Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jbowden07

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 18, 2012
So i had a local find today which i was really shocked to see sitting by the curb, especially where i live, a Studio display graphite crt. I know that sometimes these can be hard to find (unlike there flat screen brother) which have only seen online for sale a couple of times.

ja70.jpg

There is only a few problems :( ... The display cable is completely cut off.... and the stand is broken...

3fcx.jpg

I was hoping that some of you guys here on the macrumors forums could help me out with a little knowledge on this monitor so i could try to restore it to its former glory.

As far as the cable goes, would it have the same circuit board connector that the flat screen studio display uses? so i could hypothetically buy one and swap the cords, or do they use different connectors? Also, does anybody know where a replacement stand might be sold at?

Any help is much appreciated :cool:

tdiaz

macrumors 6502
Feb 7, 2006
A cut off cable is typically a sign of "a bad monitor", to me.
If you can discerne the wiring from the inside, use the cable you've got, and a power supply, see if you can get life out of the thing before spending bucks on cables.

http://support.apple.com/kb/TA44027

MacTech68

macrumors 68020
Mar 16, 2008
Australia, Perth
There's plenty of people who religiously cut the cable off anything when they have a kerb-side rubbish collection. Some places might require it, but for something like this just makes me mad.

The original service part number for the stand is 922-4264 - but would not be carried by Apple anymore. It may be marked with 815-3677.

Replacing the stand is tricky, see:

http://manuals.info.apple.com/MANUALS/1000/MA1123/en_US/studio17adc-stand.pdf

Having said that, I'd be finding out if the display works first. These beasts did not have their own mains power supply. 28Volts was derived via the ADC connector. They CAN be powered by a G4 Cube power supply with a break-out cable, but be warned.

These break-out cables provide a connector for the Cube Power Supply AND a DVI connector for video - BUT BE WARNED - NONE of these actually make this display work as a DVI display, they only work with the LCD ADC displays. :mad:

Therefore, the only way to use this display is via the original ADC connector with a older Mac that has the ADC connector.

Finding a cable will be a real problem (other than a used display of the same model) - the cable is different to the ones used on the LCD displays, since the CRT is actually an analog display and the LCDs are actually DVI displays (essentially why a break-out cable DOESN'T work). :(

Apologies if you already knew the above. It's worth knowing if you intend to make use of it. Personally, I loved these when they came out. I used to call them the Robbie Display, due to the rear housing resembling Robbie The Robot.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robby_the_Robot

The other issue is that all the video, convergence and geometry adjustments are performed electronically via USB (again via the ADC cable) - this means having support in the Apple Display control panel and I'm not sure when that would have been discontinued.

Last edited:

Zellio

macrumors 65816
Feb 7, 2012
You find something on the street and the first thing you do is throw it on your bed huh? :rolleyes::p

jbowden07

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 18, 2012
You find something on the street and the first thing you do is throw it on your bed huh? :rolleyes::p

only because it is apple :cool:

... and it was kinda awkward to sit anywhere since the stand is broke, so i just thought well this is a good enough place to sit it for the moment :D

MacTech68

macrumors 68020
Mar 16, 2008
Australia, Perth
Would this possibly be a compatible cable?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Apple-Studi...=US_Video_Cables_Adapters&hash=item1e5be18c60
or do i need to check in the monitor to see?

Sadly, no. The cable for the CRT version has 4 connectors inside the display, whereas the LCD version has 3.

bummer. :(

Replacing the cable requires pretty much a full disassembly of the display - not an enjoyable task at all.

EDIT: if you're looking around, the cable needs to suit display model M7768

EDIT2: The other thought is to see if the other end of the cable is sitting kerb-side in the same pile. I would be easier to re-join it together.

Last edited:

Guyman17684

macrumors newbie
Jan 7, 2018
So i had a local find today which i was really shocked to see sitting by the curb, especially where i live, a Studio display graphite crt. I know that sometimes these can be hard to find (unlike there flat screen brother) which have only seen online for sale a couple of times.

ja70.jpg

There is only a few problems :( ... The display cable is completely cut off.... and the stand is broken...

3fcx.jpg

I was hoping that some of you guys here on the macrumors forums could help me out with a little knowledge on this monitor so i could try to restore it to its former glory.

As far as the cable goes, would it have the same circuit board connector that the flat screen studio display uses? so i could hypothetically buy one and swap the cords, or do they use different connectors? Also, does anybody know where a replacement stand might be sold at?

Any help is much appreciated :cool:

I don’t know if you’re still looking for help with this but if you are I have a stand and a display cable off of a broken display that’s exactly the same as yours (it had an imploded CRT so I scrapped it). If you’re still looking for a stand and/or replacement display cable I’d sell ‘em to you. Email me at guymanuel1111@gmail.com if you’re interested.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.