Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

giraffeboy27

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 5, 2013
Hey guys, thinking of getting the 128gb iPad when it comes out (I get an educational discount, so it'll only cost me £620). I was just wondering, for those with a 128gb iPad 4, how much have you filled it? And what have you filled it with? (Stats would be appreciated).

Ta!

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
I currently have a 64 GB, but I have a ton of music videos plus a few favorite movies and TV shows waiting to fill up a 128 GB.

nostresshere

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2010
Hey guys, thinking of getting the 128gb iPad when it comes out (I get an educational discount, so it'll only cost me £620). I was just wondering, for those with a 128gb iPad 4, how much have you filled it? And what have you filled it with? (Stats would be appreciated).

Ta!

What other people are doing is not what YOU are doing. There are people that can not fill a 16gb model.

Others want to have their entire photo album and a half dozen tv and movie series on their IPAD. What is you use YOUR ipad for?

giraffeboy27

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 5, 2013
What other people are doing is not what YOU are doing. There are people that can not fill a 16gb model.

Others want to have their entire photo album and a half dozen tv and movie series on their IPAD. What is you use YOUR ipad for?

This will be my first iPad. So I'm not sure what my usuage will be like.

A few HD films, about 5 Tv series, alot of dropbox files, all the apple iwork and ilife apps, and about 20 "big apps" from 300mb-1gb. Oh and about 4000 photos and 10GB or music.

Smeaton1724

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2011
Leeds, UK
Mine at this moment in time has 8.6GB free. I have:
  • 198 apps in total,
  • 2352 Songs (18.8GB),
  • 55 Videos in Total - Breaking Bad Season 1 and 2, Boardwalk Empire Season 1, A few HD documentaries at 1GB each (12.6GB).
  • 801 Hi Res Photos.
  • Goodreader that syncs my whole Dropbox to my iPad, (11GB).
  • Wiki Offline (3.6GB)
  • Games take a large chunk, such as Gangster (2.6GB) Kotor (2.2GB), Call of Duty (1.5GB), Deux Ex (1.5GB) and Fifa (1.3GB).
  • Magazines (5GB)
  • plus loads of other stuff, Pages, Numbers, Keynote (1GB in total)

Personally I use my iPad alot, it's 80% of my usage. I have my ideas and 'get them down in rough' then the extra 20% is refining and developing on the macbook. So in that sense I see value in going for the 128GB and 64GB (before this one I have now).

There's loads of great tiny apps such as Notability that is only 92MB in size. Netflix is 93MB, Engadget 123MB, Google Earth 70MB, Youtube 60MB. Just to give you examples.

For alot of people the iPad is just a web browser and video streamer, different things for different people!

Edit: These sizes were taken from reading the Usage section of my iPad in the Settings Menu - So are actual sizes, installed on an iPad 4 128GB.

Last edited:

giraffeboy27

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 5, 2013
Mine at this moment in time has 8.6GB free. I have:
  • 198 apps in total,
  • 2352 Songs (18.8GB),
  • 55 Videos in Total - Breaking Bad Season 1 and 2, Boardwalk Empire Season 1, A few HD documentaries at 1GB each (12.6GB).
  • 801 Hi Res Photos.
  • Goodreader that syncs my whole Dropbox to my iPad, (11GB).
  • Wiki Offline (3.6GB)
  • Games take a large chunk, such as Gangster (2.6GB) Kotor (2.2GB), Call of Duty (1.5GB), Deux Ex (1.5GB) and Fifa (1.3GB).
  • Magazines (5GB)
  • plus loads of other stuff, Pages, Numbers, Keynote (1GB in total)

Personally I use my iPad alot, it's 80% of my usage. I have my ideas and 'get them down in rough' then the extra 20% is refining and developing on the macbook. So in that sense I see value in going for the 128GB and 64GB (before this one I have now).

There's loads of great tiny apps such as Notability that is only 92MB in size. Netflix is 93MB, Engadget 123MB, Google Earth 70MB, Youtube 60MB. Just to give you examples.

For alot of people the iPad is just a web browser and video streamer, different things for different people!

Edit: These sizes were taken from reading the Usage section of my iPad in the Settings Menu - So are actual sizes, installed on an iPad 4 128GB.

WOW! Thanks for the great post. That sounds exactly like how I would use my iPad. I was worried that 128GB would be too much, but it seems it'll be just fine for me. Thanks so much!

donnaw

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2011
Austin TX
Everyone is different. I will easily fill up 128 with pic and videos (I have several TV seasons). I'm leaving off a bunch of stuff one my 64G. I travel a lot and like to have my entertainment with me.

But my husband (who also travels) doesn't even come close to filling his 16G. He simply browses and reads books.

CNeufeld

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2009
Edmonton, AB

A few HD films, about 5 Tv series, alot of dropbox files, all the apple iwork and ilife apps, and about 20 "big apps" from 300mb-1gb. Oh and about 4000 photos and 10GB or music.

Just curious... Why do you want to carry 4000 photos around with you, and entire TV series? I'm not asking to pick on you or anything, just wondering what the thinking is.

Clint

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Just curious... Why do you want to carry 4000 photos around with you, and entire TV series? I'm not asking to pick on you or anything, just wondering what the thinking is.

Clint

Because you never know which one you want to see/watch. For instance, I run into another cat lover one day, then realize I haven't synced my cat pics to my iPad. Or I suddenly find myself in the mood for episode one of Sherlock season one, but I only happen to have season two with me.

The more I can keep on my iPad, the less the chances that above scenarios will happen.

Smeaton1724

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2011
Leeds, UK
WOW! Thanks for the great post. That sounds exactly like how I would use my iPad. I was worried that 128GB would be too much, but it seems it'll be just fine for me. Thanks so much!

Hope I've helped. With the wealth of image editing apps on the iPad it makes sense to store a few thousand images. It can get very difficult in the camera roll app though!

nostresshere

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2010

Clint

Our ipad is our photo album. Pretty much everything is on there.

As to a few tv shows or movies - never know when we will be stuck someplace and want to watch stuff.

Macalway

macrumors 68040
Aug 7, 2013
No way I'd buy another 64gb. (It's weird that I had a 16gb for a long time)

I'm sure 128gb will not be enough in 5 months.

Oh well, I'll be dead some day :eek:

Lesser Evets

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2006
I used to pile everything on my iDevices. Despite having endless TB of video and music and pictures and movies and apps and files ... I learned to only carry 10-20GB on my iDevices, if available. While it is nice to have everything there, you just don't use everything.

The moment these are 256GB, I can't imagine filling them with what I use in a year or two.

Foxer

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2003
Washington, DC
I bought the 128 specifically to pile lots of movies and TV on it while I travel. Very happy I did. Already sold it on ebay in advance of tomorrow's announcement, so I can't provide the exact stats. When not travelling, it's usually about 1/3 full, though.

PDFierro

macrumors 68040
Sep 8, 2009

Even with all that, you don't need 128GB. There is the cloud. If your movies/TV shows are purchased from iTunes, then you don't need to have them stored locally until you actually need them.

I'll echo what some other people have said, don't rely on other people's usage in order to figure out your own. But go ahead and buy the 128 if you just have money to burn. But I would just figure out YOUR usage.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.