Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dazedxar

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 24, 2013
Bay Area, California
Am I the only one that is annoyed by the 1 second animation from when you unlock your phone where you can't do anything? For example, I know what app I want to open before unlocking and it is on the second page, I have wait for the animation to finish before I can turn the page.

Sital

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2012
New England
Am I the only one that is annoyed by the 1 second animation from when you unlock your phone where you can't do anything? For example, I know what app I want to open before unlocking and it is on the second page, I have wait for the animation to finish before I can turn the page.

Apparently you're not. If you had looked down the thread page you would have found this.

Valkyre

macrumors 6502a
Dec 8, 2012
I really cant believe how people freak out so much when it comes to a few tenths of a second really...

its like you are Usain Bolt running the 100m and right then you just want to be able to pull out your phone, and check your X app in miliseconds and still be able to hit that WR mark...

seriously impossible for me to understand how that fraction of time annoys people so so much.

I can respect it though, even if I dont quite understand it.

To me the animations are cool and do not hinder the usability of my device or its speed.

Markyyy

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2013
I think it will undoutedly be modified in the next iOS 7 revision, probably the one that comes when the new iPads arrive. If not, then Apple are stupid, and I don't believe the're stupid.

EDIT: No, it hasn't bothered me either. I'm never in that much of a rush to open an app. But it would be nice if this was fixed so that those who it bothers are satisfied.

What bothers me is when I lock the screen but immediately wish to unlock the screen again. But if you press the unlock button while the fade to black transition is still in process, then it's not registered.

Last edited:

BvizioN

macrumors 603
Mar 16, 2012
Manchester, UK
Animations is one of the things I like about iOS 7 (among other things)
I have wasted many many hours in this forum and I don't think I am in a posation to complain about fraction's of nanoseconds time wasted when I am using the phone.

CB1234

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2012
Dubai, UAE
I think it will undoutedly be modified in the next iOS 7 revision, probably the one that comes when the new iPads arrive. If not, then Apple are stupid, and I don't believe the're stupid.

EDIT: No, it hasn't bothered me either. I'm never in that much of a rush to open an app. But it would be nice if this was fixed so that those who it bothers are satisfied.

What bothers me is when I lock the screen but immediately wish to unlock the screen again. But if you press the unlock button while the fade to black transition is still in process, then it's not registered.

But if they resolve this 1 second animation, then people will complain that the animations are useless any they wished apple brought it back...

As long as you have 'usain bolt's' and 'mo Farrah's' using ios 7, apple cannot win...

Fission

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2013
But if they resolve this 1 second animation, then people will complain that the animations are useless any they wished apple brought it back...

As long as you have 'usain bolt's' and 'mo Farrah's' using ios 7, apple cannot win...

Animation just needs to be interruptable...

liteshow

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2012

Animations will NOT be an issue if Apple puts a switch to turn off the animations. For those who like animation and not bothered by it, do nothing. For those of us who are bothered by it (and some that suffer motion sickness from it), we simply turn it off.

Is the IOS development team listening? Here's a simple solution to make everyone happy.

djtech42

macrumors 65816
Jun 23, 2012
Mason, OH
It is part of what adds life to iOS 7. The flat graphics look nice but are lifeless, so the animations help liven up the OS. I want them to keep it the way it is, but maybe add an option for turning it off or letting a user interrupt it for people who are bothered by it.

springsup

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2013
An 'off' setting isn't the answer, just like downgrading isn't the answer for people who dislike iOS7. That's just not how Apple does things.

If Apple makes a bad product, they don't fill it with toggles so you can switch off all the crap. They go back, and they fix what people don't like. Product creation is an iterative process; you never get it 100% perfect in version 1.

In this case, the animations are just a little too flamboyant, and get in the way of using the device. Apple isn't going to offer switches for every animation you don't like; they're going to think about the animation again, and see how they can tone it down and speed it up.

This is why we pay Apple all that money - to think of solutions to these problems rather than just slapping switches everywhere there's anything somebody doesn't like.

liteshow

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2012
An 'off' setting isn't the answer, just like downgrading isn't the answer for people who dislike iOS7. That's just not how Apple does things.

If this issue is only about the look and feel, and what people like and dislike in ios7, then you are correct in saying the "off" setting isn't the answer.

However, I disagree with your statement above because the animation issue is more than just appearance. It affects performance and usability, and more importantly health (motion sickness issues). Users affected especially by the latter should be given the option to turn animations off.

Altis

macrumors 68040
Sep 10, 2013

If Apple makes a bad product, they don't fill it with toggles so you can switch off all the crap. They go back, and they fix what people don't like. Product creation is an iterative process; you never get it 100% perfect in version 1.

In this case, the animations are just a little too flamboyant, and get in the way of using the device. Apple isn't going to offer switches for every animation you don't like; they're going to think about the animation again, and see how they can tone it down and speed it up.

This is why we pay Apple all that money - to think of solutions to these problems rather than just slapping switches everywhere there's anything somebody doesn't like.

Your implication is that Apple should fix it in a way that suits hundreds of millions of people around the world. That's delusional, there's no one-size-fits-all for everything... You'll find many various toggles and options in iOS as a result. It's just one more.

To those who don't understand the issue with the delay, it isn't so much about the quantity of time lost from our natural lives... It's that it ruins the muscle memory flow we've learned over the last few years.

Wouldn't this go against Apple's fundamental principle of having devices just work, without getting in the way? Having to repeat gestures because it doesn't capture the first one isn't natural or fluid. It's also strange because we're so used to it responding to our first touch. Some people are very quick at their devices, and now it's restricted to a certain speed.

Also, consider that there are threads about how Apple's multitouch screens are tens of milliseconds faster than Androids and other devices, and everyone goes on about how that's always been what makes Apple product feel so good to use. Wouldn't all those people dislike having delays and gaps where the screen doesn't respond?

Seems more unlike Apple than one more simple toggle, or making the input still active while the animations are going.

CB1234

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2012
Dubai, UAE
It's incredible that a lag as small as 1 second can cause so much upset to trade insults at each other....

Phone was created to be slave of people, but it seems wrong way around. We have become slaves of our devices....

Some of us really need to put our phones down, and maybe get out a bit more....

vexorg

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2009
Or if you touch the screen then it immediately skips the animation, those that like it can watch, those that dont can ignore it.

springsup

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2013
Your implication is that Apple should fix it in a way that suits hundreds of millions of people around the world. That's delusional, there's no one-size-fits-all for everything... You'll find many various toggles and options in iOS as a result. It's just one more.

To those who don't understand the issue with the delay, it isn't so much about the quantity of time lost from our natural lives... It's that it ruins the muscle memory flow we've learned over the last few years.

Wouldn't this go against Apple's fundamental principle of having devices just work, without getting in the way? Having to repeat gestures because it doesn't capture the first one isn't natural or fluid. It's also strange because we're so used to it responding to our first touch. Some people are very quick at their devices, and now it's restricted to a certain speed.

Also, consider that there are threads about how Apple's multitouch screens are tens of milliseconds faster than Androids and other devices, and everyone goes on about how that's always been what makes Apple product feel so good to use. Wouldn't all those people dislike having delays and gaps where the screen doesn't respond?

Seems more unlike Apple than one more simple toggle, or making the input still active while the animations are going.

There isn't a one-size-fits-all, that's true. That's why Apple will scrutinise the hell out of every single toggle.

In this case, a toggle for all animations, or even for just this one animation, isn't justified. Did anybody complain about this on iOS6? Not that I ever noticed. I have noticed quite a few complaints about this new one, though. That implies that there is a solution that most people are comfortable with, but this isn't it.

I get the problem: you unlock the device, but there's a pause before you can actually interact with it. That's poor design, and I'm positive Apple would rather 'fess up to the design misstep than add a toggle in this case.

There may be other situations where the design reasoning could fall either way with a strong case for each, and in that case they would consider adding an option. This isn't like that - this particular animation really is just decoration.

kre62

macrumors 68020
Jul 12, 2010
A few things I hope Apple fixes or implements:

1) Instant on. No more dramatic fade in when you press the power button. Just turn the damn screen on already.

2) Interruptible unlock animation. Just like every iphone before, make it so you can interact with the phone while animating. You can interact with different folder pages while folder is animating, but then it snaps back to the first page. Fix that.

3) Option to limit or speed up animations

These 3 would make iOS7 a knockout. I think this is contributing to the general "its OK" attitude out there.

identity

macrumors 6502
Nov 18, 2011
It's incredible that a lag as small as 1 second can cause so much upset to trade insults at each other....

Phone was created to be slave of people, but it seems wrong way around. We have become slaves of our devices....

Some of us really need to put our phones down, and maybe get out a bit more....

Funny that lag is what Apple fans say when talking about Android phones yet it's acceptable on iPhones.

3lite

macrumors 6502a
Nov 7, 2011
Time is money and patience is a virtue; two things that I do not have.

Apple needs to rectify this travesty.

Menge

macrumors 6502a
Dec 22, 2008
Amsterdam
Well, I'm annoyed at the length of the animations. I won't go with arguments like "time is money" or "it's wasted time". I'll just say that we've all been trained with 0.3s, 0.5s or 0.6s for animations on iOS 6 and below. It's what I grew to expect.

What ends up happening is everytime I unlock or view a modal controller, I either have to consciously wait for it to end animating or I go with my gut and lose a tap and get frustrated. A lot of people won't be, but some of us are terribly annoyed because everytime we go to quickly interact, we get denied for the first tap.

I'm not saying it's not pretty. It is. But it could be interactive in the meantime...

It's not about the time. It's about the lack of interaction during that time.

djtech42

macrumors 65816
Jun 23, 2012
Mason, OH
I'm not saying it's not pretty. It is. But it could be interactive in the meantime...

It's not about the time. It's about the lack of interaction during that time.

That's a good way of looking at it. It does look nice, but it leaves you in an awkward moment where you are not sure if the animation is done or not. It would be cool if the user could interact while the animation was still going, and the animation would change and morph somehow depending on what the user did.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.