Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Intel yesterday confirmed that it is delaying the production of its next-generation Broadwell processors on account of a manufacturing issue. Intel CEO Brian Krzanich announced the news during Intel's earnings call, stating that production on the chips will begin during the first quarter of 2014 (via PCWorld).

Intel's Broadwell chips are designed to be the successor to its existing Haswell chips, manufactured on a 14-nanometer process as opposed to Haswell's current 22-nanometer process.

intelbroadwell.jpg
Intel ran into some problems with the 14-nanometer process used to manufacture the chips and will have to fix them before it can resume production, CEO Brian Krzanich said during Intel's earnings call on Tuesday.

Intel normally releases new chips like clockwork on an annual basis, and the manufacturing problems are a rare misstep for the company. Krzanich said there were problems with the "yield"--or the number of good chips the company gets per silicon wafer.
The Broadwell chips, which will eventually find their way into Apple's line of MacBook Airs and MacBook Pros, are said to be 30 percent faster and more power-efficient than Haswell, leading to even greater increases in battery life and performance. The inclusion of Haswell chips in Apple's MacBook Air boosted battery life to 12 hours on the 13-inch version and nine hours on the 11-inch version.

Based on Intel's prospective timeline with production beginning during the first quarter of 2014, Broadwell MacBooks could make an appearance at next year's Worldwide Developers Conference, which is where the Haswell MacBook Airs debuted.

It is unclear whether Apple had planned to introduce Broadwell updates earlier, and whether Intel's delay will affect its future release plans. Apple's scheduled desktop updates, for its iMacs, will not be affected as they will incorporate updated Haswell architecture rather than Broadwell chips.

Apple has yet to release a Haswell Retina MacBook Pro, which is expected to come before the end of 2013 and should bring significant improvements to battery life.

According to Intel, the delay of Broadwell will not affect the company's next line of processors, Skylake, as the chips are based on new architecture. Broadwell, however, will have a shorter lifespan due to Intel's manufacturing issues.

Article Link: Intel Delays Next-Generation Broadwell Chips Until 2014 Due to Manufacturing Issue

Last edited:

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
Well that settles it. I'm replacing my SandyBridge MBP with a Haswell one. And will bite again at Skylake.

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008
Yes, I'm saying something that we already know, and should be seeing next week..

But this all but guarantees Haswell MacBook Pros by the end of this year. The question is: will Intel be able to fix this "issue" and get production ramped up by the time a new line would come out next year?

BL.

Orlandoech

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2011
Well then, looks like I will be upgrading my mid-2012 rMBP to a new one with Haswell now that Broadwell is delayed.

Xerotech

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2011
Very interesting indeed. I wonder how much smaller chips can get before they hit the pinnacle.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Apple to Intel - "Hey - we're still working on rolling out Haswell - can we cut you a check to delay Broadwell a bit?"

KIDDING!!

Illusion986

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2009
Still waiting for updated rMBP's but as the wait keeps getting longer i keep coming up with reasons why i should just stick with my iMac for couple more years. But if its more than just a processor bump i will get it.

----------

Apple to Intel - "Hey - we're still working on rolling out Haswell - can we cut you a check to delay Broadwell a bit?"

KIDDING!!

You might be kidding but i wouldn't be surprised. Strange things happen at apple behind closed doors.

Cancelled
Jul 29, 2010
Still waiting for updated rMBP's but as the wait keeps getting longer i keep coming up with reasons why i should just stick with my iMac for couple more years. But if its more than just a processor bump i will get it.

I'm in the exact same position, how old is yours? Mines 6 years old this month. As soon as I got the iPad 2 my iMac use was completely destroyed. Can't make up my mind if I should get the rMPB or just hold on to the iMac for another year.

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
It is really necessary? Haswell may bring 5% CPU improvement, though better batter life

It kinda is after reading this. I've experienced that issue but had Applecare. That runs out early next year, and with Broadwell delayed now, that means there's a high probably i'll be caught with my pants down and without a happy ending.

Last edited:

Amplelink

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2012
An MBA with even BETTER battery life? I'm loving my 2013 MBA as is. Anything above 15 hours would be orgasmic.

Ryth

macrumors 68000
Apr 21, 2011
I'm in the exact same position, how old is yours? Mines 6 years old this month. As soon as I got the iPad 2 my iMac use was completely destroyed. Can't make up my mind if I should get the rMPB or just hold on to the iMac for another year.

Get the rMPB.

If your iPad 2 made you stop using your iMac, then why even get another.

I can't stand being at a desk anymore..I like to be mobile and with the power of the laptops now, it's kinda pointless at least to me to get a desktop now.

baryon

macrumors 68040
Oct 3, 2009
I don't care, my Core 2 Duo is so slow that anything will feel amazing after that.

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
this certainly makes waiting an easier decision

The retina rumored MBA for 2014 are tempting, but if that is released with Broadwell, I would hold off. I'd skip first gen and if the Broadwell chip will have a shorter lifespan it makes more sense to wait.

Perhaps an iPad 5 might be stop gap to extend the lifespan of my 2010 iMac after all.

Illusion986

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2009
Do share! Please!!

1. Recently apple paying off iOS developer not to release the game just yet on android...nothing wrong with that fact but its not something apple wants to share
2. RIP Steve buying new identical cars so he could avoid having a license plate...Once a gain nothing wrong but strange and funny :) well man valued his privacy
3. The whole iBooks pricing issue...Some interesting meetings and planing had to be there...
4. I remember a story from few years ago where apple purposely would allocate way more parts than needed just not to let them be available for competition and then later reduce the order significantly.

Well that is just a few that were publicized and i could remember at the moment. As for the rest its more of an educated guess as where is that much money involved there are always shady things happening legal or not but that is just a fact of life in business, politics.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.