Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jpeppard

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 25, 2013
I have a 2013 macbook air, I have noticed that when I am running a disk intensive application or the Blackmagic speed test, if I put my ear to the keyboard, I can hear a high pitched whine that changes pitch rapidly.

Is this something that is present in all electrical devices to some degree? Am I just hearing coil whine or something like that?

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
There are quite a few threads over the PRO section of this, specially after users have upgraded their notebooks with third parties. Nothing to do, don't worry about it. Think of it as a replacement for the missing HD light.

robvas

macrumors 68040
Mar 29, 2009
USA
I have a 2013 macbook air, I have noticed that when I am running a disk intensive application or the Blackmagic speed test, if I put my ear to the keyboard, I can hear a high pitched whine that changes pitch rapidly.

Is this something that is present in all electrical devices to some degree? Am I just hearing coil whine or something like that?

It is possible to hear the CPU, it's fairly common. May be possible to hear the SSD too

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005

Don't put your ear to the keyboard then.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.