Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KUguardgrl13

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 16, 2013
Kansas, USA
So I've asked about this issue a number of times over in the MacBook Pro forum thinking it was a hardware issue, but I wonder if it might be a software issue instead...

For over two years my mid-2009 13" MBP (OS X 10.6.8, previously 10.5.?) often won't respond when I try to wake it from sleep. I will open the lid and no amount of mouse clicks or pressing keyboard buttons will wake it. The only thing that sometimes works is a hard shutdown by holding down the power button. Unfortunately this also corrupts my hard drive and burns out the SATA cable (I've had both replaced a number of times).

I think this also started when my MBP was new and I would toss it in my backpack before it was fully asleep. I haven't done that in a while, but the damage seems to be done.

I did some Googleing, and the only thing I can figure is a corrupt sleepimage file. I tried turning off safe sleep and deleting the sleepimage file a few months ago, but the file came back on its own, and the sleep issue resurfaced.

Even though my AppleCare expired over a year ago, my local Apple store has been kind to me. In May they replaced my hard drive and SATA cable, and a month or so ago they reinstalled OS X. I haven't had to pay for anything, but the issue is still unresolved.

So I guess the question is: why does this corrupt file keep coming back, or why does a perfectly good file become corrupt so often? After OS X was reinstalled I restored from Time Machine, so did I just reinstall the corrupt file?

I should tell you that my MBP won't boot right now because I'm guessing the SATA cable is fried again, so I can't really troubleshoot. I had sort of given up on fixing it and have been waiting for the rMBP refresh.

Thank you in advance! If I can't save my MBP, there are other people in the MBP forum with a similar problem.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.