Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Joeytpg

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 1, 2004
Vienna, Austria
i need to buy a mic, i'll be using it for a few things such as Vocals, guitar amp (acoustic and electric guitar, both distortion and clean) and some Bass. But the Main thin will be Vocals. Which one should i get??!?!

.:*Robot Boy*:.

macrumors 6502
Jan 21, 2005
New Zealand
Joeytpg said:
i need to buy a mic, i'll be using it for a few things such as Vocals, guitar amp (acoustic and electric guitar, both distortion and clean) and some Bass. But the Main thin will be Vocals. Which one should i get??!?!

Go with the SM58 - it's designed for vocals and performs as well as the SM57 on guitar and bass :)

beatsme

macrumors 65816
Oct 6, 2005
for bass

Joeytpg said:

as far as bass goes, you might try just plugging the bass right into the board and recording it dry. You can add EQ and amp modeling (if you want) later. That's how I do it, and with a little EQ fiddling I've been able to get pretty much any sound I want. It's an easy way to avoid "rattle" i.e. things vibrating because of the bass amp. Also keeps the neighbors happy :)

get a good compressor, too, if you haven't got one already. I've got a DigiTech XSeries compressor for my bass...works wonders.

cheers

Spankenrear

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2005
New Brunswick, Canada
Buy a SM58, if you record something that you feel needs more of a SM57 sound just take off the screen, it will sound pretty much the same as a 57. Both mics have the same capsule.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.