Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chibamac

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 10, 2009
So my Magpul OD Green got delivered today and I thought I would say a couple of things.

photo%25201-1.jpg

Being Canadian I found it best to order from Ebay. The seller was rustyvelvet
I miffed some important details about renewing my credit card on Paypal and that resulted in the seller getting payed by echeque which clears much much later. After unsuccessfully trying to fix things with paypal The seller simply told me not to worry and put it in the mail the next day. Really? Amazing!

rustyvelvet, if your reading this I want to thank you for being awesome! A huge recommendation to her for anyone who wants this case via Ebay.

Now on to my mini review.

Since may of you have the apple leather case I decided to use this as a basis of comparison.

photo%25202-1.jpg

The inside of the apple case has micro suede which I happen to love. The inside to the Magpul is a smooth plastic surface. I'm guessing it would be a good idea to remove the magpul and clean any dust / lint once in a while. The Apple on the other hand probably doesn't need to be removed as much because of the suede. When I removed it the phone looked brand new.

photo%25203-1.jpg

photo%25204.jpg

You can see the diference in thickness between the two cases.
To my surprise, the sleep awake button on the magpul is easier to push than the apple. This is probably because of the button size and tactile difference.

photo%25202.jpg

The volume buttons are easy to feel / find as well. Their stiffer than Apple leather case but not as stiff / awkward as the Spigen SGP Tough Armour.

photo%25201.jpg

The amount of room to plug in the lightning connecter seems to be the same.

JDP_8579.jpg

While the apple is shaped differently than the magpul they both fit the Monoprice cord I have without any problems.

photo%25203.jpg

The Camera cutouts look to be the same size. No weird flare / ghosting to report while using flash.

photo%25205.jpg

The Feel of this case seems to be a polarizing feature on here. I'll say that over all it's the best plastic material I have come across. Grippy and solid. The inclusion of raised square outlines make it a pleasure to take out of tight jean pockets. The anti fingerprint mat surface is a pleasure to hold and use. As others have said, the case is designed to feel as if it's part of the phone.. No creaking flexing etc.. I can understand how Magpul has become so well known for their gear.. Outstanding!

I Love my apple case for meetings and dressy affairs but wanted something tougher for vacations and everything else. This Magpul Field Case is it.

Hope this helps!

Chiba

Nipommu

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2011
good review. thinking of getting this but couple of things worry me like if the spigen glas.t and if its hard to take on and off. nice car btw

chibamac

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 10, 2009
good review. thinking of getting this but couple of things worry me like if the spigen glas.t and if its hard to take on and off. nice car btw

Thanks Nipommu,

I'm glad you brought that up. While I don't have spigen Glass.t I do have their Ultra crystal screen and have no problems whatsoever. Puting the case on is easy. Taking the case off is much easier than the apple case!

Chiba

mdehoogh

macrumors member
Oct 30, 2012

I have a TechArmor Ballistic glass protector (I think it's .4mm) with the Magpul Field case and there are no problems. The Magpul covers up the edges but leaves the entirety of the screen uncovered so any screen protector should be alright.

chiba, what car mount is that? Also you said it fits fine with the 6' monoprice cable, do you happen to have their 10' cable to test out (the connectors are different sizes on all their cables)

cmichaelb

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2008
Italy

Thanks Nipommu,

I'm glad you brought that up. While I don't have spigen Glass.t I do have their Ultra crystal screen and have no problems whatsoever. Puting the case on is easy. Taking the case off is much easier than the apple case!

Chiba

Great review.

I've been using Magpul cases since the 3GS and they use the same material they use in their rifle magazines. So I picked up one for my 5S immediately.

They cases are very inexpensive here in the US and are thin, light, and can take TONS of abuse.

I just wish they made their Executive Field case for the 5S. I have three of those for my 4S and LOVED them. They are even more streamlined than the regular Field Cases.

mag450.jpg

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I love Magpul cases. I had the field case for my 3GS and bought the executive for my 4S. I prefer the executive though.

chibamac

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 10, 2009
Great review.

I've been using Magpul cases since the 3GS and they use the same material they use in their rifle magazines. So I picked up one for my 5S immediately.

They cases are very inexpensive here in the US and are thin, light, and can take TONS of abuse.

I just wish they made their Executive Field case for the 5S. I have three of those for my 4S and LOVED them. They are even more streamlined than the regular Field Cases.

Thanks Cmichaelb,
This is my first product from Magpul but definitely won't be my last.
It ended up costing me around 22 bucks canadian including delivery. That's not bad when you consider I spent over 30 for a Spigan tough armour that just sits in a drawer. The Magpul is definitely a keeper

I have a TechArmor Ballistic glass protector (I think it's .4mm) with the Magpul Field case and there are no problems. The Magpul covers up the edges but leaves the entirety of the screen uncovered so any screen protector should be alright.

chiba, what car mount is that? Also you said it fits fine with the 6' monoprice cable, do you happen to have their 10' cable to test out (the connectors are different sizes on all their cables)

Thats the Airframe car mount made by Kenu. $25 from the apple store and the best solution in my case. I have a 3' , 6' and 4 inch cables. None of tem give me any trouble with the Magpul / apple cases. Sorry, No 10 foot cable here to test out.

Chiba

Last edited:

blcfla

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2013
Nice review, I just recently got this case for my 5, but switched to a 5S today, fits just the same. Got mine in Gray.

Probably the best case I've had, love the feel and its just enough protection without making the phone bulky at all.

Case removal is super easy like you said, worst case for removing is Poetic Atmosphere x100.

webslinger85

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2010
Great review. Did you come across any additional customs charges? i'd love a Magpul case, but don't want to pay up the wazoo for one.

As well, the mount in your car, is that the Kenu Airframe? What's your opinion on it?

chibamac

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 10, 2009
Great review. Did you come across any additional customs charges? i'd love a Magpul case, but don't want to pay up the wazoo for one.

As well, the mount in your car, is that the Kenu Airframe? What's your opinion on it?

The case went through customs but I didn't get charged anything extra. I'm not 100% on this but I think anything less than $50 you don't have to pay extra..
That's my experience anyway.

The Kenu Airframe deserves it's own review.. Very simple but works well for me.

Up until buying the Kenu recently, I was using a much more expensive solution called Ram mount.

JDP_3510.jpg

JDP_3514.jpg

That Bit of kit oozes quality but as you can see, my phone is no where the the windshield but easily accessible / close to where my right hand rests naturally. As a result I found myself using the phone more while driving and not paying enough attention to the road..

The Kenu Airframe on the other hand is close to the windshield and on the left side of the car. This forces me to set my gps and not use it as much which is better for everyone on the road (trust me).. It's also nice to have my second cupholder back. It may not be as easy to get in and out of like the X clip but it looks clean and stays put.

Hope that helps!

Chiba

walmartmartyr

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2012

What makes the car nice? The symbol on the steering wheel?

----------

$22 is a ripoff. I found a seller on amazon.com that will ship to Canada for $3. The magpul case is $10. I've ordered 3 cases from them. They have no black 5s cases at the moment but have all the others.

Action gear is the seller.

Robster3

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2012

In this case YES

$22 is a ripoff. I found a seller on amazon.com that will ship to Canada for $3. The magpul case is $10. I've ordered 3 cases from them. They have no black 5s cases at the moment but have all the others.

Link

chibamac

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 10, 2009

----------

Nice bit of trolling Fella.. If you have to ask, you have probably never driven one :)

I'll try and get over a potential 9 dollar loss. Thans for the tip :) At least this comment was more constructive, especially if you can show us a link.

Krabba

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2013
Charlotte, NC USA
Nice review and great pics. I have both the Magpul Field Case and the Apple leather in black for my 5s and love them both. I use them as you do with the Apple case being the more "dressy" option and the Magpul the more "causal". I had a Magpul Executive case on my 4S for two years and loved it. I do wish they made the Executive for the 5/5s, but I can definitely live with the Field version.

PS - Definitely a nice car... I drive one daily. ;)

chibamac

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 10, 2009
Nice review and great pics. I have both the Magpul Field Case and the Apple leather in black for my 5s and love them both. I use them as you do with the Apple case being the more "dressy" option and the Magpul the more "causal". I had a Magpul Executive case on my 4S for two years and loved it. I do wish they made the Executive for the 5/5s, but I can definitely live with the Field version.

PS - Definitely a nice car... I drive one daily. ;)

Nice, we both have incredibly excellent / practical taste.

I love the magpul case but I find the back design abrasive when I'm holding the case for awhile.

While this is only the second day with said case, I haven't experienced any discomfort.

Chiba

chibamac

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 10, 2009
Nice to see you old friend :). This is sniper...the guy who bought and sold the planet ocean 12 times lol. Just read your review and will be buying this case soon for my 5s.

Nice to see you too!
Definitely et it from Rustyvelvet, she's in Texas as well! (unless my memory is tricking me) Great case and AMAZING phone!

Chiba

Ramio

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2011
Houston, TeXas
Nice to see you too!
Definitely et it from Rustyvelvet, she's in Texas as well! (unless my memory is tricking me) Great case and AMAZING phone!

Chiba

I definitely will. Looks really cool and not too expensive. Loving the 5s and with this case, I'll be all set :)

Dascoyne

macrumors 6502
Mar 25, 2013
Palo Alto, Ca
I'm an accessory junkie and my biggest problem with the Magpul is that it's such a good design I can't find excuses to justify shopping for more cases. In terms of functionality this case has the essential features covered like no other case. I still buy and try out other hyped cases, but I always come back to the Magpul. It's a workhorse like no other case.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.