Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Simpler, flatter icons for the iOS 7 versions of iPhoto and GarageBand have been spotted within the iCloud Storage Management section of the iOS Settings app, hinting that the apps will receive an iOS 7 makeover in the near future, possibly at Apple's iPad media event on October 22. The icons, which feature bright colors, can be seen by accessing Settings --> General --> Usage --> iCloud Manage Storage.

ilife2.jpg
As noted by 9to5Mac, the icons for iCloud Storage management are handled over the air, so it is likely that the icon images were prematurely uploaded to Apple's servers. iPhoto is one of the Apple-made iOS apps that has not yet received an update for iOS 7. iBooks, iMovie, and the iWork suite of apps are also awaiting an update.

Apple could be planning to use its iPad event to display the redesigned versions of both iPhoto and GarageBand, as Apple has touted the iPad's productivity capabilities with those apps in the past.

iPhoto for iOS is a free universal app for new iOS devices and $4.99 for other users. It can be downloaded from the App Store. [Direct Link]

GarageBand can be downloaded from the App Store for $4.99. [Direct Link]

Article Link: New iOS 7 Icons for GarageBand and iPhoto Appear, Hinting at Upcoming Redesign

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
Really liking the look of these icons. Hurry up Apple, finish the icons for the rest of your apps! :)

WhackyNinja

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2012
Kissimmee, FL
I expect all of iLife and iWork to be updated for iOS 7 (look and icons)

iBooks to FINALLY be updated for iOS 7 (look)

And Find My iPhone should get that iOS 7 look.

jtrauscht

macrumors regular
Sep 6, 2010
Nashville, TN
Not an iOS7 fan (except for iTunes radio)

I know others like the design direction of iOS7, but I'm not a fan. Feels very 90s (in a bad way) – reminds me of clip art and "desktop publishing" in the Mac OS 8 era.

goobot

macrumors 603
Jun 26, 2009
long island NY
I just remembered that all iwork apps are free with new devices but only iPhoto and iMovie are free out of the ilife apps and not garageband.

TwoBytes

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2008
Horrid, they look like a 1970s Hawaii postcard

You can see where apple are going with this flat silhouette/transfer like design and i'm not a fan

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
Where can I reproduce the screen? I went everywhere related to iCloud, including "Manage Storage" and "Documents and Data" and there were still the old icons.

Edit: My bad. There is instruction in the article. However, I can't find Garageband there although I have a few songs in the app. That's weird.

I think the original iPhoto icon was fine and the icon of Garageband was a little bit crowded. So the new designs are okay for me.

Last edited:

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
Find My iPhone may have a new icon, but inside it's still all stitched leather galore, so I would say it still needs updating to the iOS 7 'look'.

The Apple Store app still lacks iPad support after these years...

Nevaborn

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2013
I personally love the colours of all the Apple iOS 7 icons.

We need more than awesome icons though. We need proper upgrades. I hope iWorks for iVloud gets an update too. The one thing I really need is the ability to changw vertical margins but have no access to the ruler so hope that gets done.

Im still not sure why they dont just throw Garagw Band in for free. Sure I get not everyone uses it so theres no real competition to demand it to be free, however on the other hand I could say not that many use it so why not just throw it in as the revenue from it wont be a great loss.

As for Find my iPhone and Find my Friends, I feel both could lose their apps and instead be merged into the Maps app. Stupid having multiple apps usinga map that never get updated when you can just add a tab in a core app.

Im looking forward to the software updates at this announcement than the actual hardware.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.