Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chuck-Norris

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 17, 2012
my macbook is only a couple months old and takes half a minute to go to sleep.

i noticed this last week.

when you close the lid you can hear the fans still going for half a minute

when you have it open and click sleep on the top corner the screen goes black but is still on with the mouse cursor and takes half a minute to sleep

any suggestions or solutions?

i did a diagnotic test thing ststartup but shows no problems

LostSoul80

macrumors 68020
Jan 25, 2009
Lucky you, mine is so lazy it goes to sleep randomly!

Have you checked for background applications that could interfere with sleep mode?

bobr1952

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2008
Melbourne, FL
Use activity monitor, all processes, and sort by %CPU--see if something is using CPU cycles before you close the lid. I run into that problem too and it is always something that is running when you think there is no activity. (note that kernel_task is always doing something so look for something other than that)

3lite

macrumors 6502a
Nov 7, 2011
my macbook is only a couple months old and takes half a minute to go to sleep.

i noticed this last week.

when you close the lid you can hear the fans still going for half a minute

when you have it open and click sleep on the top corner the screen goes black but is still on with the mouse cursor and takes half a minute to sleep

any suggestions or solutions?

i did a diagnotic test thing ststartup but shows no problems

This is normal imo... all Macbooks have this problem.

raptor402

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2011
AFAIK, the MacBook dumps the entire RAM onto the HDD/SSD before going to proper sleep. I'm not sure whether the fans keep spinning during that process, but that might just be the case. The longer sleep time might be a big application hogging up your memory. Or maybe there's just some inactive RAM if you haven't rebooted in a long time. Run purge in your terminal. Check Activity Monitor for memory hogging applications.

Regards
Raptor

UPDATE: I checked; fans keep running while the memory is being dumped during sleep. It's normal.

MeUnix

macrumors 6502
Aug 21, 2013
San Francisco
This is normal behavior for a MacBook.

Both of my Mac's take about the same amount of time to go to sleep. Nothing to worry about.

- Kyle

lcseds

macrumors 65816
Jun 20, 2006
NC, USA
Both my 2012 rMBP and Mid 2011 MBA do this sometimes. Sometimes quick, sometimes slow. Same with wakeup. I think it might cold boot faster than than wake up sometimes. Both have had all sorts of resets, clean OS installs, etc. Not sure why it just started for you though. Mine have been this way OOB. Not overly annoying though. I used to wait 5 minutes for DOS to load from floppy disk. I can handle this.

Chuck-Norris

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 17, 2012
AFAIK, the MacBook dumps the entire RAM onto the HDD/SSD before going to proper sleep. I'm not sure whether the fans keep spinning during that process, but that might just be the case. The longer sleep time might be a big application hogging up your memory. Or maybe there's just some inactive RAM if you haven't rebooted in a long time. Run purge in your terminal. Check Activity Monitor for memory hogging applications.

Regards
Raptor

UPDATE: I checked; fans keep running while the memory is being dumped during sleep. It's normal.

Use activity monitor, all processes, and sort by %CPU--see if something is using CPU cycles before you close the lid. I run into that problem too and it is always something that is running when you think there is no activity. (note that kernel_task is always doing something so look for something other than that)

Both my 2012 rMBP and Mid 2011 MBA do this sometimes. Sometimes quick, sometimes slow. Same with wakeup. I think it might cold boot faster than than wake up sometimes. Both have had all sorts of resets, clean OS installs, etc. Not sure why it just started for you though. Mine have been this way OOB. Not overly annoying though. I used to wait 5 minutes for DOS to load from floppy disk. I can handle this.

ust discovered my mac oes to sleep instantly when google chrome is not running. when it is it takes half a minute

strange though cause ive had chrome running before and it usualy goes to sleep quick?

Benjamin99

macrumors member
Jan 31, 2012
The Woodlands, TX
I notice Chrome to be a huge memory hog and have noticed that it takes longer to shutdown/sleep if i leave Chrome running (and usually have 10 or so tabs open....bad habit).

3lite

macrumors 6502a
Nov 7, 2011
I notice Chrome to be a huge memory hog and have noticed that it takes longer to shutdown/sleep if i leave Chrome running (and usually have 10 or so tabs open....bad habit).

I'm about to hop back on Firefox because of this. But then again going to sleep slow isn't really an issue...

Chuck-Norris

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 17, 2012

You sure? Chrome hogs the most out of any web browser except for maybe Safari.

what confuses me is that the mac would go to sleep pretty quick before even if i had google chrome running...

Count Blah

macrumors 68040
Jan 6, 2004
US of A
This is normal imo... all Macbooks have this problem.

:D

Yes, my cMBP experiences this as well. I thought it was my VMs, but after a recent forced reboot upgrade, I was experiencing this without the VMs even running. Stinks compared to prior versions. I remember my G4 MBP instant sleeping/waking to the point where the G4 was ready for action before I fully swung up the display. NOW I often sit there hitting shift, spacebar, ESC, return, mouse click for upwards of minute, before my machine wakes from sleep.

One step forward, two steps back.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.