Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Old Oct 15, 2013, 01:23 PM   #1
Kiwi56
macrumors newbie

How can you run Internet Explorer on Mac

I need to do a lot of my work from home and I cannot use any applications for e-mail without IE. This is the message that I got form my IT dept when I asked them for help.

"From the screenshot I can see you are using Safari and not internet explorer, there is a version of Internet explorer available for Mac computers. As our system is Microsoft system you only get the full benefits when using another Microsoft product.
Sorry for the inconvenience"

However looking at this forum there does not seem to be a version that is available for Macs. Can anyone help?
Kiwi56 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2013, 02:00 PM   #2
chown33
macrumors 603

Ask your IT dept which version number of IE they want or need you to use on Windows. That will establish exactly which capabilities are needed.

Then ask them to tell you which IE version to use for Macs. Because I'm pretty sure IE never went beyond version 5.2.x on Mac OS X.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_Explorer_for_Mac
Discontinued 2003 (10 years ago)
I could be wrong about this, but if your IT dept requires IE 6 or something similarly old, then your only choice would be to run Windows. You can do that under a virtualizer like Parallels or VirtualBox, or by running Windows as a separate OS under Boot Camp.

Another suggestion would be try Firefox and Chrome and see how they work. At least it will give you a comparison.
chown33 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2013, 02:29 PM   #3
960design
macrumors 6502a

I run an all Mac shop ( okay so servers are Unbuntu; <sadface> were Solaris </sadface> ) and I work with alot of all Windows shops. I've never needed IE for anything.

Would you give a little more information? It sounds like lazyITitus.

For example: Mac Mail App will communicate perfectly with a Windows Exchange network.
Old Oct 15, 2013, 02:33 PM   #4
roadbloc
macrumors 604

Send a message via Skype™ to roadbloc
No IE love for OS X for quite some time now. You must have a copy of Windows to either Bootcamp or visualize. There might be a way to get it running in a compatibility layer such as WINE.
Old Oct 15, 2013, 03:24 PM   #5
Consultant
macrumors G5

I.E. is around 12% of overall browser in use. The IT department is just being lazy (but don't tell them that).
http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_stats.asp

Ask them if the email can be accessed through Microsoft Outlook.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi56 View Post
I need to do a lot of my work from home and I cannot use any applications for e-mail without IE. This is the message that I got form my IT dept when I asked them for help.

"From the screenshot I can see you are using Safari and not internet explorer, there is a version of Internet explorer available for Mac computers. As our system is Microsoft system you only get the full benefits when using another Microsoft product.

However looking at this forum there does not seem to be a version that is available for Macs. Can anyone help?
Consultant is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2013, 03:25 PM   #6
benwiggy
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi56 View Post
Dear IT

Just to keep you up to date, Internet Explorer has not been available for Macs for over seven years, and cannot be run on the Intel processors that Apple has used since 2006 because it was compiled for Motorola PowerPC CPUs.

Please explain what proprietary technologies you are using for something as basic as web-email, which should run in any browser, using open standards; and how you plan to cater for those who don't use Microsoft products.
Old Oct 15, 2013, 03:32 PM   #7
costabunny
macrumors 68000

Send a message via Skype™ to costabunny
personally I have a Virtualbox VM with XP for running IE when I need to check my websites for browser compatibility - I keep several versions of the VM for differing versions of the IE browser. Its a pain, but a necessary evil.

its probably the only way you will get 'easy' use of IE on the ac desktop, without boot camping. Its a pain having to have an XP license, but then these can be found fairly cheap on ebay nowadays. (I paid £20 for mine many moons ago).

“There is no greater agony than bearing an untold story inside you.”
costabunny is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2013, 03:41 PM   #8
localhost8080
macrumors member

probably the best way to run ie for testing websites is to download the microsoft provided test images. yeah, microsoft give disk images in a load of formats for you to download and use. for free.

if you install virtualbox on your mac (its free) or parallels then you can get various versions of windows with various versions of ie installed.

eg, you can get windows xp with ie6 right up to windows8.1 with ie11.

grab the images from: http://modern.ie

I just got a windows8 with ie10 2 days ago...
Old Oct 15, 2013, 06:43 PM   #9
MeUnix
macrumors 6502

You should be able to use Mail and be fine. As other members said, sounds like lazy IT work to me.
Old Oct 16, 2013, 03:20 AM   #10
wackymacky
macrumors 65816

Location: sent to 17.019528,-25.06721 for the next 6 weeks for my sins
I'm not sure what they are on about. You can use Microsoft outlook web access from most modern browsers. You can set up an exchange account in iOS an OSX. You can VPN in and use Microsoft Remote Desktop (or other apps) with iOS and OSX.

They're just being stupid.

What issues are you actually having setting it up?
wackymacky is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2013, 04:57 AM   #11
Kiwi56
macrumors newbie

Hi Wackymacky,
I cannot use colour, bold, different font sizes etc or forward images that are in the body of the e-mail. I can receive e-mails with these features but not send them. This means that I have to paste the e-mail into a work document if I want to use eg highlight text in colour or bold, all very time consuming.
Any help would be gratefully received.

Kiwi56
Kiwi56 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2013, 05:40 AM   #12
pdjudd
macrumors 68040

Sounds like they may be using Exchange 2003 - which you cannot connect with Mail and only has basic Webmail support on anything but Windows IE (not even Mac IE will help even if it was going to run - which it cannot).

Heck, they may not even offer VPN either or that VPN technology could be based on proprietary technology that is IE only and may very well be Windows only (like the one at my company).

You may be stuck in that case with the fact that your IT department may be using old tech that isn't well supported on Mac's and your only recourse is running Windows on Mac using the techniques listed above.

I doubt it's just "lazy IT people" like most people are saying. Most of the time IT has a pre-determined list of what they know works and what they will support. if you want things fully supported.

I can tell you that their knowledge of IE for Mac is quite lacking since it won't work no matter what you are looking for. They are wrong there.
pdjudd is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2013, 07:53 AM   #13
Flynnstone
macrumors 65816

The IT department @ my compnay has thing locked down too.
I generally use Firefox to access the Outlook webaccess for email.
I can do what i need to do. I don't do any fancy formating.
Outlook WebAccess seems to have a different look on the various browsers.
Old Oct 16, 2013, 11:37 AM   #14
snebes
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Consultant View Post
I.E. is around 12% of overall browser in use. The IT department is just being lazy (but don't tell them that).
http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_stats.asp

Ask them if the email can be accessed through Microsoft Outlook.
IE is closer to 50%. The stats you quoted are only for the w3schools website, so they are VERY skewed.

Quote:
From the statistics below (collected from W3Schools' log-files over a period of ten years), you can read the long term trends of browser usage.
Plus, if their using some crap software that requires ActiveX, he has no choice but to run the software over IE in Windows.
snebes is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2013, 12:46 PM   #15
roadbloc
macrumors 604

Quote:
I.E. is around 12% of overall browser in use.
Them stats aren't very reliable. For more reliable stats I'd use Wikipedia which uses several web sources (including itself) instead of just one. IE is currently at about 21%.
Old Oct 16, 2013, 02:53 PM   #16
Consultant
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadbloc View Post
Them stats aren't very reliable. For more reliable stats I'd use Wikipedia which uses several web sources (including itself) instead of just one. IE is currently at about 21%.
Yes, the data you showed that I.E. is not the leading browser anymore, which is my point.
Consultant is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2013, 03:08 PM   #17
roadbloc
macrumors 604

Quote:
Yes, the data you showed that I.E. is not the leading browser anymore, which is my point.
Irreverent. IE has a lot of exclusive technologies (such as ActiveX) that business use. It has nothing to do with laziness like you claim.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help