Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

johnny2435

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 23, 2013
Picked up a gold 64 about 2 weeks ago. Realized today that I am not going to use anything over 12gbs and I cant justify paying $200 extra for space I wont use. I noticed in the corner there is are 3 indent/scratches the size of a pin maybe? Im not even sure how they got there (maybe my otter box? specs of whatever were in there)

Last edited:

uhslax24

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania USA
Picked up a gold 64 about 2 weeks ago. Realized today that I am not going to use anything over 12gbs and I cant justify paying $200 extra for space I wont use. I noticed in the corner there is are 3 indent/scratches the size of a pin maybe?

In my experience, you should be ok. Technically, I don't believe that you are guaranteed though.

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
Only way to know for sure is to take it back.

Also, be aware that you should definitely be planning for future usage as well. 12GB is awfully close to 16GB, leaving little room for expansion. Some of that space is used for lots of "temporary" and "other" items too (like videos or photos taken, SMS, e-mails, downloaded podcasts, items being viewed from dropbox, etc.). So, be sure you're factoring that into your "justification."

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
They're not going to take that back. If you didn't notice that out of the box for 2 weeks... see an ophthalmologist.

imaginex20

macrumors 68000
Jun 17, 2009
idk...that's like me buying a shirt and going out for a night out of town and a hole rips in the shirt..then I go and try to return it and saying the shirt was too big. :rolleyes:

braddick

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2009
Encinitas, CA
^
Or, purchasing a new four door vehicle, denting the front bumper and returning it because you only need a two door vehicle.

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
In Europe they are not going to take it back, for sure.
I don't know about USA, where apple stores seem to be much more accommodating ....

----------

Btw that kind of dents are typical of a little drop on soft aluminum ....

Bako-MacAddict

macrumors 68000
Jun 7, 2012
California
They'll take it back no questions asked . At my local Apple store I exchanged my 64 GB for a 16 GB for the same reason as you ,they didn't even checked my phone at all . Although , my device was in prestine condition they didn't even care ...

SWIFTY1293

macrumors newbie
Jun 24, 2013
UK
Picked up a gold 64 about 2 weeks ago. Realized today that I am not going to use anything over 12gbs and I cant justify paying $200 extra for space I wont use. I noticed in the corner there is are 3 indent/scratches the size of a pin maybe? Im not even sure how they got there (maybe my otter box? specs of whatever were in there)
Edit: picture

Generally Yes it would have been fine for an exchange for another product in-store.. the fact its damaged is a different story and the only way you will find out is by going and trying.. I wouldn't try to hide it though just be honest.

Lucille Carter

Suspended
Jul 3, 2013
They might replace it but you should be ashamed of yourself. No doubt it was damaged by you and you just do not want to admit it. Lots of this these days.

supermassive

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2010
I also think, they colllect the returned phones, without inspecting them closely, since they go for refurbish anyway. Just send it in and see if they refund completteley. If not, they might refund 200$ less ;)

I wouldn't bother if I were you, someday those extra gigs come in handy.

redlinux

macrumors regular
Sep 25, 2013
1. You clearly caused the dents.
2. Just return it to an Apple store and see how it goes.

Lukkee24

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2011
London
Apple gave me a full refund (I'm in the UK) for my 5c which had a noticeable chip in the plastic in the corner from dropping it. So I would think that you'd be fine. If you're downgrading though, I personally wouldn't go below 32gb; 12gb used is too much for the 16gb imo.

d123

macrumors 68020
Oct 19, 2009
Earth
Edit: picture

You really don't remember dropping the phone? Those are classic drop on concrete (or similar) dents.

ROLLTIDE1

macrumors 68000
Sep 12, 2012
Why not just be honest with us and tell us you dropped it then you went out and bought the otterbox case :D I would hope that Apple would tell you to go pound sand

Joybulb

macrumors regular
Sep 3, 2011
Not sure why you're lying about dropping it in an anonymous forum, but yea that's a sidewalk drop for sure, and your reason(too much space? Blahahahahah) for returning it is absurd. Just admit you're returning it cuz you dented it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.