Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

saud0488

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 18, 2011
Hey guys, as we all know AT&T has gotten more strict about unlocking their phones in the past couple of weeks. I thought I'd open a thread to discuss what services you all have used and your experience with them. I've used several and they range from very good to bad. Please no advertising your own service.

BigiApple

macrumors newbie
Oct 17, 2013
Signed up just to find out where I can get reliable service cause I'm tried of trying, been 3 weeks with various sites and so far all goes down. Even Chronicunlocks is having issues, got my order cancelled.

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
I recently used Stock Unlocks for a student. (Yea, I'm a sucker, what can I tell you.) It was worth the $2.00 and 24 hours. Due to the sudden overwhelming demand, they have shot up to $30-$35 with a several day wait.

Not really demand except perhaps indirectly. AT&T closed the door the cheap unlocks were using. Now there are fewer ways to do it and it seems those ways cost more.

From: http://harvestcellular.net/att-iphone-unlocking-service-shutdown-for-good/
Update On IMEI Unlocking Shutdown 10-8-2013

Confirmed from a few legitimate sources, we can now confirm the shutdown stems from AT&T’s side. The masses of unlockers (mostly the larger guys pushing volume at the under $1 range) used a handful of direct sources to AT&T to fulfill their customers unlocking request (or had direct access themselves). AT&T unlocking requirements were simply not checked as hard or prevented through this direct channel compared to individual contract customers requirements. AT&T simply decided to become more strict overnight and instead of policing the IMEI unlock submissions they disabled a majority of the direct sources access and only left a few options and vendors access intact. This doesn’t mean everyone who was working direct was abusing the system. It simply means that direct supply is now limited to far fewer direct vendors. With these vendors having less competition to worry about, prices will go up.

Most unlock vendors have since reinstated IMEI unlocking services on their website along with IMEI Status checks; at a varying cost of $20-$35 per unlock. Expect the cost to remain in the same ball park for the long haul and kiss the days of cheap (under $1) unlocks goodbye forever!

jasonj566

macrumors member
Jun 19, 2013
chronic

I own an iPhone 5s, and chronic was able to unlock it under 24 hours, no restore needed

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Nov 23, 2011
It doesn't seem like anything's been processed for anyone within the last 24 hours.... anyone have any luck submitting and getting an unlock? If so, what link and what provider?

BIS2

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2004
I've had a request in with chronic for a week and I've been told it will be done that day repeatedly but no luck yet. Think I'm going to cancel and try someone else.....

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
If you TS used so many, why didn't you even state which ones where bad/good in the OP in the first place? :confused:

----------

I'm supposed to have a local guy that swears he can do it for $5, waiting on a call back now...

seems the local hasn't done one in at least a few weeks, you won't hear back.

GadgetGeek407

macrumors 6502a
Mar 26, 2009
florida
I moved from 4S to 5S. Filled up the form (https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/). Got the email ack in seconds and within 5 mins got another email saying I am eligible for unlock.
After 24 hours connected to iTunes and restored it.
Congratulations, your iPhone is now UNLOCKED :)

I am getting the red letters that say "Currently, this device cannot be unlocked" I have tried multiple IMEI and multiple numbers...what gives?

Belmont31R

macrumors 6502
Nov 23, 2012
If you paid full price for an AT&T locked phone call 'technical support'. We got two locked iPhone 5S yesterday and called. They are both unlocked as of now. We got the red letters on the form, too, but if you paid full price and your account is in good standing they should be unlocked by AT&T. If you get a ****** rep call back. They now cannot do it by themselves, and have to type out a case to submit up. If you get a lazy one or someone having a ****** day don't argue just call back. I also mentioned we are on a company discount and travel internationally where we need to be able to use our phones with local sims, and that I had been told full priced phones would be unlocked. Just be nice about it. I did have to email a picture of the receipt showing we paid full price. Not a big deal. If you guys are trying to get phones bought under subsidy unlocked they may not do it. Those are technically not eligible to be unlocked until you fulfill your contract, pay an ETF, or buy a new phone under subsidy which has to be on your account for 14 days in which case the 'old' phone can then be unlocked. And those under deployment orders.

momoph

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2013
man, i can't afford those 30 dollar unlocks

it's a little pricey to unlock an old iphone 4

can anyone help me unlock my phone? i got it from my uncle a year ago.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.