Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nienque

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 23, 2012
As a secondary school teacher, I use Keynote a lot. Recently, I have been thinking about purchasing an iPad, so that I can do my prep while in the train or at school. However, before I do, I want to know whether Keynote for the iPad is a proper version of Keynote, or whether it's more like the half-arsed version on iCloud.com :\

I use Keynote for annotating Latin sentences, so I use a lot lines/arrows/boxes. I need to be able to resize and position these with ease and speed. I want each element to be able to appear/disappear individually, so proper transition management is a must.

Could someone who uses Keynote for similar means let me know whether I will be disappointed if I buy an iPad? Cheers :D

yousifabdullah

Cancelled
Jul 19, 2011
As a secondary school teacher, I use Keynote a lot. Recently, I have been thinking about purchasing an iPad, so that I can do my prep while in the train or at school. However, before I do, I want to know whether Keynote for the iPad is a proper version of Keynote, or whether it's more like the half-arsed version on iCloud.com :\

I use Keynote for annotating Latin sentences, so I use a lot lines/arrows/boxes. I need to be able to resize and position these with ease and speed. I want each element to be able to appear/disappear individually, so proper transition management is a must.

Could someone who uses Keynote for similar means let me know whether I will be disappointed if I buy an iPad? Cheers :D

I use Keynote for iPad, and I should add that I only use an iPad. I no longer own a computer of any kind and sold my MacBook Pro in the winter of 2012. It's been a year now since I went "iPad alone" and I love it.

My iPad sees a lot of use, especially in the form of content creation. I draw and sketch, make music, work on essays, build websites. My use of Keynote is perhaps a bit limited compared to your needs, but from what I remember comparing it to the Mac version, it's close in functionality. If you'd like, I'd be willing to try doing some of the thing you require. For that, all I need from you is a template document to work on. How does that sound?

Cheers,
Yousif.

2stepbay

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2009
Hawaii Island, Hawaii
IOS Keynote is not even close in functionality to its Mac 09 counterpart. For more sophisticated presentations, the IOS version is much more time consuming to create and much more difficult to edit.

TheGenerous

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2010
I'm an Austronaut
I've used keynote for talks in grad school. I have done the slides on the Mac first because it's easier and faster for me to use a mouse and a physical keyboard.

Of course, the slides don't use fancy animations or complicated layouts. It's about the content and the fluidity of the spoken presentation what matters the most.

ScottNWDW

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2008
Orlando, Florida
The new version of Keynote for the iOS and Mac brings the two closer to each other in functionality. You should be fine in creating Keynote presentations on the iPad.

Viking2

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2012
Battery time on iPad Air running Keynote

Anyone who has an idea how long time the battery on an iPad Air will last when running Keynote Wifi off, Blue tooth on?

Even if I strongly dislike the new Keynote version I have decided to give it a try. At least to run the presentation from Keynote 13.

Stefan

Ps. lots and lots of my keynote files will not open on the iPad Air (does not matter if it is 09 versions or 09 versions that has been open on Mac with Keynote13 and saved and then moved to iPad.
some of my Keynotes has some films and the size of Keynote files vary from 6-72 MB.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.