Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mixart

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 2, 2012
Hi,

I cant really decide between the iMac and Mac Mini. It will be my first Mac and I will only use it for content creation like Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, Muse and Edge Animate. No video rendering!

I am waiting for the October 22 and hope the Mac Mini will get a refresh there, then I will order either the iMac or Mac mini. Let's say it will be like this:

Mac Mini:
- Intel 2.3 GHz Iris Pro 5200 (GT3e)
-16GB, memory
- 256GB Flash Storage
- Apple 27" thunderbolt Display (hopefully a new one like the new iMac screen)

iMac:
- 3.5GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7
- 8GB memory (will upgrade the ram by myself)
- 256GB Flash Storage
- NVIDIA GeForce GTX 775M

Which one will you choose? I really love the iMac design, but also the Mac Mini + external monitor, so I can switch the screen whenever I want. The iMac is faster and it will cost the same.

joeynym

macrumors member
Dec 22, 2012
would you consider Mac mini route with a 27" ips led hd screen by samsung, lg, acer, etc. for under $350.00 easy.

tann

macrumors 68000
Apr 15, 2010
UK
If they do cost the same, iMac for sure. It's just a lot better in every way!

sonicrobby

macrumors 68020
Apr 24, 2013
New Orleans
Because of the prices being equal, I would look at internals, and to me the iMac internals are much better than the mini can provide (even the pressumed specs of the new mac mini). So I would say the iMac. The elegant design and powerful internals always will win me over.

Curious though, you say you like the mac mini to because you can switch the screen whenever you want? what do you mean by this? How many screens are you going to switch it between and why? I personally prefer the route with fewer external components and cables, but thats just me.

AaronM5670

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2012
Norwich, UK
An external display will most likely have some sort of latency/delay when compared to the iMac's inbuilt display.

The iMac has a great display - that's why you pay so much money.

grandM

macrumors 68000
Oct 14, 2013
Same question but...

An external display will most likely have some sort of latency/delay when compared to the iMac's inbuilt display.

The iMac has a great display - that's why you pay so much money.

I've got myself a great pc i7 3.4, 16 GB ram, 3TB hard disk, win7, logitech webcam 1080p, logitech touch mouse, dell u2711. I decided however to program for ipad. As virtualbox with macos is illegal, I'm buying a mac. But which?

Hoocking up a mac mini seemed appropriate but my 27'' has a stain. Plus all those wires again. Not sure dell will replace so I'm in doubt. I considered an imac but the screen seems wearing to the eyes. I also watch movies on my computer so 12hrs a day at it. Plus buying imac supposes replacing screen each time I replace computer (once every 2 or 3 year).

Using twoo computers I probably won't do (too lazy) and I don't really believe in getting decent money for my "old" pc. Suggestions PLEASE !!!

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.