Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

AA-250x248.jpg
Apple announced that it has hired Angela Ahrendts, CEO of Burberry, as Senior Vice President of Retail and Online Stores. According to the press release, Ahrendts will have oversight of the strategic direction, expansion and operation of both Apple retail and online stores.
"I am thrilled that Angela will be joining our team," said Cook. "She shares our values and our focus on innovation, and she places the same strong emphasis as we do on the customer experience. She has shown herself to be an extraordinary leader throughout her career and has a proven track record."
Ahrendts will join Apple in the spring and will continue her role as Burberry CEO until then.
"I am profoundly honored to join Apple in this newly created position next year, and very much look forward to working with the global teams to further enrich the consumer experience on and offline," said Ahrendts. "I have always admired the innovation and impact Apple products and services have on people's lives and hope in some small way I can help contribute to the company's continued success and leadership in changing the world."
The head role of Apple's retail stores has had significant turnover in the past couple of years. Ron Johnson left Apple in 2011 after having been at Apple for eleven years and is widely credited for building up their retail initiative. Johnson was replaced by John Browett who lasted less than a year at Apple.

Article Link: Apple to Hire Burberry CEO Angela Ahrendts as Senior Vice President of Retail and Online Stores

HowEver

macrumors 6502a
May 10, 2005
Toronto
You're aware that Apple is sometimes the most valuable company in the world, the most recognizable brand in the world, and did I mention it's often the most valuable company in the world?

isn't this a downgrade for her? From CEO of burberry to a Vice President!

Truffy

macrumors 6502a
At least she's better looking that John Browett. But, then again, so am I.

----------

You're aware that Apple is sometimes the most valuable company in the world, the most recognizable brand in the world, and did I mention it's often the most valuable company in the world?
Nike might be a better known brand, especially among sweatshop workers who couldn't afford to know about Apple.

captain kaos

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2008
UK
I still cant believe they hired John Browett. A guy that was in charge of an awful electronic store that couldn't be a more opposite type of retail space than Apple. I don't see how they thought that was going to work, no wonder he was off within 11 months.

haikujim

macrumors newbie
Jan 4, 2009
She was the highest paid CEO in the UK last year, 26 mil. Originally from Indiana, Ball State.

mindvent

macrumors newbie
Feb 17, 2012
"Do you want to sell [RANDOM PRODUCT] for the rest of your life? Or do you want to come with me and change the world?"

jaredm1

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2009
Bucks, UK
dont you just love how users of a rumour forum on the internet know how to run one of the most valued companies in history.

Yep. She's a great choice. She worked hard to turn Burberry back into begin a fashion icon and out of the reach of chav culture. And, visits to Burberry stores have always been a positive experience for me which contrasts greatly with visits to Dixons stores (Bartlett's previous masterwork).

japanime

macrumors 68030
Feb 27, 2006
Japan
Fantastic move. Market to the elite, sell to the masses. That's what brands such as Apple —and Burberry — do best.

rodpascoe

macrumors regular
Jun 19, 2006
Truro, Cornwall
*this*

dont you just love how users of a rumour forum on the internet know how to run one of the most valued companies in history.

*this*

It doesn't matter what area - people, UI, products etc etc, everyone doing their humdrum jobs think they can do the jobs better than the million dollar a year execs. Makes me laugh every time.

djtech42

macrumors 65816
Jun 23, 2012
Mason, OH
*this*

It doesn't matter what area - people, UI, products etc etc, everyone doing their humdrum jobs think they can do the jobs better than the million dollar a year execs. Makes me laugh every time.

How did Tim Cook end up picking John Browett? It's worrying thinking about the types of choices people in power can make.

iMat77

macrumors member
Feb 5, 2008
Ticino, Switzerland
Strange...

Hired someone from Yves Saint Laurent
Hired someone from Burberrys
Hired someone from Nike

Seems like computers is truly not the only thing Cook has in mind.

WardC

macrumors 68030
Oct 17, 2007
Fort Worth, TX
In exchange for getting CEO Angela at Apple, Burberry let Apple showcase their iPhone 5s by exclusively using it to shoot their Fall runway show.

You know this was part of the deal.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.