Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ToasterBub

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 13, 2013
I think my iPhone 5c may have dropped, because near the top of the screen it slightly popped out of the case. Should I be able to take it apart myself at home or do I need to get it repaired?
Here's a picture: http://postimg.org/image/80wrur0od/

HNI_0053_MPO.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

krspkbl

macrumors 68020
Jul 20, 2012
Best bet is to take it to the Apple Store! If you open it yourself you'll void your warranty.

I could be totally wrong but it might be your battery pushing it out. It could be faulty. I'm not sure what else it could be apart from fall damage/expanding battery.

Reactions: Vermifuge

ToasterBub

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 13, 2013
Everything else works just fine. No damage or scratches even. If it weren't for the angle I could probably just pop the screen back in.

ToasterBub

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 13, 2013
Will I be able to fix it on my own? I saw a video on how to tear down an iPhone 5c, and I may be able to just put the screen back in place. You'd understand if you had my iPhone

Partridge

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2007
Looks like you probably could fix it yourself...

IF you have the pentalobe drivers to do it. Considering you're even asking this question, I'm going to presume that you don't. Just take it in.

GoofyCyborg

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2013
Wales, UK
I would take it in and play dumb, if you try pushing the screen in you risk breaking it. Should you undo the screws and mark them or leave any internal marks or prints then you kiss goodbye to the warranty.

I doubt they would even open it in store and if they do they have to prove that you caused the damage, you could argue that the screen wasn't sited correctly upon manufacture.

g4manimac

macrumors 6502
Jan 22, 2013
Arkansas
What he's trying to say is he dropped it and the screen popped out at the corner (lucky it didn't crack it looks flexed) and wanting to know the best route.

My opinion

If you care about warranty take it back and see what you can't get accomplished worst they can say is no which I'm seeing more and more they rarely do unless under obvious circumstances.

If you don't care about warranty (you should) then it is very easily repaired and ifixit.com can get you on your way to having it fixed in no time but the question is will it happen again

hansonjohn590

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2013
I'd take it to Apple as this may very well be the first of it's occurrence and they send things like these back to the engineering team for feedback.

kelsee

macrumors newbie
Nov 11, 2013
I FIXED MINE THE EXACT SAME THING HAPPENED TO ME!! i was scared to push it back in plus its really hard to push with your fingers so bit down in the corner wear it popped out with my two back teeth and it snapped right in! please tell me if this worked for you!

mikeydeezy

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2010
MN, USA
I FIXED MINE THE EXACT SAME THING HAPPENED TO ME!! i was scared to push it back in plus its really hard to push with your fingers so bit down in the corner wear it popped out with my two back teeth and it snapped right in! please tell me if this worked for you!

Are you telling him to bite down on his phone?!

richlee111

macrumors regular
Feb 27, 2011
Wife dropped her green 5c. The top hand right side of the screen popped out about 1.5mm. So I layed it down on a cutting board at the kitchen counter. Then, with a dish towel put in between the phone, I pushed straight down hard on the corner. Popped right back in. The thing works fine.

Problem solved:)

Serenity03

macrumors newbie
Nov 26, 2013
Same thing happened to me hours after i got the phone i went in to labor, dropped it and notice my screen popped out exactly like yours and i tried pushing it in myself with no luck then sitting here reading the comments i tried what that person said about biting down on it AND IT WORKED lol #GoodAsNew

lauracmeredith

macrumors newbie
Dec 8, 2013
Just did the back teeth bite down....it WORKED! Scared me to do it, but I put light pressure and heard a POP! and it went right back in. I was afraid to look at my screen because I thought I cracked the screen, but nope everything is good as new!!!

Harmonious Zen

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2013
Just did the back teeth bite down....it WORKED! Scared me to do it, but I put light pressure and heard a POP! and it went right back in. I was afraid to look at my screen because I thought I cracked the screen, but nope everything is good as new!!!

Please tell me this is all a joke...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.