Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X

Old Oct 15, 2013, 08:17 AM   #1
v2club
macrumors regular

How to export Keychain?

I want to do some housekeeping and clean install OS X, as you can imagine I want to keep all my Wi-fi passwords, web passwords etc. I had a quick read around the forum but something did not quite work right. One of the answers was:

“Provided you have the same username, you should be able to copy ~/Library/Keychains/login.keychain to the same spot on your new Mac.”

I have tried that but I only have apsd.keychain and System.keychain. Another suggestion was:

"You can copy the entire set of keychains directly without exporting them. According to mac help, they're generally found in the keychains folder in your library folder. Copy them to a usb drive or put them somewhere secure on the network, then open keychain access in lion. You can then add them with the "+" button, and select the file from your drive.

You’ll have to give your old password, but presumably you know that”

I tried that as well. It lets you copy one item at a time and you can only copy the password…

Any new suggestions besides copying 1 by 1 every single password and what it is for?
v2club is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2013, 08:28 AM   #2
maz-o
macrumors member

I just normally use Migration Assistant with the new install, and import my user settings from a backup. This restores basically all your personal stuff.

Edit: To clarify, you need a full backup of your entire system; either through Time Machine, or a disk cloning software to an external disk (I prefer this). The Migration Assistant is a basic feature of OSX.

Last edited by maz-o; Oct 15, 2013 at 08:33 AM.
maz-o is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2013, 08:45 AM   #3
Bruno09
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by v2club View Post
“Provided you have the same username, you should be able to copy ~/Library/Keychains/login.keychain to the same spot on your new Mac.”

I have tried that but I only have apsd.keychain and System.keychain.
You didn't look at the right place.

~/Library is the user's Library, your Library.

You found apsd.keychain and System.keychain because you looked at the HD/Library, not yours.

You need to look at :

HD/Users/yourusername/Library/keychains

Here you will find : login.keychain, which is the file you need, as said here :

Bruno09 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X