Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xthishero

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 14, 2011
So I live downtown in a city so I don't have a car and take public transportation everywhere. So I don't want to waste my time going somewhere for no reason because it will waste time & money.

I'm trying to get a 5s through one of my local Sprint stores because I'm going to switch to the One Up plan so every so often I call up to see if they have ANY 5s in stock and usually it's a "No" but today I was told twice that they cannot disclose inventory info over the phone for "security reasons". Does anyone know what that would be?

Honesty the fight to get this phone is getting annoying. I've waited and waited and explored every option and I'm stuck with a 16gb 4s at full capacity, jailbroken due to the lock button being broken and no 4G.

RedRallyeZ

macrumors regular
Nov 15, 2010
im guessing it was an employee who misunderstood policy.

Most stores, including Apple, will give you a yes or no, but wont tell you a number. At least that is how all the stores are in my area.

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
So I live downtown in a city so I don't have a car and take public transportation everywhere. So I don't want to waste my time going somewhere for no reason because it will waste time & money.

I'm trying to get a 5s through one of my local Sprint stores because I'm going to switch to the One Up plan so every so often I call up to see if they have ANY 5s in stock and usually it's a "No" but today I was told twice that they cannot disclose inventory info over the phone for "security reasons". Does anyone know what that would be?

Honesty the fight to get this phone is getting annoying. I've waited and waited and explored every option and I'm stuck with a 16gb 4s at full capacity, jailbroken due to the lock button being broken and no 4G.

It is possible that they don't wish it to be known that they have a large inventory and fear being a target of theft. As they didn't know who you were, and it is not impossible that you might be a theif trying to find out whether the place is worth robbing.

It's a stretch...but not a totally improbable reason for "security".

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.