Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MulattoMajor

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 24, 2013
First of all, I would like to say thanks to all that take their time to read and or respond to this...

I have a mid 2009 MBP A1286. The other day my computer was running low on battery while I was using it so I go find my charger and plug up the magsafe. No light. Very dim that I have to cuff around the Magsafe to even see anything. Minutes later my computer battery drains and cuts off.

I check my cable by switching it out and charging my iPad. Everything's legit, it charges as soon as I plug it in. I feel I've ruled out the charger as the problem.

1̶.̶ ̶C̶h̶a̶r̶g̶e̶r̶

I then proceed to open my MacBook and realize that I don't have the necessary tools to remove my battery so I can see if that is the issue. So I find the tools on the interwebs and order. Few days go by they come in and I remove the battery, plug up the magsafe with the battery removed. Nothing.

2̶.̶ ̶B̶a̶t̶t̶e̶r̶y̶ (I still need to replace my battery, but, in this instance it's not the problem, or could it be?)

I think, well if it's not the battery, then it has to be where the power is coming in, so I order a Magsafe Port of eBay (new condition), the added tools I need to replace this as well and a few days later they arrive and I replace, giddy inside that I will shortly have my MBP back up and running. 20 some screws later, nothing.

3̶.̶ ̶M̶a̶g̶s̶a̶f̶e̶ ̶P̶o̶r̶t̶

Oh yes, I think to myself. I forgot to do the PRAM and SMC. That will make the eBay Magsafe Port work. Nope.

4̶.̶ ̶P̶R̶A̶M̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶S̶M̶C̶

I'm second guessing, maybe the Magsafe Port was shot prior to me installing and wasn't any good to start with? How would I know? Can I test that?

Now I am here, lost, depressed and in hopes that someone with infinite wisdom might be able to shed some light on the situation and help me. Please?!

A few more tidbits of information.

• My computer had hot chocolate damage a few years ago, dried and cleaned all with alcohol, computer and me, and never had an issue, MB ran fine up until the time it wouldn't charge.

Took my computer to the Genius' but they said it had water damage so they couldn't do anything because they warranty their work

Just to reiterate, the computer was working great up until it ran out of battery and would not charge. The computer ran out of juice and did not just abruptly cut off. The MagSafe was plugged up prior to it dying and there was no light. For this reason, I feel it's maybe not the logic board? But what do I know, it is my computer that's inoperable.

Now...Can anybody help me please? I can open the case and take pictures of anything you might would want to see. Answer anything you ask in reference to this machine in particular. Do whatever you might instruct me to try with this machine.

-Cheers

Josh

twingo

macrumors regular
Jul 3, 2009
Macbooks don't like hot chocolate. But this one gave you a few more years. So it may rest in peace.

MulattoMajor

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 24, 2013
Macbooks don't like hot chocolate. But this one gave you a few more years. So it may rest in peace.

So you're saying it's done? It was minimal hot chocolate that was spilled on it and it was on the trackpad. If the reasoning behind it not working was due to the hot chocolate would it not have just cut off and not continued to work until the battery drained?

KUguardgrl13

macrumors 68020
May 16, 2013
Kansas, USA
I check my cable by switching it out and charging my iPad. Everything's legit, it charges as soon as I plug it in. I feel I've ruled out the charger as the problem.

How were you charging an iPad with a MagSafe? Sorry, but I don't quite follow you there.

My experience tells me it's the cable. I have the same model, and my cable wasn't showing the light for two years and finally got to the point where it would power the laptop but not charge the battery.

The t-shaped MagSafe cables from that year had a recall placed on them because they would fall apart or even melt in some cases. This was mainly with the 15" models, but I got mine replaced in May with no outward signs except the light.

The best way to test this is to charge your laptop with a different cable. If it charges just fine, the it's the cable that's the problem. Replacing the port is not in vain though as it could have been damaged if the cable had a short in it.

raptor402

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2011
So from the beginning: your laptop was low on battery so you plugged it in. But it didn't charge. Now it's dead. You've checked the charger and the battery and replaced the MagSafe board. Reset PRAM/SMC, etc. Nothing working.

1. Have you tried switching it on without the battery?
2. With the battery plugged in, what does the battery indicator on the left indicate?
3. Have you tried another charger?

If nothing words, my guess would be that the logic board is gone. However, it is intriguing that it happened without any warning whatsoever.

I hope this helps.

Regards
Raptor

P.S.: I doubt the hot chocolate incident has anything to do with it. I went full out with a glass of Coke on my unibody MacBook; keyboard was the only thing that died.

MulattoMajor

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 24, 2013
How were you charging an iPad with a MagSafe? Sorry, but I don't quite follow you there.

Sorry, I mislead, I never tested the T Shaped Magsafe portion. Just up unto the box where you can change it to be usb and then plug in your usb devices.
I forgot to add, prior to replacing my MagSafe port when I took it to Apple, they used a newer model charger and it did nothing. I will try tomorrow with a friends T Shaped charger and my newly installed MagSafe Port. Thank you for your input though.

----------

So from the beginning: your laptop was low on battery so you plugged it in. But it didn't charge. Now it's dead. You've checked the charger and the battery and replaced the MagSafe board. Reset PRAM/SMC, etc. Nothing working.
Correct

1. Have you tried switching it on without the battery?
Yes with the Magsafe connected.

2. With the battery plugged in, what does the battery indicator on the left indicate?
When I push the button on the side, 1 blinking green light

3. Have you tried another charger?
At the Apple Store, but that was prior to replacing my MagSafe Port

If nothing words, my guess would be that the logic board is gone. However, it is intriguing that it happened without any warning whatsoever.

I agree on the latter, if I had more battery life, I would still be using my computer. This is the only issue I've ever had.

I hope this helps.

Thank you for your input!

I'm thinking should I pull the battery out of another machine that has a charge and then put it in mine to see if it powers on?

KUguardgrl13

macrumors 68020
May 16, 2013
Kansas, USA
Sorry, I mislead, I never tested the T Shaped Magsafe portion. Just up unto the box where you can change it to be usb and then plug in your usb devices.
I forgot to add, prior to replacing my MagSafe port when I took it to Apple, they used a newer model charger and it did nothing. I will try tomorrow with a friends T Shaped charger and my newly installed MagSafe Port. Thank you for your input though.

----------

Thank you for your input!

I'm thinking should I pull the battery out of another machine that has a charge and then put it in mine to see if it powers on?

Yeah, the wall outlet part of your cable is probably just fine. The issues are usually from the brick to the MagSafe end.

If a newer L-shaped cable didn't work either, then something is wrong internally. It could very well have started with your cable though, so definitely replace it if you can get your computer working again.

raptor402

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2011
As you have already deduced, your battery is probably fine. But if there's nothing wrong with the logic board, it would mean that both the Magsafe board as well as your Magsafe adapter were busted at the same time, which sounds rather unlikely. However, if you can boot with a charged battery, it might be easier to pinpoint the issue. Also, just to be sure, try your Magsafe adapter on another MacBook before you try another battery. If it's working, then issue lies in the Logic Board.

Regards
Raptor

MulattoMajor

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 24, 2013
Yeah, the wall outlet part of your cable is probably just fine. The issues are usually from the brick to the MagSafe end.

If a newer L-shaped cable didn't work either, then something is wrong internally. It could very well have started with your cable though, so definitely replace it if you can get your computer working again.

Tried a friends working T shaped charger this morning and no beans, his was only a 60 watt though.

----------

Is your charger 65 or 85 watts? 15" MBPs need 85 watts, 13" MBPs need 65 watts.

85 Watts.

----------

As you have already deduced, your battery is probably fine. But if there's nothing wrong with the logic board, it would mean that both the Magsafe board as well as your Magsafe adapter were busted at the same time, which sounds rather unlikely. However, if you can boot with a charged battery, it might be easier to pinpoint the issue. Also, just to be sure, try your Magsafe adapter on another MacBook before you try another battery. If it's working, then issue lies in the Logic Board.

Regards
Raptor

Will try and update. Thank you all for the trouble shooting tips.

MulattoMajor

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 24, 2013
So I plugged my MagSafe up to his 13" MBP and it lit up. Started charging, so for whatever reason I decided to plug it up to my non-working MBP afterwards and it lights up again but after 30-45 seconds the light fades away :( and went back off.....The saga continues.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.