Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rockoar

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 8, 2012
Hello there. I'm currently using Mac OS X 10.8.5 on my MBP 13'' and was wondering if someone knows if there's a way to trick the OS into placing application's windows in a certain fixed-way. What I mean is, I know there are a lot of window management applications (such as Tidy, Cinch, Flexiglass, etc.) that can help the user arrange the application's windows as his choosing but what usually happens is that once you close that application, it will forget where it was and upon opening it again, it will appear on its default placement, which is not the one I choose before.

Is there a way to change this behavior? Whenever I open Preview to see a PDF file, for example, it will always open on the left-side of my screen. No matter which file I'm opening or from where it come from, it will always be placed on the left-side of my screen. Is there a way to change this default 'opening spot'?

Thanks in advance :)

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
Some applications use a default location and you can't switch it and some applications remember where on the screen your windows were.

Preview seems to be one that doesn't remember window locations (at least in 10.8.5).

Rockoar

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 8, 2012
I was hoping there would be a way to change that but well, gonna have to get used to it. Thanks :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.