Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

newmontecristo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 13, 2013
Durham, NC
Does anybody have any recommendation as to what shop to send a Mac Book Pro for repair?

My video card is damaged which means that the motherboard needs to be replaced.

Thanks,

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
How is your video card damaged? What is the model of your MacBook Pro?

Most if not all shops will replace your motherboard than attempt to replace the video card on your motherboard. Either the graphics adapter is integrated into the processor or it is soldered separately onto the motherboard, neither was are easily repairable without significant risk of damaging the motherboard.

newmontecristo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 13, 2013
Durham, NC
Last edited:

StockDC2

macrumors regular
May 16, 2011
If you're brave enough, you could try baking it. There's plenty of information on MacRumors on the process.

I wouldn't spend a dime on a machine that old, especially when the GPU problem will occur again some time into the future.

Astroboy907

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2012
Spaceball One
Apple would probably do it, I've seen a few members here that do computer repairs. L.a.rossman is one, I havnt tried his services but its worth talking to him, he's a great guy, really knows his stuff.

Potentially worth the baking too, if you would give it a shot.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
If it's the 2007 model with the 8600 GT, you can probably contact Apple to see if they will still cover it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.