Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Valve has released a video demonstrating its Steam Controller, a handheld gaming controller that will eventually be compatible with many Steam games, including popular titles like Portal, Counterstrike and Team Fortress.

The Steam Controller is designed to work with all the games on Steam: past, present, and future. Even the older titles in the catalog and the ones which were not built with controller support. (We've fooled those older games into thinking they're being played with a keyboard and mouse, but we've designed a gamepad that's nothing like either one of those devices.) We think you'll agree that we're onto something with the Steam Controller
The Steam Controller includes a touch screen in the center of the device with a pair of trackpads around the outside using "super-precise" haptic feedback and "dual linear resonant actuators" to deliver a range of force and vibration feedback sensations.

The Steam Controller is currently in beta and is designed to work primarily with the Steam Machine set-top box. It will also work with any PC version of Steam, including Steam for Mac.

Article Link: Valve Demonstrates New Handheld Gaming Controller, Will Be Compatible With Steam for Mac

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
So... this is like a combination of a keyboard/mouse and a controller that isn't actually as good as either.

Gotcha.

fiveainone

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2011
It'll probably work for most games, but for competitive FPS, mouse is still going to win. This is essentially turning mobile phone control back onto a controller..

xxcysxx

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2011
The idea of the gamepad was the feel of the physical joystick and it's resistive feedback. This hybrid will not likely do well.

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
I really thought this wasn't going to work very well but after watching the video, I'm intrigued. It's got possibilities and is capable of some things that just aren't practical on a standard dual stick controller.

SPNarwhal

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2009
illinois
So... this is like a combination of a keyboard/mouse and a controller that isn't actually as good as either.

Gotcha.

Works better than a controller for keyboard and mouse games, so it does have a purpose. Plus, it being inferior to a standard controller is opinionated.

Renzatic

Suspended
It'll probably work for most games, but for competitive FPS, mouse is still going to win. This is essentially turning mobile phone control back onto a controller..

This has something touchscreens currently don't: haptics. Playing games on your iPhone is just you sliding your thumb across a perfectly flat piece of glass. There's no feedback whatsoever. This controller? Some way, some how, it manages to give you what you expect despite being perfectly flat. I bet something's clicky in it.

Don't believe me? Just listen to what the Team Meat guy has to say about it. If you can play Super Meat Boy on this thing without any issues, it's a good controller.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
Works better than a controller for keyboard and mouse games, so it does have a purpose. Plus, it being inferior to a standard controller is opinionated.

I didn't say it doesn't have a purpose. I'm just pointing out that it's a combo that isn't quite as good as either of the combo. That is generally how things tend to be.

Also, looking at the demo? Yeah, anyone who takes that long to get a headshot in CS:S is not going to be doing so well in the game. And he even missed! This isn't even talking about games where you would want tactile feedback (which you won't be getting here).

bungiefan89

macrumors 6502a
Apr 5, 2011
Just write some better drivers for the PS3 six axis.
Then Valve would be relying on other manufacturers for their controller support... and that's not what they want.

More importantly, this new controller can trick a computer game into thinking it's just another keyboard and mouse setup. So you don't have to bother with drivers at all, just plug it in, map the buttons to keyboard and mouse functions, and a game made years before anybody even thought of a Sixaxis can now work on a controller! :)

OrangeSVTguy

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2007
Northeastern Ohio
Then Valve would be relying on other manufacturers for their controller support... and that's not what they want.

More importantly, this new controller can trick a computer game into thinking it's just another keyboard and mouse setup. So you don't have to bother with drivers at all, just plug it in, map the buttons to keyboard and mouse functions, and a game made years before anybody even thought of a Sixaxis can now work on a controller! :)

The Six Axis already works pretty good out of the box in OSX, better than in windows. I actually haven't been able to use it in windows at all. I also have GamePad Companion that I can use to remap all the keys. That was only $5 so that's better than having to go out and buy another gamepad when I already have a perfectly somewhat already working one.

bungiefan89

macrumors 6502a
Apr 5, 2011

Gotcha.
Oh dear, we need to sit down for a talk... #SomeoneIsWrongOnTheInternet

This isn't by any means a replacement for the keyboard and mouse; it's an option for PC gamers who want to play on the couch in front of their big-screen TV instead of on their computer monitors. It's also for people like me who prefer to use a mouse and keyboard for some PC games (Deus Ex: Human Revolution, StarCraft 2, PlanetSide 2) and prefer to use a controller for other games (Crysis 2, Skyrim, Dishonored).

Valve wants to expand their Steam service into the livingroom instead of the seclusion of one's bedroom or laptop. And in order to do that, they have to have a controller that not only works with every PC game, (like the Steam controller does) but one that's made by them and not a third party like Microsoft or Sony or Logitech. So, they made their own controller with an incredibly bold and modular design.

But if you don't like it, you don't have to use it! ;)

----------

The Six Axis already works pretty good out of the box in OSX, better than in windows. I actually haven't been able to use it in windows at all. I also have GamePad Companion that I can use to remap all the keys. That was only $5 so that's better than having to go out and buy another gamepad when I already have a perfectly somewhat already working one.
Sixaxis works great in OSX? Hmmm... I should try that out.
And yeah, I hear you on your second point. I already have a perfectly functional wired Xbox 360 controller that works great when I use Windows 7 through bootcamp. So I don't have a real need for the Steam controller (which could very well cost upwards of $70 for all I know *insert joke about Steam sales here*) but I'm still excited about the fact that it's provided as an option for gamers to use. :)

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
Oh dear, we need to sit down for a talk... #SomeoneIsWrongOnTheInternet

This isn't by any means a replacement for the keyboard and mouse; it's an option for PC gamers who want to play on the couch in front of their big-screen TV instead of on their computer monitors. It's also for people like me who prefer to use a mouse and keyboard for some PC games (Deus Ex: Human Revolution, StarCraft 2, PlanetSide 2) and prefer to use a controller for other games (Crysis 2, Skyrim, Dishonored).

Valve wants to expand their Steam service into the livingroom instead of the seclusion of one's bedroom or laptop. And in order to do that, they have to have a controller that not only works with every PC game, (like the Steam controller does) but one that's made by them and not a third party like Microsoft or Sony or Logitech. So, they made their own controller with an incredibly bold and modular design.

But if you don't like it, you don't have to use it! ;)

----------

Sixaxis works great in OSX? Hmmm... I should try that out.
And yeah, I hear you on your second point. I already have a perfectly functional wired Xbox 360 controller that works great when I use Windows 7 through bootcamp. So I don't have a real need for the Steam controller (which could very well cost upwards of $70 for all I know *insert joke about Steam sales here*) but I'm still excited about the fact that it's provided as an option for gamers to use. :)

I see why it was made, that doesn't mean that it is good. That doesn't mean that they're not trying to make a controller that can work like a mouse/keyboard as well. I didn't say that it was a replacement, I said it was a combination.

Which it is.

It's a controller that can be either a controller/mouse and keyboard. Seriously. I had been hoping that Valve would be able to do something great, but this just isn't it.

#notaValvefanboy

iLilana

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2003
Alberta, Canada
Dear Gabe

Send me one now pleeeze!!!! oh wait... steam hasn't worked on my mac for days. Stupid connection error... even though I'm connected just fine to the interwebs.

macrumors 6502a
May 19, 2010
Mid tower from Apple with a 660ti or better would be quite nice IMO. Controller is probably really nice once you get used to it.

/dreams

Last edited by a moderator:

macrumors 6502a
Sep 29, 2013
Hyrule
This isn't by any means a replacement for the keyboard and mouse; it's an option for PC gamers who want to play on the couch in front of their big-screen TV instead of on their computer monitors.

Can't you just use an Xbox 360, PS3, GameCube, or... anything else controller? Unless you like the Steam controller, but I'm having doubts about the design. I don't know if trackpads can replace analog sticks, and the right analog control is where the buttons normally are on any modern controller. I don't even see any easy-to-press buttons on there.

----------

-said no one, ever.

Said I. It's so glitchy! It's a web browser that they twisted into a game launcher with hack programming. I only used it because I was forced to for AoE II HD, and all it does is makes things more complicated. It'll be worth something if/when they let you use your PC like a regular game console when you want it to be one.

The interface also makes me feel like a spoiled brat 9-year-old who got a gaming PC for Thanksgiving. It's kinda like going to FilesTube and feeling like your IQ is dropping.

Last edited:

felixcat

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2013
Valve

Valve rules!
May i know what was the second game? New Civilization? It looks interesting.

CFreymarc

Suspended
Sep 4, 2009
Is this the "safe bet" development they went with instead of Jeri and company's Cast AR headset?

----------

Valve rules!
May i know what was the second game? New Civilization? It looks interesting.

I'd like to see your opinion after working there for a while. Know a few that interviewed some ex-Valve guys. Many commented it was like a group of high school students with lots of money and a school principal passing out tardy slips.

TouchMint.com

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2012
Phoenix
Seems pretty cool not sure if I will get one tho. I just think some games work better with keyboard and some better with controller. I dont feel like this is the best controller or keyboard out there but maybe some will?

alvindarkness

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2009
I'd like to see your opinion after working there for a while. Know a few that interviewed some ex-Valve guys. Many commented it was like a group of high school students with lots of money and a school principal passing out tardy slips.

I'm not sure if you are trying to make the work place seem good or bad? Sounds like a place I'd love to work at.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.