Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Aaron1413

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 17, 2013
My wife bought a iphone 4 from a person and when she called to activate it they said they couldn't because the person who had the phone didn't pay their bill, so now i'm stuck with a iphone that can't be used, what are my options, if any?

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
What carrier is the iphone 4 locked to?
That's what happens when buying used, you gotta be very careful and meet at the carriers store to do the swap and activate the new device on your account.
They will tell you if its blacklisted or not.

Aaron1413

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 17, 2013
It's through Verizon and I told her not to buy it but she did anyway and of course this happens.

blueroom

macrumors 603
Feb 15, 2009
Toronto, Canada
I'm sure they'd unblock it if you pay up on the outstanding balance. Best bet is to contact a Verizon CSR, or return it to the buyer.

Aaron1413

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 17, 2013
I'm not paying an outstanding balance, I didn't know if there was a way to bypass the activation in any way.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
I'm sure they'd unblock it if you pay up on the outstanding balance. Best bet is to contact a Verizon CSR, or return it to the buyer.

They wont allow you to do that.
You cant pay another customers outstanding balance or ETF in order to clear a phones ESN.
Only the original owner can do that for obvious privacy and identity issues.

I'm not paying an outstanding balance, I didn't know if there was a way to bypass the activation in any way.

Sorry, there isn't.
Its done on verizons end and once they blacklist that particular ESN then it cannot be activated or used again on their system.

ItBeMe22

macrumors 6502

:D I love this blueroom lets say you have a really nice iPhone, and me the nice guy I steel your nice iPhone and call Verizon and tell them to hook me up and they say, no can do Bluueroom the one you say you bought from owes $80. on it, So I say no problem I will pay it. So I pay the $80. and get hooked up. Now I just got a very nice iPhone working for $80. So now I can use it or sell your very nice for hundreds of dollars :D And return it to seller who is long gone and most likely stole the phone in the first place or new they owed money on it.:D
People read these forums and learn something.:D

blueroom

macrumors 603
Feb 15, 2009
Toronto, Canada
So what's a safe way to buy a used iPhone?

Would meeting the seller in Verison and having it activated on the spot be the thing to do?

Seems like the OP now owns an expensive iPod touch.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.