Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

endurium

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 14, 2013
Just taken delivery of my lovely new MacBook Air and need to install Windows 7 on it for the odd bit of home-working, but despite following all the documented instructions on how to do it, I end up getting stuck when trying to install Windows on the Bootcamp-created partition.

I've got a Win 7 Ultimate ISO file (which does work 'cos I've installed from it before on a Wintel box) which Boot Camp Assistant uses to create the bootable install on an 8GB USB flash drive, and all goes fine until the actual installation of Windows 7, when I get an error saying that Windows can't be installed to the Bootcamp partition.

Here's a screenshot of the install screen:
BC_WIN7_install.JPG

I've tried choosing the Format option that you can see in the screenshot but that doesn't make any difference.

Has anyone else encountered the above issue? If so how do you fix it?

endurium

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 14, 2013
Format the bootcamp partition to NTFS instead of FAT32
Thanks, I had done that but to no avail.

A bit of digging around and I found that when I created the Windows installation USB key in Boot Camp, then added the Apple drivers to the USB key, and made sure that the installation USB key was in the left-hand USB port and that no other USB drives were plugged into the other port, then the installation worked. Yes I had to format the BC partition as NTFS from within the Windows 7 install but after that all was plain sailing.

apsarainfosys

macrumors newbie
Oct 17, 2013
The USB device needs to be bootable for installing Windows 7 from USB. For this, you need to run a bootsect.exe tool and use the Windows 7 USB/Download tool.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.