Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

blkonblk17

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 19, 2009
Here it is, I opted not to use the rear backplate for now. Enjoy!

DSC_0904_zpsce42b44e.jpg

DSC_0906_zps6cf66450.jpg

DSC_0907_zpsb6aceb18.jpg

DSC_0909_zps69859dc0.jpg

blkonblk17

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 19, 2009
Nice! How's your wifi and cellular signal with the case on?

Also, do you have any side pics? I'm thinking of purchasing but don't know if I want to go with white or black for my gold iPhone.

Wifi & Cellular signal are not affected at all. I don't have any other pics for now. IMHO, it looks amazing in person!

archrider

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2008
Nice! How's your wifi and cellular signal with the case on?

Also, do you have any side pics? I'm thinking of purchasing but don't know if I want to go with white or black for my gold iPhone.

I can vouch for the fact that the Sector 5 case does not effect cellular or wifi signal.

----------

Here it is, I opted not to use the rear backplate for now. Enjoy!

This is about the most beautiful phone/case combination. Congratulations.

pocketdoc

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2008
Maybe they have changed their materials...

I used a Sector 5 on my iPhone 5 and there was some signal loss, as there has been with every metal case that I have put on my phones. I am glad you do not have any signal loss, though.

Nice looking case!

archrider

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2008
Maybe they have changed their materials...

I used a Sector 5 on my iPhone 5 and there was some signal loss, as there has been with every metal case that I have put on my phones. I am glad you do not have any signal loss, though.

Nice looking case!

At most 5db. It doesn't effect phone performance at all. I've had maybe 10 metal cases. Believe me when I say the ones that effected signal are not being used. Element case knows how to do it with a combination of materials, I used a Pro model on my iPhone 4. If you don't believe me do a poll about the Sector 5.

DaveOP

macrumors 68000
May 29, 2011
Portland, OR
I've been curious with these cases, does the aluminum lose it's finish from sitting in cup holders, laying on tables etc. At the price, I feel it would hurt about as much as the iPhone chipping and kind of defeat the purpose.

archrider

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2008
I've been curious with these cases, does the aluminum lose it's finish from sitting in cup holders, laying on tables etc. At the price, I feel it would hurt about as much as the iPhone chipping and kind of defeat the purpose.

I've found it to be amazingly durable. I baby the phone and case though. If you get the Black Ops. the anodizing is type lll hard anodizing. Very, very durable.

JonMPLS

macrumors 68000
May 23, 2010
MN
I used to use aluminum cases on my iPhone 4, but when I started using it as my primary GPS navigation device I quit. They really affected GPS on my 4.

Have you checked this yet? Your case looks just super, but hate to affect my GPS.

DaveOP

macrumors 68000
May 29, 2011
Portland, OR
I've found it to be amazingly durable. I baby the phone and case though. If you get the Black Ops. the anodizing is type lll hard anodizing. Very, very durable.

Thanks for the response :) I've been on the fence for a long time, since my iPhone 4 actually.

DowdyFick

macrumors regular
Sep 3, 2013
I too can vouch for the sector 5. I've had a first edition since launch last year and I haven't had any issues.

That looks fantastic on the champagne iPhone.

blkonblk17

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 19, 2009
Sounds legit. How long did it take to receive the case after your order?

I received an email from them a few days after I order saying there was a delay on my order as they were awaiting a few parts needed to make my case. In return, they upgraded my order to standard overnight shipping. However, they sent it out on friday via fed ex and it was delivered this monday the 14th. All in all about 14-15 days from being order to being received. Typically, if you order and they have all parts in stock you should receive within a week or so.

Munkypoo7

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2011
Hanover, MD
Is the white a painted white or an anodized matte white?

Just curious as I've wanted a white sector 5 for the gf but I don't want it if it's a painted white with clear coats (like the older vapor series) as she can be quite abusive with makeup and what not. :p

johnnyapples33d

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2013
I received an email from them a few days after I order saying there was a delay on my order as they were awaiting a few parts needed to make my case. In return, they upgraded my order to standard overnight shipping. However, they sent it out on friday via fed ex and it was delivered this monday the 14th. All in all about 14-15 days from being order to being received. Typically, if you order and they have all parts in stock you should receive within a week or so.

Sweet! I just put my order in last night. Thanks for answering my questions and sharing those pics.

You have one nice setup my friend :cool:

tylerwatt12

macrumors regular
Jan 9, 2013
At most 5db. It doesn't effect phone performance at all. I've had maybe 10 metal cases. Believe me when I say the ones that effected signal are not being used. Element case knows how to do it with a combination of materials, I used a Pro model on my iPhone 4. If you don't believe me do a poll about the Sector 5.

5dB is 66% loss in signal. I would expect something a bit lower, no?

blkonblk17

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 19, 2009
Is the white a painted white or an anodized matte white?

Just curious as I've wanted a white sector 5 for the gf but I don't want it if it's a painted white with clear coats (like the older vapor series) as she can be quite abusive with makeup and what not. :p

It's painted white (perhaps powder coated)

----------

Here's some additional photos...

DSC_0929_zps2dc19959.jpg

DSC_0927_zpse737a94e.jpg

DSC_0922_zps7c3084dd.jpg

DSC_0924_zps9f9bd16b.jpg

DSC_0921_zps409e32f2.jpg

DSC_0928_zps1ae1bdf9.jpg

ngocnguyen

macrumors member
Oct 3, 2012

I find it humorous that people complain about the finish whether if it is painted, anodized, powder coated whatever...

When you buy a car( or bike or any other product)...you drive it around..you open your door and hit another car...your door paint is dinged/chipped...you wash your car, get swirl marks all over it (ie scratches)...bump up against the side and scratch it...does the paint hold up? Are now you feel entitled to a refund from the car manufacturer? You think they will replace your car because you used it or damaged it by fault of your own? Is your car worth less or do you feel you got ripped off because the paint or finish did not hold up?

I just don't get it...but when it's an iPhone case, everyone complains...albeit a $150 iPhone case.

Are people asking Apple to replace their iPhones if they drop them or scratch them due to negligence? Is it Apple's fault or the fault of the consumer?

The PURPOSE of the case is to protect the iPhone...who cares what happens to the case so long it protected your investment...the iPhone. Sure the case won't look as nice...don't drop it..or put it in a case that Element usually includes (or sells)

Come on people

Last edited:

blkonblk17

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 19, 2009
I find it humorous that people complain about the finish whether if it is painted, anodized, powder coated whatever...

When you buy a car( or bike or any other product)...you drive it around..you open your door and hit another car...your door paint is dinged/chipped...you wash your car, get swirl marks all over it (ie scratches)...bump up against the side and scratch it...does the paint hold up? Are now you feel entitled to a refund from the car manufacturer? You think they will replace your car because you used it or damaged it by fault of your own? Is your car worth less or do you feel you got ripped off because the paint or finish did not hold up?

I just don't get it...but when it's an iPhone case, everyone complains...albeit a $150 iPhone case.

Are people asking Apple to replace their iPhones if they drop them or scratch them due to negligence? Is it Apple's fault or the fault of the consumer?

I agree, a case is a case. a phone is a tool. I use it everyday. I expect, dents, scratches etc under normal use. I try to take care of it as much as possible however, If it falls, dents, scratches etc.. life will go on and I'll live with it.

DaveOP

macrumors 68000
May 29, 2011
Portland, OR

The PURPOSE of the case is to protect the iPhone...who cares what happens to the case so long it protected your investment...the iPhone. Sure the case won't look as nice...don't drop it..or put it in a case that Element usually includes (or sells)

Come on people

I'm not complaining, I am just curious. I tend to use my iPhone caseless and have always understood that getting scratches and chips are normal. I asked, because if I was going to spend another $150 to put it in something nice looking (because to me, Element cases are not about protection), I want to know if it's going to stay good looking, or have about the same wear and tear that the phone itself has sans case. I'll be honest, I didn't read your post past the first line but I think I answered the jist of what you were saying.

archrider

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2008
5dB is 66% loss in signal. I would expect something a bit lower, no?

Maybe I'm not understanding this. How is 5 db in 90 db 66%. If you are right it is still no effect. i probably over stated anyway. I really don't see any change in signal. I was quoting some other posts at that figure. There is absolutely no reason to discourage a person from buying a Sector 5 based on signal degradation.

tylerwatt12

macrumors regular
Jan 9, 2013
There is absolutely no reason to discourage a person from buying a Sector 5 based on signal degradation.

I know. I'm just saying, dB is a fun thing to learn, every 3dB gained or lost, your signal is doubled/halved. It allows for granular control of signal degradation

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.