Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Squilly

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 17, 2012
PA
Wondering, do you have a degree in higher education? I'm currently a sophomore (technically a freshman based on credits) and don't know if I want to continue. For what it's worth, I'm at Penn State which has a lot of programs to choose from but leaning towards engineering (but I'm awful at math) or business (awful at economics and 50% of students at Penn State go for business). Do you notice it helpful, other than the fact that employers see you have a degree?

leomac08

macrumors 68020
Jul 12, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
I recently got my B.A, now working for my Master's at USC :)

The B.A is becoming more and more like a high school degree sadly :( unless it's engineering or math, then companies will want you ;)

Don't panic

macrumors 603
Jan 30, 2004
having a drink at Milliways
Wondering, do you have a degree in higher education? I'm currently a sophomore (technically a freshman based on credits) and don't know if I want to continue. For what it's worth, I'm at Penn State which has a lot of programs to choose from but leaning towards engineering (but I'm awful at math) or business (awful at economics and 50% of students at Penn State go for business). Do you notice it helpful, other than the fact that employers see you have a degree?

there is a very clear and simple direct correlation between level of education and income. so on average yes, it helps. A lot.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
Unless you want to do something people don't want to do or something that isn't safe, get a degree. You won't regret it. Having a degree has gone from being an advantage to being critical.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
I have 2 degrees: B.S. in Science Education & M.A. in Theology.

As others have said, stick with it and get your degree.

malman89

macrumors 68000
May 29, 2011
Michigan
You definitely should get a degree, but if you aren't quite sure what to major in, then I say it's not a bad thing to take some time off to figure that out - particularly if you are incurring a fair amount of student debt (out of state, no wealthy parents).

Hell, most people don't really figure that out until after they graduate or well in to their adult lives.

I double majored in two tough sell liberal arts degrees, but have had no issues landing full time/salaried jobs after graduating. However, I now know what I want to go into and I will need to go back to school for it. I am saddled by private out of state debt, but I will go back to school part time at a local community college while working.

I recommend a college education for almost anyone; however, I would recommend an affordable education for absolutely everyone. If I could go back in time, I would have just done 2 years at a community college to begin with instead of paying $408/month in student loans (used to be $520 but lump sum paid two off).

Happybunny

macrumors 68000
Sep 9, 2010
Yes I do, and I do suggest that you try to get at least one, employment is getting harder, and the more qualifications that you have, the better your chances.

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
Get a degree...and not just for job training.

It seems that undergraduate education is viewed only as job training. I would also suggest that a college education is also to become an educated person. Knowledge of some literature, some history, some knowledge of the social sciences, anthropology...and more.

I am apalled that being an educated person is, apparently, no longer valued.

Get a degree in an area that interests you, but take a wide variety of courses...

Edit: I have a couple of degrees...but I also have a wide ranging undergrad education in many subjects outside my major field of study.

Last edited:

erickkoch

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2003
Kalifornia
I have two degrees, one in Biology and one in Medical Technology. The Biology degree was less than useful. Like the OP, I'm not strong in math but love science. The Med Tech degree allows me to work in hospital or clinical labs doing medical diagnostic testing or research.

Do what you love but don't fall into the trap of thinking you need a degree for everything. When I last checked, 1/5 jobs require a college degree but 1/3 young people have one (plus lots of debt). This has led to lots of Starbucks managers with degrees.

The suggestion to "take some time off" is a good one, I think. All degrees are not equal. Engineering is a plus, Anthropology, not so much.

Macky-Mac

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2004
a college degree has all but replaced a high school degree as the minimum education that society expects for young people starting adult life these days........although you can still work at a low paying service job without one

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains

Two aspects to keep in mind- find something you like, find something that pays adequately. Although the former is important, the latter is just as, if not more important. Most likely you'll not be happy if you spend your life financially struggling. If you don't plan on being an entrepreneur or a free agent artist, a bachelor degree to many organizations proves you are disciplined, know how to and display the ability to work for goals, and ideally results in good grades. Depending on the degree, it can be a qualification for the job.

Last edited:

Squilly

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 17, 2012
PA
Why not try studying something that you like, or, find yourself interested in?

I am interested in business and engineering, just can't get through the courses. Was leaning towards computer science but someone got me thinking that someone (particularly of younger age) will always be ahead of you as technology becomes more of a part of their lives at a younger age.

quagmire

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2004
Have a bachelors of Aeronautical Science from ERAU and currently working on my Masters degree with a focus on Aviation Safety.

And it has become critical for me in having that AS degree. With the new regulations of needing an ATP in order to be a first officer at a regional airline, I can get a restricted ATP where I only need 1,000 hours( instead of 1,500 hours) due to going to ERAU. Though as of now, I don't qualify for that rATP due to doing my training being under Part 142. The restricted ATP law is for Part 141 students. Which is ridiculous because 142 has stricter standards. But, I should be ok because ERAU applied for an exemption and the FAA should grant it.

Last edited:

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
I am interested in business and engineering, just can't get through the courses. Was leaning towards computer science but someone got me thinking that someone (particularly of younger age) will always be ahead of you as technology becomes more of a part of their lives at a younger age.

Based on your posts, the school of hard knocks doesn't seem to be treating you very well. Get a degree.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
No degree here. Been working since I was 15 so I guess I'm doing alright without one.
Would I recommend others get one? Well yes if it's possible and you know what you want to do.
Sadly to many spend lots of money on degrees plus time just to find there are no jobs in their chosen field.
In the UK we have far to many people studying beautician courses or travel and tourism. I even have a friend who did media studies and majored in horror movies. Unless your going to get a job making horror movies what was the point in that? Last I heard he was jobless living with parents!
Find out what you like to do, what jobs are available you would like to do, and what qualifications they look for.

Seniordan

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2013
Canada
Well I graduated high school with the absolute bare minimum because I hated school and was a moron. Now I'm 22 and in my second year at the college in my city, upgrading, getting all my high school physics/chem/math etc courses. Next year I planned to start a engineering degree but due to time and money, I may do a 2 year diploma instead, in either civil engineering technology or mechanical engineering technology.

I live in Alberta so the job market for these programs are pretty good.

AlliFlowers

macrumors 601
Jan 1, 2011
L.A. (Lower Alabama)
Unless you're in a specialized field, employers don't care what your degree is in, they care that you were able to stick to it for 4 years to get a degree, and that you have the capacity to continue learning.

When you start a new job, you will have to go through a training period. It's easier to train someone who has proven himself "trainable," than someone who wasn't interested in further training to start with.

Yes, I'm a high school teacher with a couple of degrees, and this is a canned speech.

Incidentally, both my own children have a college degree, but neither works in the field for which they received the degree.

sonicrobby

macrumors 68020
Apr 24, 2013
New Orleans
In 3 months I will have my degree in mechanical engineering. Definitely worth it. Engineering is a less competitive field than business, but it will require a LOT of math. But in the end worth a degree, any way you look at it

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar

Honestly the only thing a degree got me was access to higher jobs. I went to three different schools (Penn State being one of them) and school in the U.S. is a giant ripoff.

If you like engineering don't let math hold you back. Most people aren't bad at math, they're just taught poorly. I used to think I was bad at math until I took to learning it on my own. Also, using it for a real reason other than to just "solve the problem" makes it much more useful.

For example, I remember in highschool thinking no one would ever use the dot and cross products but then when I started using it for creating frameworks for game development I used it all the time and it made much more sense when used in a practical sense.

Sorry for the tangent ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.