect that the lone gay club was fined (what was back then hundreds of dollars which was a stiff fine). Nobody in town thought that they alone served alcohol to some teenager of all the clubs.

Last edited by 63dot; Oct 13, 2013 at 02:03 PM.
63dot is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2013, 01:55 PM   #15
octatonic
macrumors regular

I live in a nation that doesn't regularly card for alcohol.
Old Oct 13, 2013, 03:02 PM   #16
Eraserhead
macrumors G4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 63dot View Post
Drinking and driving is terrible.

I still don't know if a drinking age is a good thing or not. I have met plenty of Europeans who didn't have to deal with a 21 year old drinking age and it wasn't any worse with drinking and driving.
To be fair certainly in the UK there aren't really any places you can't get a taxi (if not public transport) home after going out drinking on a Friday or Saturday night. And in many cases people will be able to walk home fairly easily. Whereas I've heard that there are places in the US where that is a much bigger problem.
Old Oct 13, 2013, 05:51 PM   #17
colourfastt
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by octatonic View Post
I live in a nation that doesn't regularly card for alcohol.
I live in a state that doesn't regularly card for alcohol. Then again I can remember going to Mardi Gras and seeing the 14/15 year old younger brothers of some of my friends in the bars.
Old Oct 13, 2013, 06:27 PM   #18
63dot
macrumors 601

Quote:
To be fair certainly in the UK there aren't really any places you can't get a taxi (if not public transport) home after going out drinking on a Friday or Saturday night. And in many cases people will be able to walk home fairly easily. Whereas I've heard that there are places in the US where that is a much bigger problem.
Having lived in small town, medium sized town, and major city, there are always taxis. If you can't see one, there are always too many choices to get one to call.

It may not have been customary to call taxi when I was first at the drinking age and people would just drive home slowly, drunk! Amazingly, unless you were really trashed, you didn't spend the night in jail. In driver's ed class, 1970s, the teacher said in the old days (1950s?), the cop would drive you home in his cruiser and say something like, "be safe".

I do like that they throw the book at drunk drivers now. It's a deterrent.
63dot is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2013, 09:07 PM   #19
satcomer
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Please don't drink & drive!
satcomer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2013, 09:10 PM   #20
bradl
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by satcomer View Post
Please don't drink & drive!
Aussie PSA says it all:

Drink, drive... Bloody idiot.

BL.
bradl is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2013, 06:25 AM   #21
Happybunny
macrumors 65816

Since January 2013 it is illegal to serve persons under the age of 16 alcohol in the Netherlands.

http://www.uwkindenalcohol.nl/nieuwe...-voor-jongeren
Old Oct 14, 2013, 08:29 AM   #22
ucfgrad93
macrumors G5

Since I'm 47, it has been a long time since I was carded. However, my 22 year old daughter has gotten carded several times when we have been out to dinner and she wants a drink.
Old Oct 14, 2013, 08:59 AM   #23
likemyorbs
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happybunny View Post
Since January 2013 it is illegal to serve persons under the age of 16 alcohol in the Netherlands.

http://www.uwkindenalcohol.nl/nieuwe...-voor-jongeren
Wow, you guys are sooooooo uptight.
likemyorbs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2013, 09:15 AM   #24
rdowns
macrumors Penryn

I was out last night with 2 younger friends and they were carded. Asked the waitress is she wanted my ID also? (I'm 51) She said no, I called her a bitch.
Old Oct 14, 2013, 09:29 AM   #25
Happybunny
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Wow, you guys are sooooooo uptight.
I know, we are so ashamed.

My third wife once got carded in NYC back in 2003.

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues