Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacDaddy22

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 2, 2010
This may be long so my apologies to those who may lose focus or interest.

I've been an iPhone owner since 2009. First got a 3GS. Then went to a 4, then a 4s. For some reason last year, I just wasn't moved by the 5. So I said the hell with it. I don't actually NEED a new phone. I'll just wait a year. And so I did.

This year they came out with the 5c and the 5s. Now I know the 5s is by far the best, most forward thinking phone on the market and from what I read, this is the best s upgrade ever. Now from a technical perspective, that may be true. But for me, I felt like someone let the air out of my balloon. It was so blah. Same form factor, same screen. Faster internals, which are always good, but really, I never had an issue with my phone being too slow to begin with. Touch ID ill never use because I'm a privacy nut. Don't get me started. So a slightly better camera? That's basically what was useful to me.

Now I realize, for $100 more, financially and in terms of resale, getting the 5s just makes sense. Plus the 5c has no 64gb option. So that's what I did. In Space Gay. (That's what Doug Heffernan would call it). So I got the phone, put a Spigen tough armor on it, and called it a day. Bought it outright too so the bastards can't tie me to a contract. So $922 including tax.

Use it for a few days. Battery BLOWS. Reset it, set up as new, take it to the Genius Bar (which is scary because I remember back in the day when they WERE geniuses. Now, I know more than most of them). They test the battery, tell me it's fine. So I keep it a few more days. MAX I'm getting is 7 hours. Sometimes 5-6. MAX is 7. Calls, texts, wifi. Nothing crazy. Mostly wifi actually. No infinity blade or anything like that. So to me this is unacceptable.

I bring it back for a new one. Keep it for a few days. Same thing. Although to be fair, this one peaked at 7.5 hours. To boot, now I'm hearing about the compass and the level being off. So I check it (never bothered checking the first phone) and sure enough, it's screwed. This is just nuts for over $900. And nuts for Apple.

So I call up my store again and they're more than willing to let me try a 3rd phone but he says to me I'll likely have the same issues. He's blaming apps for the battery drain (even ones that aren't running) and says the compass and level have no known fixes. So now I'm fed up. I realized that I just don't want this piece of crap. No matter how "amazing" it is.

So I returned it and got a 5c. Sure, my storage is in half now. And yes I'll take a big hit on resale. But you know what? I'm HAPPY. I LOVE the color, but most importantly, I LLLLLOOOOOOVVVVEEEEE the way it feels. Omg. It's SO much better than the sharp edges of my 4s and 5s. This truly feels like a new phone. A different phone. Not the same old phone from 2010. (Yes, the 4 felt just like the 5s, albeit heavier).

Does my battery hold up better? I have no idea yet. I just got the phone last night. But I'll tell you what. If it doesn't, at least this phone set me back $200 LESS than the 5s. And I have a working compass and level.

I know most people will totally disagree with me and reprioritize what matters to me. Granted, my likes and needs can be a bit trivial. But the fact is the 5c, since it is "old tech" and not some "revolutionary" 64 bit chip, seems to be tried and true. Granted, in the long run, the 5s may clean up its problems and prove to be the better buy, but for right now, the 5c is the winner and I'm as happy as can be. Feel free to share your thoughts and comments.

Last edited:

3lite

macrumors 6502a
Nov 7, 2011
Add some cliffs or learn to use paragraphs. Nobody is reading that ish.

boobie12

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2012
We'll I actually read it and good for you. The 5c does feel amazing in the hand and I thought the blue phone was a thing of beauty. But I love my 5s and wouldn't switch. But I understand why you would and hope you enjoy your purchase.

redlinux

macrumors regular
Sep 25, 2013
TLDR

Kidding aside..I hope you're not convincing your self and be "truly" happy with you settling with the 5C instead of 5S. :)

Tthomas612

macrumors 65816
Aug 24, 2013
TLDR

Kidding aside..I hope you're not convincing your self and be "truly" happy with you settling with the 5C instead of 5S. :)

It's not an awful decision ... I was up in the air too ... Then I realized no matter what I'll upgrade in a year so I "settled" with the 5c. Not disappointed ... It is a thing of beauty, but the 5s is as well ... Hell they are Apple Products ...

Lammercy

macrumors regular
Jun 4, 2012
I kind of see where you're coming from. I got the 5c as well for reasons that I'm sure a lot of die hard Apple fans would eagerly dispute. It just feels different than anything Apples done in a long time and the S just does not stand out to me.

It's kind of silly to see how offended some people in here get over others decision to get the 5c over the S. Understand that I'm not saying the C is better than the 5s, it's just the best phone for me and what I need.

MacDaddy22

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 2, 2010
I kind of see where you're coming from. I got the 5c as well for reasons that I'm sure a lot of die hard Apple fans would eagerly dispute. It just feels different than anything Apples done in a long time and the S just does not stand out to me.

It's kind of silly to see how offended some people in here get over others decision to get the 5c over the S. Understand that I'm not saying the C is better than the 5s, it's just the best phone for me and what I need.

I agree. I guess I fit into the same category. Best for me and what I want. And no, I'm not convincing myself. I truly am happy.

As to those getting on me for not using paragraphs, I was on an iPad mini. Relax. If you don't want to read it, don't. But why bother posting a negative about my writing, without even reading it? To each their own I guess.

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
Try spacing, really helps ;)

From the title I assume you have a 5c , and the wall of text is you justifying why it's better than the 5s.

No need, enjoy your 5c, the 5s owners will not be convinced :)

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
I agree. I guess I fit into the same category. Best for me and what I want. And no, I'm not convincing myself. I truly am happy.

As to those getting on me for not using paragraphs, I was on an iPad mini. Relax. If you don't want to read it, don't. But why bother posting a negative about my writing, without even reading it? To each their own I guess.

Out of curiosity, how does you being on an iPad Mini affect your ability to write in paragraphs?

I was tempted by the 5C myself but I went for the 5S.

MacDaddy22

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 2, 2010
It doesn't. I got lazy. I just meant the iPad mini stops me from writing correctly as I would on a computer. I just updated to include paragraphs. And I did that on my iPhone 5c :)

redlinux

macrumors regular
Sep 25, 2013

This is macrumors. You can't please everybody. :D

Robster3

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2012
Too bad that the 5C also has the compass and level issues that you say you were trying to avoid.

Thats what i was thinking. OP how's the compass/level on your 5c?

Also if you take a hit on your 5s the 5c will of cost similar to a 32gb 5s no?

neoelectronaut

Cancelled
Dec 3, 2003
I wonder how many macrumors users will try to convince you your feelings and opinion on the 5c is wrong just because they think the 5c is somehow devaluing apple as a company.

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC
The 5C is inferior in every way including battery life and build quality. But if it's your preference that's fine. Enjoy your phone.

imaginex20

macrumors 68000
Jun 17, 2009
Just my 2cents, I would have tried to get an iPhone 5 on Craigslist for $400 or so and would have saved a few more hundred. Although I personally like the 5C no way would I have paid that much for it.

Tthomas612

macrumors 65816
Aug 24, 2013
Too bad that the 5C also has the compass and level issues that you say you were trying to avoid. Anyway enjoy your thicker and slimier plastic phone. Swimming in your own oil is soooo much better than a thin, cool piece of aluminium. I also thought it was funny saying it feels newer than a phone from 2010 simply because it's plastic. I think you meant it feels like a plastic 3G from 2008.

This is one problem I do not have. My phone gets prints on it, but it don't get greasy. I realize aluminum seems "premium" but do we all realize it's one of the cheapest metals? The 5s is a tock update. If people wanna go with the 5c this year it is there choice.

Personally I'm a fan of both phones. I just don't understand all the hatred and stuff.

kupkakez

macrumors 68020
Apr 4, 2011
Austin, TX
I ended up returning my 5s for a pink 5c. I prefer the feel of the plastic and rounded edges and it's pink without the need of a case! :)

I say to each his own, you have to use the phone everyday might as well pick something you enjoy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.