Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Statelymwhite

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 1, 2011
The technology is there. Full OSs on tablets are becoming a reality in the Windows world, so it will definitely come to the OSX world, sooner rather than later.

I have nothing to back up this prediction. It's just that, a prediction.

Statelymwhite

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 1, 2011
Just because it can doesn't mean its good, doesn't mean Apple will.

They'd be alienating the iOS app store, but would start to make to OSX app store a lot more relevant. Porting shouldn't be a huge issue, though, since iOS is just a scaled down OSX.

Patriot24

macrumors 68030
Dec 29, 2010
California
According to the original iPhone introduction, iOS is built on OS X :)

I think you're thinking about it backwards. OS X (or whatever they choose to call it) will become more iOS-like over time. I don't believe that Apple will ever make the mistake of attempting to run the exact same OS on all devices, but they will share many of the same attributes.

Zcott

macrumors 68020
Oct 18, 2009
Belfast, Ireland
Not sure about this. Technically you could be right and wrong at the same time. Apple may decide after iOS x they'll call it OS X, but it'll be a touch-based interface. I don't think there'll be convergence with the Mac and I doubt the Mac will be getting touch any time soon.

I think Apple aren't afraid to keep desktop computing separate, though. I don't think they'll be running OS X in two years, nor will the desktop be running iOS.

solaris

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2004
Oslo, Norway
Prediction: In 2015 the MacBook and iMac line has been discontinued, and we are all running iOS X on our iPad mini, maxi or mega.

Nautilus007

macrumors 68030
Jul 13, 2007
U.S
OSX on a phone would be really pointless. The point of iOS is a mobile OS that is optimized to function on handhelds.

Lesser Evets

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2006
I am not sure it will. However, it will be capable. By late 2015, I predict the OSX platform will mesh more with iOS and there might be a morphed iOSX which works on iPads but no iPhones.

The iPad will undoubtably become the main computer for a vast majority of the market. It will expand capability through ports or expansion docks or some other method. OSX will feed into it somehow. Don't expect to see a desktop like the current Macs to be on a pad until 2020 when the nm & battery technology become incredible.

I think Apple should be molding iMacs into iPads and MacPros within the next three years. Desktops are fading away, the iPads are getting more and more capable, but professional users still need something with high power to produce the works used by pads, pods, phones, and other devices.

OSMac

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2010
It's the other way around?

Apple and MS both want to get rid of classic OSes and have full control of any app installed.

Apple is pulling it off by releasing the ipad with iOS,
MS tried to do it both ways and is failing on both sides.

The changes occurring in computing are amazing and its all because of Apple.

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
I agree with other posters here saying you've got it backwards.

It's OS X that's constantly inching closer to iOS, not the other way around.

betabeta

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2013
I think iOS is the future for all devices, it will gain power and morph it's interface to fit other devices and run more and more powerful software. by 2015 iOS will be doing all that OSX does and then some.

Putting OSX on an iPad would be doing a Microsoft.

thehustleman

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2013
That would be great and would make jailbreaking not needed because osx unlike Ios does everything needed.

iSee

macrumors 68040
Oct 25, 2004
The technology is there. Full OSs on tablets are becoming a reality in the Windows world, so it will definitely come to the OSX world, sooner rather than later.

Try out one of those Windows 8 tablets. The touch interface stinks for any software not specifically written for it. So OS X on a primarily touch tablet is a gimmick... unless the UI/UX is completely redesigned, ground up, for touch and all the apps are rewritten as well... sound familiar? (Psst: that's iOS)

OR... if you don't want to rewrite all the software, you could take an iPad, add a keyboard and appropriate pointing device like a track pad, oh and beef up the RAM, CPU, etc. so that the desktop software doesn't lag terribly... then, yeah, you could run the full OS X... does that sound familiar? (Psst: that's the MBA)

iZac

macrumors 68030
Apr 28, 2003
UK
Prediction: All 2015 Macs will run on a desktop based iOS

Whether serious or not, that's exactly my thoughts. :p

As much as it pains me to think of a future without OSX, I think Apple will sooner add built in mouse support to iOS than a touch interface to OSX.

Once the tablet market has matured, we'll likely see Apple introducing traditional OSX features into iOS, whilst keeping the devices locked down into the App Store.

At that moment we'll no doubt see the long fabled iOS-running Macbook Air with touch keyboard and then OSX will slip quietly into the night.

R.I.P.

But of course the time frame for this will likely be closer to a decade ?

Edd.Dantes

macrumors 6502
Dec 5, 2007
Prediction: In 2015 the MacBook and iMac line has been discontinued, and we are all running iOS X on our iPad mini, maxi or mega.

No thanks... Some of us actually like Intel[x86] and being able to transcode or crunch :p

I don't want to live in a world run by ARM code. I think there has to be ARM and x86 code.

No need to kill Macs at all.

joshdammit

Suspended
Mar 6, 2013
I don't think we'll see a total merge of iOS and OS X, but I do imagine we'll eventually see the "iPad Pro," an iPad with a larger screen and a touchscreen-modified version of OS X.

If this happens, I don't imagine we'd be seeing it with 10.9. Probably when they release 10.10 (or even if they just move onto OS XI eventually) and can build touchscreen support right into the OS without having to update a current version to add this functionality.

Even if I'm right and they do release this, we'll still have the iPad and iPad Mini, running regular ol' iOS.

kevink2

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2008

Possibly Surface could be installed, if Apple gets a free license :)

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC
It's going to happen eventually that the iPad can replace the base model Macs but I don't think 2015 is the year. Even if the tech and capability is there I don't think Apple will be ready to go ahead and cannibalize what's left of their PC sales. I think it will be much longer away like 2017-18.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.