Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

macbook_air_13_20121.jpg
Apple today released MacBook Air Flash Storage Firmware Update 1.1 for the mid-2012 MacBook Air. The update tests the flash storage drives in these models to look for an issue that "may result in data loss" for 64 and 128GB models.

In most cases, the update merely installs new firmware, but in some cases Apple will replace the drive free of cost.
This firmware update is recommended for MacBook Air (mid 2012) models.

Apple has discovered that a small percentage of flash storage drives in these MacBook Air models have an issue that may result in data loss. This update tests your drive and, in the majority of cases, installs new firmware to resolve the issue. If your drive cannot be updated, Apple will replace it, free of charge.
The firmware update should be available on the Mac App Store for mid-2012 MacBook Airs and can also be downloaded from the Apple Support site.

Update: Apple has also initiated a Flash Storage Drive Replacement Program, which details how to get a faulty drive replaced. Users with an affected MacBook Air will be directed to the page after installing the firmware update.

Article Link: Apple Releases MacBook Air Flash Storage Firmware Update to Test for Data Loss Issue [Updated]

Matthew Yohe

macrumors 68020
Oct 12, 2006
Definitely a real issue.

My roommate had her Mid-2012 11" MBA just freeze one day, and then give a folder with a question mark on reboot. The SSD needed replacing.

Luckily, I had just installed a network attached storage for Time Machine backups just 3 days prior, and her data was safe.

aDRock1154

macrumors 65816
Nov 15, 2011
Ohio
It tells me my computer does not need this update. Does this mean I seriously have to replace my SSD since it won't install?

mag01

macrumors regular
Apr 10, 2011
It tells me my computer does not need this update. Does this mean I seriously have to replace my SSD since it won't install?
This is for Toshiba models TS064E and TS128E only. If you've got Samsung SM256E or SM512E - no fun with this update. :-D

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
Update installed successfully.. Scared me for a second, it restarted like 4 times and on the final restart it hung and I had to hit the power button.

aDRock1154

macrumors 65816
Nov 15, 2011
Ohio
Maybe you have got the nice Samsung SSD since you got the 256GB ;)

I just checked. I do indeed have a Samsung SSD.

That thread was very helpful! Seems I'm in the clear! Thank you!

There is more than one SSD for this MBA, you probably have the model that is not affected by this issue.

Yep, had no idea about different SSDs until now.

aperantos

macrumors regular
Feb 18, 2008
London, U.K.
My roommate had her Mid-2012 11" MBA just freeze one day, and then give a folder with a question mark on reboot. The SSD needed replacing.

I have had to go through that twice already with my Mid-2012 13" MBA with a 128MB SSD.

The first time was in June, the drive had shown corruption and so I tried to reboot into the recovery partition but instead I got the question mark folder. Running internet recovery it showed the SSD as being 33KB in size.

That time I got excellent service though, a next day appointment with my most convenient Apple Store (London Regent Street), took it in in the afternoon and was able to pick it up with a replaced drive only a few hours later. 24 hours from failure to restoring from my Time Machine.

But then the Sunday before last it happened again, this time with no corruption as a warning. It just froze while I was using it, and repowering it showed the same flashing folder and 33KB size. Unfortunately this time it took until Tuesday to get an appointment at any London Apple Store (White City) and then was not available to collect until this Monday.

I am just glad I made sure for the first time in two decades of using Macs to get Apple Care, even though I am still in the first year standard warranty.

This update at least makes me feel a little more confident that it is a known problem, and so this third SSD will have been tested for whatever was causing them to fail. Maybe that is why it took them so long to get the replacement part this time?

illmaticwes

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2010
Harrisburg, PA
SSD disappeared

I installed a firmware update a few weeks ago then my SSD started having issues and eventually the drive went away. Not sure if related. Just ordered new OWC 6g SSD but will cancel the order if this fix is related to the problem. I tried to install the patch but it said my machine does not need the update. I think thats because it cannot see the SSD. Should I contact apple and see if they replace my SSD for free and cancel the new SSD order? Anyone else with similar issue? 2012 MacAir 13"

netsped

macrumors 6502
Jul 8, 2008
My Macbook Air Mid 2012 SSD failed on late July, 2 days after the warranty expired. I was lucky enough to have Apple replace the SSD for free as I don't have AppleCare.

I'm really thrilled with Apple right now, this is them acknowledging that there IS an issue. I will be downloading this in a couple of hours, hopefully the SSD they replaced (although it is also a Toshiba) will pass the test... at least now I know that if it fails again I might be lucky enough to have it replaced for free another time.

What will happen to those that have a dead SSD and already replaced it with OWC or other alternative?

Hopefully, Apple increases the warranty on ALL of Mid-2012 MBAs for at least 3 years.

I'll do the test in a couple of hours, when I get home. Fingers crossed.

----------

I installed a firmware update a few weeks ago then my SSD started having issues and eventually the drive went away. Not sure if related. Just ordered new OWC 6g SSD but will cancel the order if this fix is related to the problem. I tried to install the patch but it said my machine does not need the update. I think thats because it cannot see the SSD. Should I contact apple and see if they replace my SSD for free and cancel the new SSD order? Anyone else with similar issue? 2012 MacAir 13"

YES, definitely do that. Check on the Macbook Air forums and you'll see it is a widespread issue.

Apple SHOULD replace all dead SSDs, at least the ones that are Toshiba 128GB from the Mid-2012 MBAs.

Zellio

macrumors 65816
Feb 7, 2012
People always have problems with the displays, ssd's, etc, that aren't made by samsung..

netsped

macrumors 6502
Jul 8, 2008
I couldn't resist and my SSD firmware was updated successfully.

Does this means that it will not die when it reaches 1 year of life?

Maybe Apple will also extend the warranty in a couple of months, once they realize that the rate of dead SSDs is higher than they originally thought.

Xe89

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2009
It seems that Filevault must be disabled in order to install the update, just like with the previous flash firmware update. Of course, Software update tells you nothing about this and instead will tell you to install the update over and over again.

vodkaPT

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2012
Lisbon, Portugal
and we have a winner...

v3dm.png

My current disk already fail in September... 14 Months after brought it. Thank god that the warranty in europe is two years. There was no SSD replace, the apple store somehow was apple to fix it, even after the genius guy mark the pc to "SSD replace".

Tuesday here I go again Apple store..

Last edited:

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2006
It seems that Filevault must be disabled in order to install the update, just like with the previous flash firmware update. Of course, Software update tells you nothing about this and instead will tell you to install the update over and over again.
I have Filevault enabled, along with using Bootcamp for Windows 8.1. The update installed just fine here.

Xe89

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2009
I have Filevault enabled, along with using Bootcamp for Windows 8.1. The update installed just fine here.
Are you sure? Even if it fails to install, it will tell you that it was installed.

The easiest way to confirm that it got installed is to check the revision number. Before it was TPVABBF0, now it is TQAABBF0.

netsped

macrumors 6502
Jul 8, 2008
Wow, now it's a problem recognized by Apple and will be covered for up to 3 years from purchase date.

My current SSD upgraded correctly (it was replaced by Apple a couple of months ago) but it's also a Toshiba (I think the same exact model I had before it failed).

The thing I don't understand is, what if the SSD fails within the 2 years of extended warranty but it upgraded correctly with the firmware posted today? Will Apple ignore this drives because they can't fail (according to the firmware test)?

fekimoki

macrumors member
Jun 2, 2006
Jakarta, Indonesia
I am one of the victim and SSD 64 GB already dead and I went for replacement from a friend's stock 128 GB SSD Toshiba that were came from his already sold MBA 2012.

1. Luckily I kept the broken SSD 64 GB in my drawer. Can I just bring those along with this MBA serial number to AASP?
2. I just installed the firmware to this 128 GB, and the popup said: Your SSD drive has been successfully updated with new firmware. <-- Does this means this Toshiba is safe and will not dead? It's Toshiba here not Samsung. I'm confused.

Thanks.

Matthew Yohe

macrumors 68020
Oct 12, 2006
1. Luckily I kept the broken SSD 64 GB in my drawer. Can I just bring those along with this MBA serial number to AASP?

I presume you'd need to put it in the MBA and tell them "it's broken" and have them put a new one in.

2. I just installed the firmware to this 128 GB, and the popup said: Your SSD drive has been successfully updated with new firmware. <-- Does this means this Toshiba is safe and will not dead? It's Toshiba here not Samsung. I'm confused.

Correct, clearly the issue is software related.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.